Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 02:25:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Language Translation?  (Read 9872 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »

Will you please add a translator to the chat so people that speak different languages can communicate?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »

No.  It's not possible.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:53 AM »

It's possible.. Well, the Mythruna game would need to know what language you have set to, and then have a database of words for each language. Haha, portable google translate implements right into your game! :p.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Andy
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:33:24 AM »

IMHO it's not a good idea to add a translator.
1) too much work, the database would also be too big
2) some language's sentence structure can be very different and you can't translate word by word (example: "Wie geht es dir?" ->"How goes it you?" (How are you? GER->ENG), "L'union européenne" -> "The union european" (the european union FRA->ENG))
3) The english language is one of the first foreign languages you learn at school (and many people speak it)

There is the possibility that defined sentences (e.g. menus, help screens, talking to NPCs...) can be translated but the chat system should/can not.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »

It's possible.. Well, the Mythruna game would need to know what language you have set to, and then have a database of words for each language. Haha, portable google translate implements right into your game! :p.

You are seriously under-estimating the complexity and size of the database required.  Google has been working the translation thing for over a decade at least, I guess... and they had the benefit of all of things like the United Nations documents that were translated by real people to a bunch of different languages.

At best there might be a way to hook into google translate but I'm guessing it won't be free.  And it's imperfect because everything has to be spelled correctly.  I frequently cut and paste things from the chat log into google translate and I can only understand what's going on part of the time.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

Haha I know, I wasn't under-estimating the size. It would be a .txt of every (Known) word of every language in the world (Depending on what languages you want translated), and then a script that would have to place "This" word into "That" word in order to do a translation. Which would be pointless years of scripting to do. Though there are those simple scripts like censoring words on a server or replacing them with different words Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »

Haha I know, I wasn't under-estimating the size. It would be a .txt of every (Known) word of every language in the world (Depending on what languages you want translated), and then a script that would have to place "This" word into "That" word in order to do a translation. Which would be pointless years of scripting to do. Though there are those simple scripts like censoring words on a server or replacing them with different words Smiley

No, it's much much worse than that since you can't translate just word to word.  You kind of have to do it phrase to phrase.  I think it's terabytes and terabytes of information.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

Exactly. Smiley Btw my new laptop can hold 2 hardrives. So I can have a max of 1 Terabyte of space. So currently I have 500 mb's. (I don't know what it has right now. Since I don't have it yet.)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »

Exactly. Smiley Btw my new laptop can hold 2 hardrives. So I can have a max of 1 Terabyte of space. So currently I have 500 mb's. (I don't know what it has right now. Since I don't have it yet.)

I certainly hope you meant 500 gb's.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »

LOL yeah 500mb wouldnt be much fun

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »

Oh yes I mean 500tb's. Or was that zb's? Who knows  Smiley

scorch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 05:01:12 AM »

You can't really get one right!  Grin Kidding.
It's 500 GB probably, 500 TB's it's completely impossible to have on your laptop (unless you bought it one Mars os so.) Cheesy
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

Smiley What about Zetabytes? xD Yes of course they were 500Gb's. My dad has a 500GB harddrive (USB Hook up) that he uses to put movies on, my new laptop (That I still don't have yet but won) beats it Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: