Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:18:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Generated bridges...  (Read 26233 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »

Finally got these working mostly like I want... at least enough to move on.

Here is a pic with four different shots in it:
http://i.imgur.com/uFsMO.jpg

Tonight I spent some time making sure they ends look like that are "rooted" into the ground properly.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »

Found this exploring.

I was originally going to keep wood overland bridges short but this looks too cool not to pursue. One or two pillars is all it needs.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »

Are you going to take into account that poorer/smaller villages might just have dirt paths with no bridges?

That aside, the bridges are looking good. I agree, though, that the really long one needs some supports to look realistic (and hopefully, with physics, to keep from breaking).
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »

Are you going to take into account that poorer/smaller villages might just have dirt paths with no bridges?

That aside, the bridges are looking good. I agree, though, that the really long one needs some supports to look realistic (and hopefully, with physics, to keep from breaking).

These roads are the most expensive ones... the ones that run between cities and other cities or between cities and major towns.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »

Maybe add arches underneath to add to the feeling Cheesy?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

Maybe add arches underneath to add to the feeling Cheesy?

This one will likely get straight pillars.  I'll do something that feels right for the bridge style... but it will have to wait a few more phases... right now the individual bridge parts have no knowledge of each other and supports will be better if the whole span is treated as one object for proper spacing.

The stone and mortar bridges for crossing shallow water will have "arches" underneath similar to the stone and mortar bridge I already posted a couple months ago.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »

You might also need It to detect under itself so It doesn't have a bridge 50 blocks in the air connecting on mountain from another. But, yet again, this is Mythruna.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »

I personally won't trust a long wooden bridge over such open land. The smaller bridges look really cool, and I love how they blend with the natural trail. I would say that seeing the smaller bridges in the final version of Mythruna won't be bad at all, but keep on tweaking until you think they are more perfect Wink
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

A nice addition would be physics ropes+Bridges. Tension = snap + break. And shaking too. This would be awesome. Imagine tons of people crossing a big bridge. Smiley But supported bridges would also cancel that out. Until someone started a fire at the bottom of it.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to have rope bridges.  I'll have to see if it will bring the physics engine to its knees or not.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to have rope bridges.  I'll have to see if it will bring the physics engine to its knees or not.

Is your physics engine at the point of "Building muscles"? Or still in its infancy?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »

Is your physics engine at the point of "Building muscles"? Or still in its infancy?

It's missing proper links.  It's variations of these that are necessary for springs, ropes, hinges, etc..  I started implementing stiff springs before I stopped.

It's also missing proper networking... which is where the real work is left.  I'd have put some of it in the game already if not for the lack of efficient networking support.  It's not a lot of work but it's the kind that I need to concentrate solidly on without interruption.  If I don't find an excuse to do it sooner or a way to break out some of the chunks then I may try to do this over Thanksgiving break.

There are still some stability issues when objects are stacked on top of each other... and this actually affects the links, too.  Working on something else, I think I have a solution to help with that problem but I haven't been able to swing back and try it.

I have some ideas for accelerating physics engine development but I'm still working them over in my head.  I may post about it sometime.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:24:38 AM »

It's missing proper links.  It's variations of these that are necessary for springs, ropes, hinges, etc..  I started implementing stiff springs before I stopped.

It's also missing proper networking... which is where the real work is left.  I'd have put some of it in the game already if not for the lack of efficient networking support.  It's not a lot of work but it's the kind that I need to concentrate solidly on without interruption.  If I don't find an excuse to do it sooner or a way to break out some of the chunks then I may try to do this over Thanksgiving break.

There are still some stability issues when objects are stacked on top of each other... and this actually affects the links, too.  Working on something else, I think I have a solution to help with that problem but I haven't been able to swing back and try it.

I have some ideas for accelerating physics engine development but I'm still working them over in my head.  I may post about it sometime.
Man, this physics engine your making sounds like quite the undertaking. Your hard work will pay off greatly i'm sure Smiley

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:55 AM »

Man, this physics engine your making sounds like quite the undertaking. Your hard work will pay off greatly i'm sure Smiley

A 3D physics engine is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire programming career... and it's not even done yet.

If I can get it working right then it will be cool, though. Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »

A 3D physics engine is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire programming career... and it's not even done yet.

If I can get it working right then it will be cool, though. Smiley
I hope it works out cuz otherwise i feel like Mythruna won't happen
Cry

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: