Mythruna
May 14, 2024, 04:41:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Microsoft App Store  (Read 4957 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »

The android and apple app stores are known for their enormity and robustness... I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that the Microsoft app store is minuscule in comparison. The biggest issue is that it seems most of the Microsoft store's goods are either broken, overpriced, or just plain bad.

I realized this after purchasing a Surface 2 for college. In concept even the device is pretty good... but you have to pay a whopping $300 for a tablet-PC hybrid that is more locked down than a damn IPad. Worst of all, jailbreaking the damn things is nearly impossible right now...

I'm concerned about this more because Microsoft is evidently interested in applying this to all future devices like desktops and laptops. That's right. Windows 9 may well just phase out 'legacy' applications, leaving Windows 7 to be the last traditional Windows version, and the last version  to be able to run garden variety exes... Dammit Linux, you're looking really good right now.

Then again, I may be wrong and they may not be trying to innovate in every wrong way possible. Just thought I'd spur some conversation on the issue.

Also don't get windows tablets. They get hot enough to cook eggs on and have shit battery life when you're not even doing anything.

Just use the $500-$1,000 you could have spent on it on a laptop...

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »

MS gets their lock in because you (general users, not you specifically) already have tons of Windows apps.  If they cut that off then there are sealing their own fate, really.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:57 AM »

Yeah... It'll be one sad affair if that's what they plan to do.

Gambit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »

Nexus 7 is great for notes especially  with swift key.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »

I cant handle touchscreen typing. Waaay too slow. xL

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »

I just got a touchcover for my surface... It's gonna take some getting used to, not having full fledged keys and whatnot, but I can't wait to break it in. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: