Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 05:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Statistics  (Read 24621 times)
steric
Donators

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »

I did a brief search but came up nil.

Does anyone know how many ACTIVE members are on this forum (not just a total because I'm sure many register and drop off the face of the earth as is quite common in forums).

How many people have downloaded the game? Or donated?

If I missed a stats link somewhere please help me find it:)

Thanks much,
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »

I did a brief search but came up nil.

Does anyone know how many ACTIVE members are on this forum (not just a total because I'm sure many register and drop off the face of the earth as is quite common in forums).

How many people have downloaded the game? Or donated?

If I missed a stats link somewhere please help me find it:)

Thanks much,

The "active members" is not easy to discern.

The most recent version of the game has been downloaded about 3000 times once I adjust for duplicate clicks.  The stand-alone server has been downloaded over 300 times... though I don't put much stock in that number since the previous release had over 500 downloads before someone finally told me it was busted. Tongue  I could show the stats on the download page but it is misleading since the raw counts consider every click to be a download and some users seem to have to click it multiple times.  To get accurate counts, I download the logs and dedupe on source IP.

There have only been 9 donators so far.  You are a member of an exclusive club at this point. Smiley
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »

Did you ever think about jumping on kickstarter.com?

A good marketing strategy could give you the boost to really get more financial support. It could be the difference between success and failure in many cases. Idk just thoughts.

Maybe get in with the humblebundles? I know that doesn't make serious money BUT getting the name out there even more WILL make money in the long run. Just to get the ball rolling.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:51:32 PM by steric » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »

Did you ever think about jumping on kickstarter.com?

Kickstarter is an all or nothing thing.  You either raise all the funds or you don't get them.  I cannot think of an amount that I could raise that would let me quit my job while actually being achievable.  On the other hand, without significant life changes, I can keep working on the game indefinitely... and most of the big changes are happening in the next six months, anyway.

A good marketing strategy could give you the boost to really get more financial support. It could be the difference between success and failure in many cases. Idk just thoughts.

Maybe get in with the humblebundles? I know that doesn't make serious money BUT getting the name out there even more WILL make money in the long run. Just to get the ball rolling.

I haven't even listed myself on indiedb yet.  I still get about 50% "minecraft hate" on the "open internet" so I wait for a few more distinguishing features.  There is a reason why I don't make my own "game play" videos yet... they tend to take a pretty good beating.  Though at least those winds are shifting a bit.

There are a few features that will be pretty distinctive and then I will put together some teaser videos to spread around.

Still, for an unadvertised game, I think 3000 downloads in a week is pretty good.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »

You have a very good point about Kickstarter.com - when you state it like that its clear that it isn't really for this situation.

I believe the winds will change about the Minecraft hate. I mean I believe that people will stop seeing "Minecraft clones" and (very soon) see that a new genre has birthed with all kinds of games that on the surface 'look' like Minecraft but are in fact very different.

I believe you even said that this game is (obviously) not based on mining. I mean its something that can be done, but is not the main focus.

People need to stop seeing the voxel concept as 'Minecraft brand' and start seeing it as a (for lack of a better word) graphics set or starting point for a fully editable gaming world.

I will think on this topic more. I still think that somewhere somehow there must be a marketing approach that can help.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »

Early on, the first problem the gaming community is facing is that at the offset, 'Minecraft clones' are exactly that: an attempt to simply copy EXACTLY the classic mining game. I mean everything from Fortresscraft to Roblox. Its just a copy with NO ORIGINAL CONTENT. This dynamic is working against you - because you are not doing this, but are pigeon-holed in with them... At least to people that don't take the time to look into it.

At the end of the day, if you produce a quality product, peoples minds and attitudes will change. The only thing I would be concerned with is if other teams are doing the same thing.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

Well, and right now Mythruna is essentially exactly like Minecraft creative because it's just a test engine.  The best way for me to test my engine was to let players put whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted.

When "game mode" is built out enough that it is the default mode, then things start to get clearer.

But on top of that, a few other features will resonate as "different" when they are included in the stock game, I hope. 

...when I can show a generated city with a thriving NPC population.

...when I can show a video of chopping a tree down... like hack hack hack... "Timber!" as it falls over sideways.

...when I can shoot a video of a house burning down and collapsing under its own weight as the flames sap its supporting structure.

...when there is a bobbing sailing ship at the docks that you can talk to the captain or purser and book passage.

...when you can forge your own sword in any shape you want, etc.

...creating your own magic based devices.

...glimpses of the seven races of Mythruna.

Some of these are not too far off and can be nice 30 second glimpses into "what's different".  Short and to the point.

I have a written story-board for a trailer.  I'm considering turning it into an simple mostly hand-drawn animatic when I have more concept art completed.  Then filling in the sections that get implemented as they come online.  I just have to see where the work takes me.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »

Everything seems reasonable to me except the following. Please consider I am a complete novice when it comes to coding. And I know this sounds ignorant but the following items just sort of sound a bit of a reach:

...when I can show a video of chopping a tree down... like hack hack hack... "Timber!" as it falls over sideways.

...when I can shoot a video of a house burning down and collapsing under its own weight as the flames sap its supporting structure.

It is funny that you mention the tree falling because the weird floating tree physics is one of the first things I noticed in Minecraft. Its almost like a trademark quark of Minecraft. Because of this, I think you should push for the tree physics. It will seperate you out even more so.

Other than that everything else sounds reasonable. A well-edited trailer released on youtube could go a long way.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

Everything seems reasonable to me except the following. Please consider I am a complete novice when it comes to coding. And I know this sounds ignorant but the following items just sort of sound a bit of a reach:

You mean "bit of a reach" as in "too hard to do"?

The physics engine can already handle falling over trees... it's only determining that a set of blocks is a tree that is tricky.

Actually, fire is even easier from a "collapsing building" perspective.

The physics engine is quite far along in this case.  It misses efficient networking and it's the object->object interaction that is unstable.  Object->world is about as good as it will get and could certainly handle these cases.  A tree falling over into a burning house might be hard if the house is already collapsing. Smiley

Physics will probably get included in the game without object->object interaction at first.  The rest is still pretty cool.

It is funny that you mention the tree falling because the weird floating tree physics is one of the first things I noticed in Minecraft. Its almost like a trademark quark of Minecraft. Because of this, I think you should push for the tree physics. It will seperate you out even more so.

Other than that everything else sounds reasonable. A well-edited trailer released on youtube could go a long way.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »

That is reassuring to know. That would really be an amazing addition that would set this game apart.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

Finally I have to ask. What is your take on piracy? Specifically people illegally downloading and using programs that are normally to be paid for.

It is just an interesting topic that I like to hear different developers opinions on.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »

Finally I have to ask. What is your take on piracy? Specifically people illegally downloading and using programs that are normally to be paid for.

It is just an interesting topic that I like to hear different developers opinions on.

I think I've written snippets about this elsewhere but maybe not all together.

First, there are two levels of piracy.  Level 1 is the normal stuff we think about.  Some dude pirates the game for his own use or to pass around to his friends.  Level 2 piracy is where someone sells illegal copies of the game.

Level 1 piracy is bad but mostly because of inertia.  The mistake is believing that a pirate is a missed customer.  It's not like stealing a physical item that not only deprives you of that sale but the real sale of the physical item to a paying customer.  There is no tangible product here and an extra download costs me basically nothing.  So it's only the initial missed sale that is in discussion.

Pirates don't really buy games and you will be unlikely to convert them to customers because of that.  Moreover, the harder you make a game to pirate the more of a challenge it will be... the pirating becomes the game to them.  I don't really want to play that game.

But, if level 1 piracy is rampant then you risk cases where your game is easier to pirate than it is to buy and play.  Games with heavy DRM, or that require "phoning home", etc. are more ripe for potentially legitimate customers trying out a cracked version that they found somewhere.  So that's the inertia I was talking about.

In my opinion, a game on one side needs to make sure that it is as easy as possible for honest, law-abiding players to pay for that game.  And on the other side, it needs to make it inconvenient to casually pirate it... either through value-added accounts or just the most basic copy protection.  For the average user, it needs to be easier to buy than to pirate it and it needs to be reasonably priced.  Mythruna will go with the "value-added" account approach.  With luck, it's also relatively uninteresting to pirate and so you won't find a cracked version of your game on every warez site in the world.

Level 2 piracy is outright theft and covered by any number of real criminal laws including fraud, misrepresentation, etc..  These are the easier ones to prosecute because there is a money trail... well, if it's done in a country where the legal system can handle such things.  (And if not, you are in a similar situation to level 1 piracy anyway.  Someone buying your game for pennies isn't going to be able to afford a many dollar price tag.)

This post from Wolfire games really resonated with me:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Another-view-of-game-piracy

It nicely stated (with numbers in some cases) the way I've felt about this for a long time.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »

Interesting stuff.

Waay back on the original topic, there is the Members tab at the top, along with Home, Profile, etc. If you want more info, you can look at the statistics page. the link is at the bottom of the Home tab, and is labeled 'more stats'.
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

Yeah I read the link. That seems the most logical approach to statistically dealing with piracy. I honestly hate DRM. As was mentioned I believe it only hurts the honest guys.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »

Well, I personally do not have any good opinions besides "Copy the minecraft one" where to play online you need to buy, but if you just wanna try feel free to pirate it and play the SP... but I secretly hoping someone can give Paul a better idea Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: