Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 03:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Map  (Read 23003 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

Part of the next phase of my AI tester is moving the town/resources stuff to a real map.  So put together the beginnings of an app that let me move around the world, zoom in, zoom out, etc..

Here is an extremely zoomed out view.  Each square represents a 1024x1024 meter area.  I've labeled some more significant landmarks just to put things into perspective.

The jpg compression kind of fuzzies it up but there is a direct link below which helps.

Zoom for details: http://i.imgur.com/JlVIb.jpg

One obvious response is how patchy the land is.  I did this on purpose because if you have large land masses (and I can do them with the flip of a switch pretty much) then the views are much less interesting and dramatic.  At 128 meter clip you never see any large hills in the distance or anything.  I hope to fix this issue someday by extending the clip a few thousand meters... but more on that another time.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »

Note: if you could run straight from one side of this map to the other it would take 30 minutes.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »

The normal max zoom level of the area just around spawn... in the center of the big pic above.

Trying to give an understanding of scale:

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/PsW3R.png
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

This is really cool thanks for allowing us to be able to see the mythruna world XD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »

This is really cool thanks for allowing us to be able to see the mythruna world XD

Heheh... I almost went wild labeling places but then I was like "Most people won't even know what I'm talking about."  Smiley

It's hard to find things so far zoomed out, though.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

yeah haha i located a few places XD its cool being able to see that much land, i wanted the map in the game to be able to zooooom out that far hehe

1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »

yeah haha i located a few places XD its cool being able to see that much land, i wanted the map in the game to be able to zooooom out that far hehe

At that zoom level it takes almost a gig just to track the data (in a pretty inefficient way).

Also, that's only pulling data directly from the fractal equations.  It only loads the actual world data when you zoom in.  So I could technically do it for the in-game map but it at far out zooms it wouldn't reflect the actual world... and I think if I don't fully sample then it might mess with my hand-drawn map look.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »

yeah hehe its just at times i find the map we have just needing to zoom out a wee bit more but i get your reasons for not doing it Tongue

1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:09:10 AM »

Very cool. I would love to be able to zoom out further in game. It helps with planing a route to a far off place or how the heck to get back home if you didnt write down the coords before you left.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

I want my lab labeled on there Smiley I'll try to look on the map in-game and look around on the full view map size. Cheesy

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »

I want my lab labeled on there Smiley I'll try to look on the map in-game and look around on the full view map size. Cheesy

Baal Garnaal's big wall-city is in the east-facing bay one square over from the Enterprise.  I think your lab is near that, right?
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »

Yea I think it's about 100 blocks away from that, my lab is connected to the ocean.

Edit: My lab is to the north of it, top middle of the block west of the enterprise. Another but bigger east facing coast.

My not made city (But the property is there) is in the block the enterprise is. I hope to make my city reach all ends of that property Smiley.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:05:37 PM by Moonkey » Logged

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
smashervt
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »

It'd be really cool if you could instead of a randomly generated map, try getting a bunch of people and assigning us to make like a real world map. Than we piece it together somehow. Idk just a fun idea
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »

It'd be really cool if you could instead of a randomly generated map, try getting a bunch of people and assigning us to make like a real world map. Than we piece it together somehow. Idk just a fun idea

There's no reason this couldn't work now.  You might be underestimating the work involved, though. Smiley
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »

There's no reason this couldn't work now.  You might be underestimating the work involved, though. Smiley
I'll do it! I'll do it!
*Faints after an hours worth of work*
YAY! We have Florida finished! Well, okay... Only HALF of it... XD!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: