Mythruna
April 26, 2024, 12:30:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Notch's New Game?  (Read 7620 times)
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »

Apparently Notch, the beloved creator of Minecraft (as if I needed to say that), has begun working on a new science fiction game, and it's vaguely similar to Minecraft (not really).

http://www.0x10c.com/ How would you pronounce that? It seems nobody knows!

This game takes place about 200 - 300 trillion years in the future, long after the formation of stars has ended. The player is the owner or pilot of his own spaceship. The game will include many interesting things such as engineering, computers/programming, space and planetary exploration, and player to player interaction, like an MMO (both singleplayer and multiplayer are planned).

Notch is currently working on models, as you can see in his recent livestreams, http://www.twitch.tv/notch , and this screenshot gallery, formed by the game's new forum http://www.0x10cforum.com/gallery .

In my opinion, this is quite ambitious. The planned features for the game sound amazing, and Notch has said he will try his best to make it as realistic as possible. I hope he can atleast manage to complete something nice. Smiley Discuss?

Also, the game's pitch reminds me alot of Noctis IV, a small game about exploring randomly generated planets. I wonder if that is an inspiration and if anyone even knows what I'm talking about. Tongue

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

Eh... if he actually makes all the features he lists it would be a bad ass game... starting to like the lore... but wait... what's this... AND HE'S MAKING IT IN JAVA AGAIN!
Rage City Angry
Danutron

no comment

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »

Grin cant wait for pre alpha for that game

getting easily lost inside my creations
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »

Eh... if he actually makes all the features he lists it would be a bad ass game... starting to like the lore... but wait... what's this... AND HE'S MAKING IT IN JAVA AGAIN!
Rage City Angry
There's nothing wrong with Java. Notch learns from mistakes you know. + He knows alot more about java now. Instead of Minecraft where he gets a team to help him develop (coders) and it gets jumbled up.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »

What else would he make it in?
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »

It certainly looks like it could be cool.
It could be pronounced: "zero times ten to the c" or "zeroxtensee".
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »

IDK... a real game programming language... I really don't care what he writes it in, as long it is a good game. However performance wise C++ or something else would be better Sad but meh beggars can't be choosers.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »

IDK... a real game programming language... I really don't care what he writes it in, as long it is a good game. However performance wise C++ or something else would be better Sad but meh beggars can't be choosers.

Just some facts on why Java development might be preferred:
C++ development takes approximately 8x longer... only 4x longer if you have a super team. (I have never met one of these teams.)

3D game performance is mostly related to the GPU speed unless your code is really bad.

In some cases, Java can out-perform C++ because it's optimized per-platform at runtime and a C++ exe (usually) is optimized to a common platform when built.  Games sometimes go through great pains to include multiple compiled versions to avoid this... and they might be able to swap them out at runtime as needed.  Java hotspot can optimize based on usage.

Java easily deploys on several platforms simultaneously (which is why Mythruna deploys to Mac and Linux)... and lately or soon can cross-compile to many more.  (Android is one example where jMonkeyEngine apps can deploy to "out of the box" if the footprint is right and a jME dev is working on cross-compiling to iPhone)

Really, the biggest weakness of Java for something like games is the unpredictability of the garbage collector.  This is what I struggle with for Mythruna.  (I have most of the GC issues licked and we think we may have found a place deep in jMonkeyEngine where the last GC troll is lurking.)  And at any rate, control of the garbage collector is improving all the time.

And considering that the most profitable games are written in Flash makes the whole discussion kind of funny from a certain perspective. Smiley  But I know what you mean.  I'd probably not write a cutting-edge triple-A 3D, to-the-metal, engine in Java... but I sure as heck would consider it for the rest of the app.  And let's be honest, none of us are trying to implement Farcry. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: