Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 11:06:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Generated bridges...  (Read 26470 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »

A 3D physics engine is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire programming career... and it's not even done yet.

If I can get it working right then it will be cool, though. Smiley
I hope it works out cuz otherwise i feel like Mythruna won't happen
Cry

There are fallback positions but they are much more "content" heavy.  I could already script objects to do what an RPG expects but I'd have to script lots and lots of objects.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

Well in that case i hope it works out so you can do less work for more profit. I imagine you would die a little bit inside if you did so much work for it to just not work out in the end.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »

Well in that case i hope it works out so you can do less work for more profit. I imagine you would die a little bit inside if you did so much work for it to just not work out in the end.

Like having a lifelong dream crushed under boot heels. Smiley

Still, there is lots of middle ground between self-sustaining game company and "failure".
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »

Still, there is lots of middle ground between self-sustaining game company and "failure".
I can't help but ironically smile had your first statement with a smile icon... So where in that middle ground would be your second choice?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

I can't help but ironically smile had your first statement with a smile icon... So where in that middle ground would be your second choice?

I don't know.  Organic growth is one of those fuzzy things.  You spend a lot of time in an area where you try to figure out if continuing is still worth it.  The easier that question is to answer as "keep going" the better life is... whether because finding free time to work is not hard or whether the game is earning enough money+respect+whatever to keep it alive.  It's a balance.  The corollary is that if life makes it too hard to work on the game and there are no tangible benefits to continuing then this starts to weight against the "life long dream" thing and you make hard decisions.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

I don't know.  Organic growth is one of those fuzzy things.  You spend a lot of time in an area where you try to figure out if continuing is still worth it.  The easier that question is to answer as "keep going" the better life is... whether because finding free time to work is not hard or whether the game is earning enough money+respect+whatever to keep it alive.  It's a balance.  The corollary is that if life makes it too hard to work on the game and there are no tangible benefits to continuing then this starts to weight against the "life long dream" thing and you make hard decisions.
I may be biased, but i think you should "keep going"  Smiley and for being pre-alpha with little-to-no advertisement, this game already has some buzz. Once the game has actual shape to it, people will most likely start trying it, saying how awesome it is and telling their friends. The ideas have the potential and a veteran like yourself would be one of the few who could pull it off. A good game could almost sell itself. (almost)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

I may be biased, but i think you should "keep going"  Smiley and for being pre-alpha with little-to-no advertisement, this game already has some buzz. Once the game has actual shape to it, people will most likely start trying it, saying how awesome it is and telling their friends. The ideas have the potential and a veteran like yourself would be one of the few who could pull it off. A good game could almost sell itself. (almost)

Yeah, it's done well at selling itself so far.  I'd like to see how fast that grows when I actually start advertising.  It's all been word of mouth so far... but I will start pushing it for real at or near alpha.  I've story-boarded most of a game trailer... I just need to implement the things for the trailer so I can record it. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »

Quote from: pspeed
Yeah, it's done well at selling itself so far.  I'd like to see how fast that grows when I actually start advertising.  It's all been word of mouth so far... but I will start pushing it for real at or near alpha.  I've story-boarded most of a game trailer... I just need to implement the things for the trailer so I can record it. Smiley

List for sites you may advertise that may be productive:
Youtube http://youtube.com/
Addicting Games http://addictinggames.com/

Lol fail, that's all I could think of off my back. Smiley well it is a good start!
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

I'm interested in seeing what you have up your sleeve for a trailer. actually, I'm interested in whats being added to the game that will be in the trailer  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

Quote from: pspeed

List for sites you may advertise that may be productive:
Youtube http://youtube.com/
Addicting Games http://addictinggames.com/

Lol fail, that's all I could think of off my back. Smiley well it is a good start!

I have resources I can tap in this area.  Don't worry too much about that. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »

I'm interested in seeing what you have up your sleeve for a trailer. actually, I'm interested in whats being added to the game that will be in the trailer  Smiley

I think most of the features are covered in the "what's alpha?" thread: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.0

But I need populated towns, character animation, some level of fighting, trees/buildings to be able to burn down + fall over, and the ability to have mountains explode in a shower of chunks.  Sort of at a minimum. Smiley

Oh, and horses.  The beginning of the trailer has a guy racing across various landscapes on horseback.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »

I think most of the features are covered in the "what's alpha?" thread: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.0

But I need populated towns, character animation, some level of fighting, trees/buildings to be able to burn down + fall over, and the ability to have mountains explode in a shower of chunks.  Sort of at a minimum. Smiley

Oh, and horses.  The beginning of the trailer has a guy racing across various landscapes on horseback.
And thats why i like you paul. To most developers that would be a "maximum"  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »

And thats why i like you paul. To most developers that would be a "maximum"  Smiley

Heheh... if I do my job right, maybe the "blocks like Minecraft" thing won't even be noticed until the second viewing of the trailer.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »

Im trying to push this on all my friends, a few being programmers enjoy reading the forums already, even if they are still guests, and a few of my lazy friends are excited over the ai you have planned. Ill keep digging for more people
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »

Heheh... if I do my job right, maybe the "blocks like Minecraft" thing won't even be noticed until the second viewing of the trailer.
Well even if they did notice it eventually, the judgement would be skewed in a good way since there are things like cylinders and 12 different "half" blocks, among other variations that make minecraft just plain inferior, even if this was just a building game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: