Mythruna
April 29, 2024, 04:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Euclideon  (Read 39757 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »

I won't even begin to go into the details of why time travel is impossible... but for your entertainment

Heheh.  Nice.  It's funny because if you really work through the details of what a time machine would need to be capable of doing you get really close to what the TARDIS in Doctor Who can do.  And they sort of came at that backwards through convenient narrative devices (I've seen it from the beginning except the missing episodes).

And if you had two time machines that were built to last, you could travel anywhere in the universe instantaneously.

Even if you couldn't easily prove that time travel is impossible, the thought experiments showing all of the ridiculous things that would be possible do cast it in a definite improbable light.

But the fantasy-loving side of my brain really wants it to be possible... so I will easily suspend disbelief for almost any time-travel device (in fiction).
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »

Think about this...

So someone makes time travel and changes his history then he changes everything because of the ripple effect and the flaws become huge... as the world either becomes amazing or shit with wars and what not... so that person travels back to that time to stop himself from doing what he did. Then if he showed someone that he came back from the future and they believed him and made him a millionair and he changed history and then he acidently killed himself since he changed the history in which he worked so hard to create. like he worked super hard to create time travel only to defet his hard work by traveling back in time so he could win lotto like 4 times and get all the women XD btw did you know that in canada the lotto banns people from entering into lotto if they have won more then 2 times because of the threat of time travel

XD hope i mindfucked yall Tongue
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:25:05 AM by FutureB » Logged

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »

Not really... and the ripple effect is just a theory, for all we know we could be dealing with parallel universes.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »

Not really... and the ripple effect is just a theory, for all we know we could be dealing with parallel universes.

Yeah.  There is some sci-fi out there that deals with nearly every variation.

In one case, time is mutable and you can go back and change your own past.  These are usually tightly contained story lines that ignore the larger ramifications ("Back to the Future", Star Trek) or basically disaster movies.

In another case, you are creating parallel universes.  This is plausible if you believe in Einsteins description of the different dimensions.  Also, it explains why you still have all of the memories of your own history.  So either you return to your own time and your own universe and nothing has been affected, or you return to a parallel universe and your memories are of a different universe.

In yet another case, time is not mutable.  No matter what you try to do to change your own past, something will intercede to stop you because it couldn't have happened for you to be there.  I thought the movie the Time Machine covered this one pretty well.  If the scientist was able to somehow go back and save his girlfriend then he never would have invented a time machine.

Still another story I saw had the time travelers return to their own time and it was different... but all of the new histories were folded into their memory with the old ones.  If they changed too many things too many times then they started to go crazy.

Gotta love fiction for exploring this stuff.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 12:13:41 PM »

Since we've totally changed topics, here's something related to time..
MinutePhysics: Einstein and The Special Theory of Relativity
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

Actually, you just showed it was possible. But nobody would know if he really did until they find no traces of his bodeh. Time travel requires light speed... SPEED. But that's impossible(?) to achieve. So who knows.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »

Time travel is possible, and in fact we are doing it right now. Controlling our travels through time is harder. According to Einstein, at the speed of light, you will experience no time. From the video, that would be when the planes are vertical. I don't see how you would reverse your personal time-flow under Einstein, but I could be wrong. We can certainly 'slow down' time, relative to each other. The clocks on some satellites orbiting Earth have gotten behind our measurements, because they are moving relatively fast, so that part works.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »

I can can see why going forward in time could work... but not back in time.
Flies actually see the whole world alot slower then humans, hence why they know exactly how to escape your hand of terror.
But if you think about how the human mind is programmed, the question is: Does the flies brain work faster then ours allowing it to get more detail about the world around it faster then humans... and somehow simulating slow time movement... or is the flies brain simply slower making it take thinks in slower then ours allowing it to see things slower...
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »

Changing the past is impossible, you can only travel to the point time-trav... Time travel was... NOOO I FIGURED IT OUT! Since time travel is impossible because satellites alread time travel right? And you can only travel back to when time travel was invented. IT WAS INVENTED AT THE BEGINNING OF TIME AND SPACE! So why aren't we seeing people from the future? BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBRU! *understands it all* or this is just mixing two theories together.

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »

Changing the past is impossible, you can only travel to the point time-trav... Time travel was... NOOO I FIGURED IT OUT! Since time travel is impossible because satellites alread time travel right? And you can only travel back to when time travel was invented. IT WAS INVENTED AT THE BEGINNING OF TIME AND SPACE! So why aren't we seeing people from the future? BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBRU! *understands it all* or this is just mixing two theories together.

Satellites are moving fast enough relative to earth that time between us and them gets behind. They aren't going back in time, it just slows down a bit, relative to us.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »

Don't try to prove me wrong bra. You just said we are already time traveling xD

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »

Don't try to prove me wrong bra. You just said we are already time traveling xD

I said we were going forwards through time...
diegokilla

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »

Just wanted to say that when you guys go off-topic, you completely derail XD
Cool stuff though, other than the fact that my brain hurts now -.-

pspeed
Still another story I saw had the time travelers return to their own time and it was different... but all of the new histories were folded into their memory with the old ones.  If they changed too many things too many times then they started to go crazy.

Where did you see this? Seem really interesting.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »

Just wanted to say that when you guys go off-topic, you completely derail XD
Cool stuff though, other than the fact that my brain hurts now -.-

pspeed

Where did you see this? Seem really interesting.

It was an Outer Limits I think.  The recent ones not the old black and white ones.  I woman invented a time machine so that she could go back and execute convicted murderers/rapists before they had committed their crimes.  She started to go nuts so she enlisted the help of another woman to take over for her.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:36:15 PM by SleeperCell #42 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: