Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 09:58:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects/Questions on survival.  (Read 8535 times)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:04 AM »

First is, when in hot areas, would you like a wavy heat effect? Mainly because I thought it would be cool to see waves ripple in the distance in a desert Smiley. Or see molten metals or lava have a ripple effect. Desert sunset + ripple = beauty at its finest.

Also, would there be thirst/hunger? Or will it be plain ol' run around with potions? Because from what I've seen in Skyrim, food seems to be pointless unless you have it on you for emergencies.

So what I would like to propose Is a hunger and thirst system, but your hunger/thirst would last longer than other games. Real-life based so you don't have to rely much on food/water with villages around. Unless you're making a trip through the desert to a town in a desert.

Dynamic Hunger/thirst for different environments. In deserts you thirst faster.

This can also depend on race. Some can last longer without food or water, but have a disadvantage. Some may require more food than others, but have a greater advantage. But what do I know, I'm just tossing Ideas around.

I hope you like them. Smiley

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »

The heat ripple would be a cool effect, and would add to the beauty of the game. However, unless I get a new computer, I'd probably have to turn it off.
I'm sure someone will add it as a mod.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »

Oh yeah, and I think Paul was gonna do a hunger/thirst thing, but I don't remember details.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:45:17 AM by BenKenobiWan » Logged
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:48 AM »

Awesome ideas, but im not sure how easy it will be to add heat waves. It seems to be quite a bit of memory, but what do i know! im 12  Cheesy I love the idea by the way
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

It's funny because I was just thinking about heat waves and mirages last night (since they go together).  They are the perfect use-case for z-buffer based reflection.

Anyway, I will try it at some point way down the road and it will be a toggle in display settings for those who cannot run it.

And yeah, hunger/thirst was planned a long time ago.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »

It's funny because I was just thinking about heat waves and mirages last night (since they go together).  They are the perfect use-case for z-buffer based reflection.

Anyway, I will try it at some point way down the road and it will be a toggle in display settings for those who cannot run it.

Will it take a lot of scripting to put in heat waves and mirages? and for hunger/thirst, how long will it last, (In minecraft, you do not lose hunger the first day, depending if you run and how much you do)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

Will it take a lot of scripting to put in heat waves and mirages? and for hunger/thirst, how long will it last, (In minecraft, you do not lose hunger the first day, depending if you run and how much you do)

It won't be in scripts it will be in the low level code and GLSL shaders.

Hunger and thirst will affect your abilities.  At least that's the plan.  As you get hungry/thirsty you lose the ability to regenerate life points and fatigue points... which then makes it harder/impossible to do other things.  If I implement a death system then eventually you will die of secondary effects.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

My Ideas for the hunger system

1) Working/running depletes it 20% faster
2) after 50% hunger is gone, you start to slow down by 15%
3) Different Biomes affect your hunger
4) If down to 5% hunger you start to hear a beeping sound (very quiet)
5) when down to 0% you start to see flashing red (just around the edge, mainly transparent) until you die then it fades black in 3 seconds.

Not sure how this would work but i like this idea of minez.  Cheesy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

I have already designed this somewhere.  The interplay between the stats is more complicated than that.

Hitpoints is a portion of life force.  Magic is cast from life force... so yes, you can cast yourself to death if you need to.

Exertion affects fatigue.  Fatigue effects further exertion, regeneration of points, etc..  Being wounded affects how fast you get fatigued and how quickly you can rest.  If you are really tired and move while really wounded then you can make your wounds worse.  If you are fully rested then you can move for a little bit while severely wounded but will quickly fatigue and start doing damage again.

Hunger and thirst are affected by fatigue and climate.  "Biome" doesn't matter since there is no concept of "now you are in the desert tile"  "Now you are in the forest tile", etc.  If you are underground in a lava cave in the icy frozen wastes then you will still get thirsty and fatigued faster because the temperature is at an extreme.

I don't really have time to go into this that much more right now.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »

Won't heat effects and mirages simply run along the same basic rules as reflective water, just placed on different surfaces and perspectives. I don't think it will be too intensive unless paul wants to go all out with intense distortions. Also, mists should be in the same category. and fog....  Anyway, making the different biomes real may make it an aesthetic priority for paul to include some of these features.

Mixing in some of your light properties into these heat effects and other distortions would make epic effects. Your hopefully going to have fun tweaking properties on that one.

About food, why would the game host a farm and well if the player is immune to hunger/thirst. Seems those are necessary, just how much. Is it going to be proportional to the intake a town would normally take or is that too much for a player to take care of?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

Won't heat effects and mirages simply run along the same basic rules as reflective water, just placed on different surfaces and perspectives. I don't think it will be too intensive unless paul wants to go all out with intense distortions. Also, mists should be in the same category. and fog....  Anyway, making the different biomes real may make it an aesthetic priority for paul to include some of these features.

Mixing in some of your light properties into these heat effects and other distortions would make epic effects. Your hopefully going to have fun tweaking properties on that one.

About food, why would the game host a farm and well if the player is immune to hunger/thirst. Seems those are necessary, just how much. Is it going to be proportional to the intake a town would normally take or is that too much for a player to take care of?

That will be a balancing issue.

Mirages are nice because they only happen at extreme angles.  Reflective water happens at a wider range of angles and the z-buffer trick doesn't always look right... but I do want to explore that, too.

Mirages will also require that I implement my ideas for a far horizon.  Most of the stuff within the current clip is too close for a real mirage.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:28 AM »

The good thing could also be having a farther clip in a desert because it would run faster. Since you have GLSL built into Mythruna, visual effects could be easily added by a modder... I think...

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
bosto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »

About the thirst, also make that u can drink for the oazes and like that... and make so if u are thirsted u could see what is not happening
Cheesy Like fake oazes ;P
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: