Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 10:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grass  (Read 6553 times)
ahmadsal

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »

Quick question here. Does grass affect performance much, since it uses an animation but switching the /grass option does nothing to performance (I know that is not why you put it there). I'm thinking about covering up all grass blocks in the enclosed area with grass/flowers blocks to make it look more animated and colorful. Swaying grass looks much better than flat grass.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

If grass slows performance then it is not because of the animation because that is just a shader trick.

The only peformance issue is that it uses semi-transparent textures which can slow down some cards, I guess... not more than a ton of glass would, I guess.

The /grass low, /grass medium, and /grass medium2 commands can be used to narrow down where there is a performance issue for those that have them.  But if /grass low is no different than /grass normal on your card (same for me) then you probably don't have to worry too much about it.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »

1: That shader trick slows down my laptop + A Desktop computer we have. (I found this out by using a GLSL shader mod that has waving wheat/grass) :/ And dynamic shadows that only use the sun to cast. And man, does it run slow.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »

1: That shader trick slows down my laptop + A Desktop computer we have. (I found this out by using a GLSL shader mod that has waving wheat/grass) :/ And dynamic shadows that only use the sun to cast. And man, does it run slow.

Unless you try all of the other options I added then you have no basis for making that statement.  Grass is different than other materials in more than just a free animation.  If the grass animation is slowing you down then so are the clouds.

Anyway, the tests will say for sure but you have to run all of them and I will be able to tell where the slow down comes from.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »

ok. my system didn't slow down but I was checking before I go full scale. grass does look very good , makes it look twice as amazing. I'de hate not to be able to play with grass.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »

ok. my system didn't slow down but I was checking before I go full scale. grass does look very good , makes it look twice as amazing. I'de hate not to be able to play with grass.

Grass is not going away.  I like it too. Smiley

I just want to know exactly why it is slow on some cards because it might help me provide them with a better low quality mode than the one that exists now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: