Mythruna
May 14, 2024, 03:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What language is Mythruna written in?  (Read 3866 times)
Kyorl

The Rake, Lord of Moon's Spawn, Mane of Chaos

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »

So, yeah. If it's not confidential, what language is Mythruna written in? And what engine and stuff like that? I'm an aspiring game developer and i'm just curious.

Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »

Pretty sure this has been covered a few times before... but it doesn't hurt to refresh.  I'm not sure if it's in an index somewhere.

The game is primarily written in Java using jMonkeyEngine for it's OpenGL/event handling/etc.  Otherwise, the engine is pretty custom.

Most of the "game logic" is written in the Groovy scripting language... and that will be even more true in the new engine.
Kyorl

The Rake, Lord of Moon's Spawn, Mane of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »

The game is primarily written in Java using jMonkeyEngine for it's OpenGL/event handling/etc.  Otherwise, the engine is pretty custom.

Most of the "game logic" is written in the Groovy scripting language... and that will be even more true in the new engine.

How would you compare jMonkeyEngine to something like Unity? And why are different languages used in the same game? How does that even work?

Pretty sure this has been covered a few times before... but it doesn't hurt to refresh.  I'm not sure if it's in an index somewhere.

woops, sorry. I didn't even think to check the search function >.<

Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »

jMonkeyEngine is a little lower level than Unity... though it does try to add some similar features through the jME SDK... I don't really use the SDK except to build releases.

Groovy is a Java-compatible scripting language that can be extended to provide "domain specific language" type of functionality.  This makes it easier and less verbose to implement game logic because common stuff is built into the language.

Most games these days use at least a main language and a scripting language.  Often in the C++ world, the scripting language used is Lua.  Though I guess Unity has its own scripting language or something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: