Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 07:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Random town names...  (Read 61271 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »

Sorry i didnt think dam was to offensive, tbh i think my avatars alot more disturbing than that post ;p

Well, dams block rivers... so of course that isn't offensive. Wink

On the other hand, part of being a good internet citizen is also trying not to be too easily offended.  General internet guidelines: If the most offensive try to be less so and the most easily offended try to ignore more then perhaps we can all meet happily in the middle.  After all, nearly everything is offensive to someone.

Im confused, who was offended?
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »

Dam paul that is a epic idea ahah im imagining playing on 50 difernt skyrim maps that never end are look blocky ;p

1) are cuss words allowed?
2) Is the first word supposed to be a cuss word?
3) you mis-spelled the "D" word Tongue
i thought you took offence haha

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »

Nah, I hear plenty of words  Cool and you have to try hard to offend me!
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »

Then why did you bring it up.... lool ;p

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »

Then why did you bring it up.... lool ;p

You said "Dam" so i was just wondering-- lets get back on topic shall we?
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 02:35:29 AM »

Hey Paul,

please keep in mind that the towns of the different races should have some differences.
E.g. the reptilians could always have townnames with at least one "-" like 'Brak-Al' or  'Dsah-Gnod-Ty'.

So you would always know what race has founded that town. And it would make them one of a kind.
I personally think it would be strange to have the same name for towns of different races.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »

Hey Paul,

please keep in mind that the towns of the different races should have some differences.
E.g. the reptilians could always have townnames with at least one "-" like 'Brak-Al' or  'Dsah-Gnod-Ty'.

So you would always know what race has founded that town. And it would make them one of a kind.
I personally think it would be strange to have the same name for towns of different races.

Yes, I do plan to have different names for different races... but right now I'm concentrating on just human.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »

Okay, I don't want to make your job harder by being picky, but should you focus on the stems to make sure they have context in Mythruna.

For example, I found "elf" and "fox". We understand but I doubt you will have foxes and I don't remember if elves are on your races list.

Also, "fog" and "mist". I don't think you are planning to implement both of these, since they are each almost the same thing. I don't think you will refer to mist so specifically as the waterfall mist.

There are probably way more examples. I just found a few in a second glance. Also, trick town "southsummer" or "summersouth", can't remember. How exactly is a town southern if you can walk infinitely south?

Just a bit of aesthetic annoyance from here. I know you probably don't care right now because you are just trying to get it to work but I couldn't stop myself.

edit>> forgot the most obvious example. Moormarsh. You have to make marshes and moor is a specific group of people in northern africa/iberia. I know you said you will try to work on context later, I'm just saying you should redo the ambiguous names in mythruna's world.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:46:28 PM by ahmadsal » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »

Okay, I don't want to make your job harder by being picky, but should you focus on the stems to make sure they have context in Mythruna.

For example, I found "elf" and "fox". We understand but I doubt you will have foxes and I don't remember if elves are on your races list.

Also, "fog" and "mist". I don't think you are planning to implement both of these, since they are each almost the same thing. I don't think you will refer to mist so specifically as the waterfall mist.

There are probably way more examples. I just found a few in a second glance. Also, trick town "southsummer" or "summersouth", can't remember. How exactly is a town southern if you can walk infinitely south?

Just a bit of aesthetic annoyance from here. I know you probably don't care right now because you are just trying to get it to work but I couldn't stop myself.

edit>> forgot the most obvious example. Moormarsh. You have to make marshes and moor is a specific group of people in northern africa/iberia. I know you said you will try to work on context later, I'm just saying you should redo the ambiguous names in mythruna's world.

This last bit is a bit wrong.  The Moors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors) are a people... the moors (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moor) are a kind of boggy swamp land... featured prominently in The Hound of the Baskervilles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound_of_the_Baskervilles)

The names are fine for now.  Eventually I'd like to tie stems to features of the land so that you don't end up with "XXXCoast" in the middle of a large land mass or desert.  Though in any case, all oddities can usually be explained with a little imagination.  Perhaps "XXXCoast" is a joke or maybe there was water there once.  Naming something the opposite of what it is has a long history.  Also, perhaps "Southsummer" is because there used to be a "Northsummer" and a "Southsummer" a hundred years ago but one is gone now.  After all, north of the area I live in has all kinds of Scottish town names and we are nowhere near that part of the world.  Names are funny.  I'd rather have a few "WTF?" moments than have all of the names sounding the same.

I plan to have all kinds of animals but I will augment the list with appropriate ones eventually.  Where possible, I'm trying to come up with unique animals and I'm not sure if I will have a fox... though my creature notes do have a fox-like creature that I haven't named yet.  There were also going to be "wols" which are like lesser wolves that might take the place of a fox.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »

True. Cool info on the Moors. I guess you can see why I thought they were an actual people but slang has ways of messing up meaning. I'm with you on the not naming towns the same type of thing. Especially in games it makes it seem unoriginal and lame in that aspect. Nice to see that you are working out every detail.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »

This last bit is a bit wrong.  The Moors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors) are a people... the moors (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moor) are a kind of boggy swamp land... featured prominently in The Hound of the Baskervilles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound_of_the_Baskervilles)

The names are fine for now.  Eventually I'd like to tie stems to features of the land so that you don't end up with "XXXCoast" in the middle of a large land mass or desert.  Though in any case, all oddities can usually be explained with a little imagination.  Perhaps "XXXCoast" is a joke or maybe there was water there once.  Naming something the opposite of what it is has a long history.  Also, perhaps "Southsummer" is because there used to be a "Northsummer" and a "Southsummer" a hundred years ago but one is gone now.  After all, north of the area I live in has all kinds of Scottish town names and we are nowhere near that part of the world.  Names are funny.  I'd rather have a few "WTF?" moments than have all of the names sounding the same.

I plan to have all kinds of animals but I will augment the list with appropriate ones eventually.  Where possible, I'm trying to come up with unique animals and I'm not sure if I will have a fox... though my creature notes do have a fox-like creature that I haven't named yet.  There were also going to be "wols" which are like lesser wolves that might take the place of a fox.
Town names will be pretty cool either way. As for Animals/Creatures, theres a whole different ball game. I actually have been thinking about starting another "brainstorm" session just on all types of appropriate animal and monsters to put into the game... Assuming of course that a game with magic will have mythical monsters to fight (more than just dragons). I wasn't sure if you were going to separate them in some way, so that it is fairly obvious where the "animal" category is and the "monster" category is (like uses for their drops or something.)

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

Like in real life, in the game the line between animal and monster will not be so clear.  Is a wolf a monster or an animal?

From an AI perspective, there will be predators and prey... but even that isn't so clear because there are plenty of "predators" that would steer clear of humans.

Anyway, where ever possible I will try to create unique but familiar animals.  So I may not have wolves exactly but something similar enough to them that you'd know how they might act.  For example, if you see a large cow-sized creature covered in wool you can be pretty sure it's not going to come eat you... no matter how big its horns are.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Like in real life, in the game the line between animal and monster will not be so clear.  Is a wolf a monster or an animal?

From an AI perspective, there will be predators and prey... but even that isn't so clear because there are plenty of "predators" that would steer clear of humans.

Anyway, where ever possible I will try to create unique but familiar animals.  So I may not have wolves exactly but something similar enough to them that you'd know how they might act.  For example, if you see a large cow-sized creature covered in wool you can be pretty sure it's not going to come eat you... no matter how big its horns are.

Wolf is both, how about neutral? or if a wolf is added, allow if bothered, or you get too close it will go after you.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »

Not all "monster" need to be seen as aggressive, for instance lets say ent (tree people)

To elves ents may be passive, allowing a long lasting friendship be born. But to, lets say humans, they may not get along due to the expansive nature of humans.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »

Not all "monster" need to be seen as aggressive, for instance lets say ent (tree people)

To elves ents may be passive, allowing a long lasting friendship be born. But to, lets say humans, they may not get along due to the expansive nature of humans.

I think nearly everything can/will be aggressive under the right circumstances.  If an elf starts burning down other ents then I think they should probably become hostile at that point.

I'm hoping to avoid obvious "factions" as it's a crutch for getting around more detailed relationships between things.  I'm hoping to model something closer to those relationships.  So if the town folk come rushing to your aid in some fight it will be some combination of how much they like you and how capable they feel... and not because they are in a "friendly" faction.

I hope I'm making sense.  I'm trying to break the mold in a few places and this is one of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: