Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 02:08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Games I've been playing recently  (Read 13464 times)
steric
Donators

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »

Just got Zombie Atom Smasher:
seems somewhat decent. Idk if it was worth ten bucks.

Just bought KOTOR (star wars):
I've played this before and loved it

Dungeons of Dreadmore:
I LOVEEEEEEEED The Binding of Isaac so I got this game. Idk how I feel yet... Anybody play it?

Ace of Spades:
Its ok, I mean anyone can run it  but I think the fun potential gets limited when this happens.

What you guys been playing? Send some recommendations (PC only and the more indie the better).
diegokilla

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »

Terraria, Dwarf Fortress, Vessel, APB:Reloaded

Dwarf Fortress is the best out of these imho, also it's free Tongue
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

Terraria, Dwarf Fortress, Vessel, APB:Reloaded

Dwarf Fortress is the best out of these imho, also it's free Tongue

yeah I've had Terraria since the day it came out... I really don't know how to feel about it. I mean EXCELLENT sound effects and music. BUUTTT I'm ishy on the control scheme. Idk I mean its worth 10 bucks ez.

Dwarf Fortress is awesome. I mean I spent 3 solid weeks conquering the learning curve but for some reason I don't play it anymore. I think it goes without saying that it needs a better GUI. I haven't played the other two. What are they about?
diegokilla

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »

Vessel is a 2d side-scrolling fluid based physics puzzle game (damn that's a mouthful Tongue )
and
APB:R is a F2P cops vs. robbers shooter set in an open city, with car combat etc. (think Grand Theft Auto)

Also if you haven't seen, DF just got a HUGE update. Adventure mode is FUN now ( not just !FUN!)
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »

Ok I will check them out!

Yeah that is cool about DF but I think I'm done with that game. I did enjoy it.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »

I've mostly played Mount&Blade WB, Mythruna, and Ace of Spades.
I LOVE KotOR, but I wouldn't buy them, since they are over relatively fast, I just get them from the library.
Some other interesting games I have, but haven't played recently, are Tank Universal and Splinter Cell (I think it's the first one and Pandora Tomorrow)
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »

Nice sounds like some fun games. What do you mean get them from the library? I remember KotOR being a lengthy game.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »

Nice sounds like some fun games. What do you mean get them from the library? I remember KotOR being a lengthy game.

Length is relative, I guess but I also remember KotOR being a lengthy game.  I bought it full price "back in the day" because I like to encourage companies to develop those kinds of games.

I just got Neverwinter Nights 1 Diamond Edition in the mail today.  It had finally dipped below $20.  I had all of the originals that I'd purchased separately but lost more than half the disks in a fire I had 3 years ago... so it's nice to have them again though I probably won't play them.  It's enough to know that I can.  (Plus, my son will be "of age" for that sort of thing soon and I might as well start him on one of the best.)
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »

I recall Kotor taking me 20 - 24 hours to finish. But I suppose I usually don't explore much- I finished Dragon Age in 30 hours Tongue.

I would like to recommend the first Fable game (with The Lost Chapters expansion), since you enjoyed an Xbox-era rpg.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »

20-40 hours is usually what I target these days.  I'm one of those guys that actually likes the fact that I'll finish a game in 25 hours (when the reviewers criticize that, I give a silent cheer.)

But I think my KotOR or KotOR 2 times were in the 40-60 hours range.  Hard to say.  Anything over 60 and I'll probably never finish it.

The nice thing about KotOR 1+2 is that I could play them with my son hanging out with me.  And he's finally old enough to watch me play the Uncharted series.  Resident Evil is out of the question, though. Smiley

re: Fable.  I have it in a box but I've never played it.  I used to be addicted to the discount rack until I stopped being able to remember what I'd already bought.  But Fable was actually one of the games that I bought thinking I might be in the mood for it someday.  Of course, the really sad thing is the "Mass Effect" (1 even) box sitting there pleading with me every time I walk by... dusty, forlorn.  It was only opened so that I could read the manual one day when I thought I might actually play it.

Hmmm... it is possible that I started Mythruna that weekend instead.  It would make a good story, anyway. Wink
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »

Yeah I actually have the same philosophy with video games as I do with films: Contrary to what most film makers believe, an exceptionally lengthy film does not automatically make it 'epic'. Video games can also be considered in the same way. The art of elegance is finding the appropriate length for the movie/game.

I finished both portals in one sitting (each). Now some games like Skyrim are lengthy and are epic but people with busy progressive lives typically cannot invest that much time in one game.

Anyways, yeah I did play through Fable 1 on xbox. Thanks for the recommendation though.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

I went to the library, and I checked them out. (actually, I reserved them, but whatever.)

I guess they did last a long time, I always play that sort of thing super-thorough, all the sidequests possible (non-dark-side), and I probably took a good 50 hours on the first one... but it ended... and it was so wonderful... while it lasted... ::sniff::  Cry
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »

I heard the second one was not nearly as good. Can anybody yes or no this?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

I went to the library, and I checked them out. (actually, I reserved them, but whatever.)

I guess they did last a long time, I always play that sort of thing super-thorough, all the sidequests possible (non-dark-side), and I probably took a good 50 hours on the first one... but it ended... and it was so wonderful... while it lasted... ::sniff::  Cry

Metal Gear Solid 4... even with the 900 hours of cut scenes... when it was done, I still wanted to play some more.  And now, no matter what first-person shooter or first-person-shooter-like game I play, I have an urge to drop to the ground and let my octo-camo engage.

I had never played any of the MGS games before so I didn't really know what to expect.  When things got "unconventional", it really took me by surprise.  The first time I saw the boss bad-guys, I nearly had to go change my clothes... then you get kind of used to them.  Though I guess the weird two-legged robot things in the very beginnings should have clued me in.  That game just kept getting weirder and weirder.

It would be like if Half-life had started out as a regular war/tactics shooter and then several hours into the game you started seeing the aliens and then not too far into that they giant multi-legged creature things.  It's a little less shocking when (like in Half-life) you start out in the middle of weird right from the beginning.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

I heard the second one was not nearly as good. Can anybody yes or no this?

Second KotOR?  Yeah, maybe.  I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to such things and I really enjoyed the second one.  I thought it had a lot of potential but felt unfinished in some ways.  Turns out there was a lot of content that they stubbed out at the end because the ran out of time.  I heard there was a project online to restore it... which included entirely new worlds and stuff.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: