Mythruna
April 26, 2024, 08:27:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Pics of Generated Buildings  (Read 21949 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

As I play with generated buildings, I come up with some screen shots that I think are call and nice and teasing... so I will post them here (as well as on Facebook where these already appear).

Here is a bunch of random buildings after I added a "gable" part.  This is my flat test area.

Same town with a quarter moon over it... thought it looked cool and shows one of the phases of the moon:

For fun and to test out some ground placement ideas I'm working on, I plopped a bunch of random buildings into the woods and connected them by some hand built dirt roads.  For good measure, I plopped down a few street lights.  A real forest village would probably be mostly limited to two story tall buildings and they'd probably have removed more trees inside the village itself.

Same town, different vantage point, at sunrise:

Same town, similar vantage point with a nearly full moon rising in the background.
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »

I am getting giddy with this look into the future of Mythruna.  I can't wait to take a stroll down a random village.  Grin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »

I made a sample town with random buildings on the server near what will some day be the new spawn point.  (1422 x 1181)

I added a little road and some street lights.  The only thing I changed about these buildings is that I made sure they all had doors and I added ladders to get to the upper floors.  I think there were one or two cases where I cut a new upstairs doorway to get to an isolated room.  (The generator is still not smart about doors.)
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55:46 AM »

I loe how u manage to make these basic little houses look so cool :pa whole city of them all in the same theme will be sick

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »

Ooh wow, this looks WAY awesome! Just to see, almost perfectly randomly generated buildings, its amazing! Unlike some other game that tried doing it, this looks alot better, and will go MUCH farther! Can't wait to see them animals walking around it Cheesy GET OUT OF MAH HOUSE PIG!
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »

Looks like its moving right along! I'm gonna have to play again soon, I think.

I noticed that your quarter moon had a star in it. You might want to fix that, because it looks fake.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

omg

How did you make them handle messed up ground? Do they build a foundation around it or...?
And also are the houses random or do they have a set design?
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »

Questions: These villages/town will be randomly appearing around the landscape  right? (I. E. the world generator  will make towns as It does forests, islands etc)

Will there be an option or command to just place a random house? Sort of point targeting icon at the ground and use a "spawn house" option.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

Looks like its moving right along! I'm gonna have to play again soon, I think.

I noticed that your quarter moon had a star in it. You might want to fix that, because it looks fake.

This is the "known issue" with the moon but I don't have time to fix it right now.  I tried the easy ways so it will wait for another time... but the new moon is cool enough that I want to roll it out anyway.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

omg

How did you make them handle messed up ground? Do they build a foundation around it or...?

The carve out the land at a specific level and will fill in rock foundations (for this template).  I haven't implemented anything for steeper cliff side stuff but I have ideas for that too.  I posted about that in the blog group on these forums.

And also are the houses random or do they have a set design?

They are random but these are all from the same template.  Meaning that they are all essentially "square" and they choose from the same set of parts (I posted pics of the individual parts in the other thread).  Ultimately there will also be rectangle and L-shapes, H-shapes, etc. templates... and a whole bunch of different sets of "parts".  With the ability for modders to develop their own parts and templates.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Questions: These villages/town will be randomly appearing around the landscape  right? (I. E. the world generator  will make towns as It does forests, islands etc)

Yes, exactly.  Eventually prepopulated with NPCs and everything.

Will there be an option or command to just place a random house? Sort of point targeting icon at the ground and use a "spawn house" option.

The only option planned for the full game is to be able to place plots in your city and designate them for certain use.  So you could place a "black smith" plot or a "house" plot and NPCs would come build those buildings.  (insert longer description of town management here) Smiley
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

I went to the village and I must say; I really like what I see  Cheesy Walking through the houses I was picturing what would become various rooms: kitchen, storage, bedrooms. I like how some of the top floors (attic) don't have a floor, which results in a 'loft' from the floor below.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »

I went to the village and I must say; I really like what I see  Cheesy Walking through the houses I was picturing what would become various rooms: kitchen, storage, bedrooms. I like how some of the top floors (attic) don't have a floor, which results in a 'loft' from the floor below.

Thanks. Smiley  So nice that everyone notices that loft thing.  Having one floor randomly connect to the next was an interesting trick.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

Thanks. Smiley  So nice that everyone notices that loft thing.  Having one floor randomly connect to the next was an interesting trick.
Yes, that was really different, and a fun thing to see! I think I'll make more buildings like that!!!
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »

Paul, if it is okay with you, I made a short video showing a walkthrough of the village: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfdOO3Adg8
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: