Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 07:51:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Slots  (Read 20581 times)
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »

So what exactly happens when a player dies? Is it just teleport to nearest town, or do you lose some stuff, or is it simply the character died and you need to start with a new character?

No perma-death.  I'd certainly have to support quick saves and rollbacks in that case.  No fun for anyone.

Death will have consequences but they won't be of the "Crap, I need to run all the way back to where all my stuff is on the ground..." kind.

I haven't decided exactly how death will work but I'm pretty sure it takes you away from where you died and that you still keep all of your stuff.  There may be some amount of "adventuring" involved to become fully "alive" again but I haven't exactly figured that out yet.  I've implemented spirit realms and limbo planes in other games and I'm semi-fond of that approach.  And this would fit nicely with what will be the core of teleportation tech.

At any rate, you won't have to run back to where you died for any reason other than wanting to try again... so you could decide, "Nah, that's too hard let me do something else" with basically no consequences for that action other than all the trouble you may have stirred up in some other location.
DUDE, You HAVE to go with the spirit realm idea! Me and dad will work on a mod soon for Minecraft, wich will do the same thing :3 You could have 3 options for dieing, if you die it pops up a gui with these options:

Option 1: Respawn, you will respawn at your spawn point, but lose ALL items you currently had, and will have to go find them if you want to have them back... ((For the new players that just started that don't want to have to go though a trial))

Option 2: Ghost, you turn into a ghost where you died, but have to wander around for a bit and find some sort of ressurrect thingy ma-bob... And ores look like stone while in ghost form, so you can't wander in caves with your new found powers to find ores :3

Option 3: Dead Trial, you go to a spirit realm and have to find the end to come back to life... After that, you can choose to re-birth at spawn with all items and NO 'defects', or back at your body, again, no 'defects'... The Spirit Realm will be like maze sort of place, with a few ghostly monsters that will try and stop you, if they touch you, you go back to the start :3 And it should be randomly generated each time :3
Andy
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »

spirit realms and limbo planes

What is that exactly? Like some sort of temple where they raise adventurers from the dead?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

One of the MUDs I used to play, you became a ghost/undead looking thing and could wander around the land.  You couldn't open doors or anything because you were non-corporeal.  I also sort of remember that whenever you chatted with anyone it all came out like a bunch of zombie groans.

If you stood around idle it would post messages about all of the disgusting things you were doing. "Joe just ate a bit of his own intestines."  "Bob popped out an eyeball and put it in his other socket." and stuff like that.

When you died, you spawned as a ghost in the necromancers cave.  You could try to hunt him down and kill him to get your soul back and stuff.  Alternately, you could just wander far away and pray at this particular mountain and you'd be resurrected.  I think it cost gold.

I have to fit whatever I do into the mythos of the world... so I will wait to decide on death until near the end.  I will have a better handle on the non-existant eighth race, teleportation magic, spirit crystals, necromancers, undead, etc... and that will hopefully guide the decisions better.  Also, any sort of fugue or spirit plane, I want it to look really bizarre.  So I won't even consider what that will look like until I have flowing water/lava/energy/smoke/etc and other engine effects done.  It should be a place completely different than the mundane world.

I will say that the entry points back to the real world will be spirit crystals (for simple communication) and teleporters (for returning) when those teleporters are based on spirit energy.  Since every spirit crystal represents an energy gateway into the spirit plane.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »

What is that exactly? Like some sort of temple where they raise adventurers from the dead?

No, it would be like a completely separate "world" where you'd wander to figure out how to get out.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »

Its like, another planet, but its in the same exact location that the earth is at... Thats an example of what a Plane is... Or realm...
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

One of the MUDs I used to play, you became a ghost/undead looking thing and could wander around the land.  You couldn't open doors or anything because you were non-corporeal.  I also sort of remember that whenever you chatted with anyone it all came out like a bunch of zombie groans.

If you stood around idle it would post messages about all of the disgusting things you were doing. "Joe just ate a bit of his own intestines."  "Bob popped out an eyeball and put it in his other socket." and stuff like that.

When you died, you spawned as a ghost in the necromancers cave.  You could try to hunt him down and kill him to get your soul back and stuff.  Alternately, you could just wander far away and pray at this particular mountain and you'd be resurrected.  I think it cost gold.

I have to fit whatever I do into the mythos of the world... so I will wait to decide on death until near the end.  I will have a better handle on the non-existant eighth race, teleportation magic, spirit crystals, necromancers, undead, etc... and that will hopefully guide the decisions better.  Also, any sort of fugue or spirit plane, I want it to look really bizarre.  So I won't even consider what that will look like until I have flowing water/lava/energy/smoke/etc and other engine effects done.  It should be a place completely different than the mundane world.

I will say that the entry points back to the real world will be spirit crystals (for simple communication) and teleporters (for returning) when those teleporters are based on spirit energy.  Since every spirit crystal represents an energy gateway into the spirit plane.
I think, that in the realm, it should have like floating water, and lava, smoke ETC, EX. You could see a floating stream of water float infront of you, over the ... Walkway? Your passing over... But wait, are you upside down? Or are you turned to the left, or... oor.... ore.... DIamond Ore....
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »

Loading saves/quicksaves sounds hard, Loading all the preset establishments/world block rollbacks. And by hard I mean it would take awhile to just load them.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »

Loading saves/quicksaves sounds hard, Loading all the preset establishments/world block rollbacks. And by hard I mean it would take awhile to just load them.

It shouldn't be. It's like saving another database folder as backup, with some extra stuff associated with AI, and loading it as you load a game now, just with a bit more info.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

It shouldn't be. It's like saving another database folder as backup, with some extra stuff associated with AI, and loading it as you load a game now, just with a bit more info.

You basically end up copying the whole mythruna.db as the game stands.  And that can get quite large.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

How about you lose a couple items?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

How about you lose a couple items?

Which ones?

There is no good answer to that question.

Time is the one commodity that the player can readily replace and is still precious enough to sting.  That can't be said for much else.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: