Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 01:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Generated tunnels...  (Read 25768 times)
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »

Paul, So what is the plan when it comes to the server and big change updates? Since like the roads, bridges, tunnels, trees, buildings, etc. need to be generated.

I'll probably do like I did before with trees/caves and just delete the sections that have no block changes (or less than 2 or 3 blocks changed) so that they regenerate.  It leaves some of the world looking a little strange sometimes but I don't have too many options, either.
You could invent some way for it to 'update' the sections that do have blocks on them... Make it so it just leaves the player placed stiff alone? I don't know :S

I don't know what is player placed and what isn't in all cases.
You could make it so when a player places a block, it saves it in a file or something? :S
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

I seem to remember Paul saying elsewhere that would be a huge amount of storage space. At least double what it is now I think.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »

I seem to remember Paul saying elsewhere that would be a huge amount of storage space. At least double what it is now I think.
That is true... It would use up allot of storage to remember that sort of stuff.....
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

That is true... It would use up allot of storage to remember that sort of stuff.....

Way more than double the current world size... and while the world size has a theoretical maximum, storing every block that every player changes doesn't.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

Way more than double the current world size... and while the world size has a theoretical maximum, storing every block that every player changes doesn't.

Paul, not sure if this is on topic, but on the Leaf (Of coordinates) would it be easy for you to change the numbers counting by "1" than by counting by "32"?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »

Paul, not sure if this is on topic, but on the Leaf (Of coordinates) would it be easy for you to change the numbers counting by "1" than by counting by "32"?

A "leaf" is a 32x32x32 chunk of the world.  So that doesn't really make sense.  You have the actual coordinates just below it so I'm not sure what the point would be.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »

A "leaf" is a 32x32x32 chunk of the world.  So that doesn't really make sense.  You have the actual coordinates just below it so I'm not sure what the point would be.

Oh.. didn't know that. its just that sometimes i will get lost - and i don't know what the right way is. so i have to wait a while going in one direction to find out if im going the right way xD

anyways i learned what a "Leaf" is, thats what counts.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »

Oh.. didn't know that. its just that sometimes i will get lost - and i don't know what the right way is. so i have to wait a while going in one direction to find out if im going the right way xD

anyways i learned what a "Leaf" is, thats what counts.

You know your actual coordinates are right at the bottom underneath that.  They move instantly as soon as you start walking.  You can also look at what direction you are facing on the map.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »

Anyway, nice job. I think the tunnels need to be wider and darker and less carved within, but what you have now will work nicely. Tunnels are unimportant now but I think when mountains/valleys are generated, or if one needs to get underground minerals, tunnels would look amazing and be productive.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »

Anyway, nice job. I think the tunnels need to be wider and darker and less carved within, but what you have now will work nicely. Tunnels are unimportant now but I think when mountains/valleys are generated, or if one needs to get underground minerals, tunnels would look amazing and be productive.

There are already huge cave systems.  These are the tunnels that are part of the road.  They are specifically carved and built because it was cheaper to do so than to go around.  The bridges have a similar cost constraint, though bridges are a lot cheaper than tunnels.

These are also only for the larger roads.  Village-village paths would never make a tunnel and only extremely rarely make anything longer than a one span bridge.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »

for the cave systems, may you make it kind of a "rare encounter"? please, because i do not like finding caves because say i play minecraft. if i run into something like a cave or a mineshaft, i just delete the world. because it's like "ruins the whole game".
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »

for the cave systems, may you make it kind of a "rare encounter"? please, because i do not like finding caves because say i play minecraft. if i run into something like a cave or a mineshaft, i just delete the world. because it's like "ruins the whole game".

There are already caves.  I guess I don't understand why it ruins the game.  I'm starting to think you will not like Mythruna when it's done.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »

Minecraft. Disappointed in your taste of a Mining game.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

There are already caves.  I guess I don't understand why it ruins the game.  I'm starting to think you will not like Mythruna when it's done.

Shocked whaaaaaat!??!? you gottta be kidding me!!!??!
it is the point that i still play minecraft, although i do not like caves. there is something in mind about finding caves about me. i think it is that when i am mining i wish to discover something myself, not have generated caves so i can find minerals like "diamonds" or anything. i like small caves, mostly. they give me a good starting place mine Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »

Mythruna's caves are awesome.  I've literally wasted hours exploring them... and there aren't even any minerals yet.

Besides, Mythruna mining won't really work that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: