Mythruna
May 15, 2024, 11:23:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SmartGoggle  (Read 8123 times)
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »

Just wondering who else has heard of this.

http://smartgoggles.net

I would love to be fully immersed in games like Mythruna and Skyrim with this thing. I hear it will be under $1000 and will release this year. I plan on geting one for sure as I have been wishing for these types of displays for many years. Just to watch a 3D movie would be cool with this thing.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »

Dude, no way.... THEY STOLE MY IDEA, FROM MY BRAAAAAAIN!
I have ALWAYS wanted one of those to exist!

I had the idea, that someone would invent a ball for people to fit in, on the inside the walls/floor/ceiling would be made out of screens, and when you tried to walk, the ball would turn, moving your character, and you could hold a weapon and hit/shoot with it ETC, and roll around ETC Cheesy

Mythruna would be a cool game to have support for that! That means Paul has to work on Animations 200% though Shocked
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

I had the idea, that someone would invent a ball for people to fit in, on the inside the walls/floor/ceiling would be made out of screens, and when you tried to walk, the ball would turn, moving your character, and you could hold a weapon and hit/shoot with it ETC, and roll around ETC Cheesy

Mythruna would be a cool game to have support for that! That means Paul has to work on Animations 200% though Shocked
They have those, most often as combat simulators for military training, I think.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »

its prity cool that where finaly going to get something that does what we have wanted for so long. i think we all imagined playing games with a  headset like that Tongue

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

its prity cool that where finaly going to get something that does what we have wanted for so long. i think we all imagined playing games with a  headset like that Tongue

I had one of these in the 90s: http://museum.bounce-gaming.net/vfx1.html

It was lots of fun.  Technically, I still have it but I don't think the board will go in any of my modern computers anymore.
BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

It was lots of fun.  Technically, I still have it but I don't think the board will go in any of my modern computers anymore.

OK WTF, this looks like the same thing but like the 2003 model. What happened to 3D that it didnt take off like it should have? The price wasnt that bad. I've got high hopes for this smartgoggles headset. I find it curious that its supposed to be available this year but no release date and no retailers are listed.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

It was lots of fun.  Technically, I still have it but I don't think the board will go in any of my modern computers anymore.

OK WTF, this looks like the same thing but like the 2003 model. What happened to 3D that it didnt take off like it should have? The price wasnt that bad. I've got high hopes for this smartgoggles headset. I find it curious that its supposed to be available this year but no release date and no retailers are listed.

The helmet weighed like 2 lbs, the optics were kind of weird, and the screens only had a resolution of 320x240 or something.

A modern headset will be able to benefit from being lighter, potentially wireless, and as I pointed out in PMs the resolution on this new helmet is really nice.

I think ultimately VR helmets may suffer from is what I call "the guitarist effect".  I've been in a few bands in my time.  I started playing the drums when I was first learning and have played keyboards/piano in bands.  I eventually learned the guitar as well.  No matter how much I liked the drums and piano they had one big down side.  You were unlikely to just be able to whip one out and jam in random situations.  I was always envious of the guys who always had their acoustic guitar handy.  (Bear with me a sec, I do really have a point. Smiley)

In gaming, the VR helmet is kind of like the piano.  When you are out playing games, you will always think of it longingly just sitting at home waiting for you.  You will have to entice your friends to come near it in order to have more than solo fun... etc..

So beyond the hard core games, it has a limited place, I think.  And don't get me wrong, I'm totally the market for a toy like this.  I have full sized (real car) racing seats and force feedback steering wheels in my basement just for playing Gran Turismo. Smiley

I think what it's really missing is the killer application.  Maybe Mythruna can be that killer application... I mean, while I'm dreaming.  Heheh.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:01:39 PM by pspeed » Logged
BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

No worries I havent played video games in a lan setting since halo. I hear they made a 3D Doom 3. Will give that a go with the VR helm for sure.

BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »

So these damn things are supposed to be out. In this case no news is not good news! I cant find any info on the smartgoggles. my 2nd choice the oculus rift is shipping dev kits next spring so looks like im going to have to wait what seems like forever. uragh!!!

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Doom 3 is so terrificly fun. Don't try it out with that helmet. You will scare yourself to death. (I played it; got too scared. More scared than Dead space; and just stopped playing)

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »

Doom 3 is so terrifically fun. Don't try it out with that helmet. You will scare yourself to death. (I played it; got too scared. More scared than Dead space; and just stopped playing)
I played it when it came out many years ago. It was freaky but it was supposed to be. Dead Space 1 and 2 where a disappointment in my opinion. So many games will become awesome if you can play them with a VR headset. If I had the resources I would make or help the manufacture of VR headsets.

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »

I think ultimately VR helmets may suffer from is what I call "the guitarist effect".  I've been in a few bands in my time.  I started playing the drums when I was first learning and have played keyboards/piano in bands.  I eventually learned the guitar as well.  No matter how much I liked the drums and piano they had one big down side.  You were unlikely to just be able to whip one out and jam in random situations.  I was always envious of the guys who always had their acoustic guitar handy.  (Bear with me a sec, I do really have a point. Smiley)
I hear harmonicas fit nicely in a pocket.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: