Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 08:16:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk... portals?  (Read 34772 times)
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »

I thought I'd ask since I'd LOVE another dimension in this game (if possible). I don't mean like minecraft's netherhell or whatever, i mean just a literal other dimension, with certain things different. The best way to describe what i mean would be to take a RPG view on the 2 dimensions in Master of Magic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic)

Basically a darker version of the main world. It would add a visual contrast and would add ever more depth to Mythruna!
My original idea to put forth was that, if the physics engine works, then you could do a certain steam powered machine that, if done right and hooked up to the right materials, could make a portal. Talk about magical steampunk.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »

I still haven't decided how I will handle the spirit world.  So who knows.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »

Here are some ideas for the spirit world:

1.) Mobs in spirit world are neutral, when good, they are white. when struck, they become hostile, they turn black in chase you.
2.) Ground of course is rough, and kind of white, depending on the type of spirits around.
3.) There are 2 spirit worlds: Heaven, Hell.

This is what I JUST thought of. These are random ideas Wink
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »

Here are some ideas for the spirit world:

1.) Mobs in spirit world are neutral, when good, they are white. when struck, they become hostile, they turn black in chase you.
2.) Ground of course is rough, and kind of white, depending on the type of spirits around.
3.) There are 2 spirit worlds: Heaven, Hell.

This is what I JUST thought of. These are random ideas Wink

here are some more i JUST thought of seconds after this post:

4.) Heaven is bright, hell is red, and dark, filled with lava. chunks near the end of a cliff may fall off, not a lot of blocks of once.
5.) Hell is always filled with the evil spirits. I may figure some details for the spirits.
6.) there should be a boss for Hell, if you go to the hidden dungeon, you get to fight Satan.
7.) Heaven should have a secret room. When you find it, God gives you enchantment items, such as "Forbidden Apple of Knowledge" that allows you to mine, and break blocks instantly, kill mobs instantly, for a max of 5 minutes. so use the apple wisely
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »

My idea for the "spirit world" is all dependent if you have some sort of morality compass built in.

if its leaning more towards the "evil" aspect then when you die a dark, dirty aura would surround you. The darker beings that make up a portion of this world will be less likely to attack, seeing you as one of their own.  Lighter beings may not be so forgiving. While "dead" you may attack the light beings for more "evil" status, attacking dark beings deminish it.

If your compass is "good" then your aura would be a bright and shiney thing. Everything else above..just reverse it.

Coming back from the dead will actually give you a minor buff depending on your status with the denizens of the underworld. If good...maybe a defense buff but your strength will go down a little, opposite for evil.

there is also a neutral option where everyone just kind of leaves you alone, but you hold no status among either side, when you come back to life you dont receive any buff either.

Depending on status among the dead, it will also depend on how long you stay. The more you swing one way or the other, the faster you are able to leave...if you want to. Neutrals have a set amount based upon lvl.

Ok I know its VERY rough but im typing through my phone and it took me like 5 min to come up with it. If enough like the idea I might expand/clean it up. Or if paul would like to hear more ill do it then

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

heaven n hell are overused i think. if a 'spirit' world is the direction you want to go, then... i honestly have no suggestion. a spirit world is actually very vague and manipulable. especially in a game like this

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »

heaven n hell are overused i think. if a 'spirit' world is the direction you want to go, then... i honestly have no suggestion. a spirit world is actually very vague and manipulable. especially in a game like this

Yep.  I have all kinds of options.

A few things I can say for sure:
-it is neutral.  There is no spirit world concept of a "good spirit world" and a "bad spirit world".  Like the mundane plane... it just "is".
-the energy transfer of spirit crystals is broadcast through the spirit plane

Things that may be true:
-the regular world can somehow be seen from the spirit plane and visited in non-corporeal form
-the simplest non-line-of-sight teleporters are spirit-crystal based and may be possibly used to allow entrance into the spirit world as a non-corporeal spirit entity... sort of the reverse of the spirit plane visits into the mundane world.

I have tons of RPG spirit planes that I will draw ideas from.  I prefer to keep some of it a surprise.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »

Yep.  I have all kinds of options.

-it is neutral.  There is no spirit world concept of a "good spirit world" and a "bad spirit world".  Like the mundane plane... it just "is".

Things that may be true:
-the regular world can somehow be seen from the spirit plane and visited in non-corporeal form
-the simplest non-line-of-sight teleporters are spirit-crystal based and may be possibly used to allow entrance into the spirit world as a non-corporeal spirit entity... sort of the reverse of the spirit plane visits into the mundane world.

I have tons of RPG spirit planes that I will draw ideas from.  I prefer to keep some of it a surprise.

My idea of a spirit world: The overworld, but you are disconnected from your body. You can't interact with the physical world but rather you see spirits of others who also disconnected, and beasts that aren't normally seen. If you die in the spirit world you become Soulless. And your actions become highly careless.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:13:39 AM »

Yep.  I have all kinds of options.

-it is neutral.  There is no spirit world concept of a "good spirit world" and a "bad spirit world".  Like the mundane plane... it just "is".

Things that may be true:

I have tons of RPG spirit planes that I will draw ideas from.  I prefer to keep some of it a surprise.
So you are keeping the idea of using gems and crystals alot throughout the game?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »

Yep.  I have all kinds of options.

-it is neutral.  There is no spirit world concept of a "good spirit world" and a "bad spirit world".  Like the mundane plane... it just "is".

Things that may be true:

I have tons of RPG spirit planes that I will draw ideas from.  I prefer to keep some of it a surprise.
So you are keeping the idea of using gems and crystals alot throughout the game?

It's part of the custom magic system... so pretty core, yeah.  I think there is some stuff about it here:
http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=548.msg2185#msg2185
Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »

Hehe don't look back Orpheus. Would be cool if the spirit world was like a "punishment" for dying... Like, almost a way to respawn. So if you had already built a portal to the spirit world, reincarnating would be easy, but without one...

I just like the idea of harsh death penalties haha... How will death be treated in Mythruna?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »

Hehe don't look back Orpheus. Would be cool if the spirit world was like a "punishment" for dying... Like, almost a way to respawn. So if you had already built a portal to the spirit world, reincarnating would be easy, but without one...

I just like the idea of harsh death penalties haha... How will death be treated in Mythruna?

Yeah, in fact that has been discussed as one option.

I still haven't decided how death will be handled or how many levels of death there will be.  Here are some things I know for sure:
-I want to get the player away from where they died.  The respawn + attack + die + respawn + attack + die until foe is vanquished thing just isn't cool.
-I want the player to keep their items.  I don't want them to have to rush back to the location before their stuff gets stolen/destroyed.
-I want to make it sting.  Dying should really suck but not to the point of rage-quitting.

I'd also like it to be interesting.  Current thinking is along the lines of death having multiple "levels", such as:
-body death:  You are essentially dead but your spirit is still tied to your body.  This is kind of like bleeding out.  Your heart and brain might still be alive but you aren't letting go yet.  Other players may still be able to revive you with enough healing.  At this point you have a choice to move to one of the other levels.  Basically, you have a "Roam" tool in your left hand and an "Ascend" tool in the right hand.
-spirit roam: you unhook your spirit from your body and can wander near your corpse and communicate to some extent.  You may have some basic attack capabilities when right near your body... because other players will be able to move or loot your corpse in this state.
-ascend: body and spirit move to the spirit plane.  You are dead-dead at this point.  This is different than visiting the spirit plane... you are corporeal in the spirit plane.  If you find a teleporter endpoint then you might be able to move to the mundane plane again but only as a non-corporeal being.  You essentially move back into a "spirit roam" state hooked to the teleporter.

While in the spirit plane as a spirit...
Presuming the spirit plane is at all interesting then there could be some adventures, etc., there.

Other players can still resurrect you but you cannot communicate with them unless you find a way back.  Your stuff is protected, though, because your body ascended with you.

The only other way out of the spirit plane would be to make a deal with one of the spirit lords.  The simplest deal is to buy your way back if you have enough loot or gold.  Perhaps they evaluate your total worth and charge you a percentage of that based on how many times you have died (up to a max percentage that doesn't strip you completely).  There would be places to trade your items for gold.  Exchange rates will be good but it's probably worth shopping around for some things.

If the above is true then merchants in the spirit realm are kind of like merchants on the mundane plane in that they will give you better deals if they like you.  So doing favors for them could be some of the spirit plane quests.

I think this sort of thing satisfies all of my goals.  Death can get expensive if you want a quick way back but there are still plenty of less-quick ways if time is less important than gold and possessions.  It also opens up the chance that enough questing gets you back for free.

...and I potentially get to make some really wild areas not based on the classic terrain.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »

Reading it again... I like it.  It's the first time I've put everything together in one place as my notes on this were scattered in multiple documents.

It is very likely this will be the framework for death in Mythruna.
Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »

Haha wow, that sounds really cool. I especially like how that death system doesn't break immersion, so no: I'm just about to fight a dragon. Save!

so...is the spirit realm kind of like the celestial bureaucracy from chinese myth? Different spirits have different positions? So maybe if you grease the palm of the right spirit, they'll let you return from the dead, perhaps in exchange for a service, or an item?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »

so...is the spirit realm kind of like the celestial bureaucracy from chinese myth? Different spirits have different positions? So maybe if you grease the palm of the right spirit, they'll let you return from the dead, perhaps in exchange for a service, or an item?

I don't know yet.  I have ideas but I'm going to wait until much later.  When the engine is closer to done then I'll know what really strange things I can get away with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: