Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 02:20:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Custom Blocks  (Read 5388 times)
diegokilla

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »

First off, sorry if this belongs somewhere else. Also, I know I'm prolly a bit new here to be posting suggestions but I think this is a pretty legitimate one.

Basically, you could use the blueprint system to create a custom block that would be its own block type, similar to the object tool. The main difference being that you just plop it down like any other block and it snaps to the block your reticle is on, just like any other block. I understand that this is kind of possible right now with the blueprint tool (make something within 4x4 and then use the snap tools) but the time taken to achieve this could be severely downsized with a separate tool imho.

This sounded a bit better in my head, but I think I got the point across  Undecided
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »

It would still be a separate object, though.  The snapping would be imposed upon it just like with the snap tools.

My fear would be that it makes it too easy to plop down 1000 objects... they are not really free, performance-wise.

I could probably optimize the engine around them but I think it would confuse people to have another type of thing that behaves almost like an object but mostly like a block.  Optimization would most likely make them static parts of the scene, never to be dragged again.  So I have no real plans to do this, but we'll see.
diegokilla

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »

Makes sense. Perhaps an "auto-snap-to-grid" type setting/feature? Or would that still pose the problem of too many player dropping too many objects?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »

Makes sense. Perhaps an "auto-snap-to-grid" type setting/feature? Or would that still pose the problem of too many player dropping too many objects?

It's probably useful.  And anyway, when the object placement tool is converted to a "game mode" tool then it would be easy to add an auto-snapping version also.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »

Easy to do by a modder/scripter, I mean.  Even if I didn't get around to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: