Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 09:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow going and relearning art...  (Read 25551 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »

So, things have been a bit visibly slow lately.  I've had a few irons in the fire but mostly I got slammed with a few things. 

On the Mythruna front, I've completely rewritten the input management system that Mythruna uses.  I was able to clean up a lot of things this way and more easily support joysticks and gamepads.  Furthermore, I'm only a proper remapping UI away from being able to let people remap the controls how they want.  Remapping from mods will be easier, too.

I'm also redoing my user interface library.  Right now I use a third party toolkit for the menus and stuff and I'm tired of it's little idiosyncrasies and I only use it for some menus, anyway.  I want something that works for all of my user interface stuff so I'm slowly pulling some of the custom UI stuff I've already done for game mode, property book, etc.. into something more general so that I can redo the main menus, create a proper world seed selector, proper character creation screen, etc..  This system will allow fully 3D user interfaces also so I'm hoping I can use parts of it for some of the crafting activities.  Anyway, that's just in the beginning stages but hopefully the next release can have a new main menu at least.

On the home front, this past week a nasty cold/bronchitis has kind of knocked me on my butt.  Also, the kids have been back in school now and back in after-school activities.  I'm the only driver in the house so this takes a significant amount of time.  On the plus side, I get a lot of time with books and my sketch book.  I recently purchased about 12 new art books ranging from straight up inspirational stuff like Frazetta compendiums to more "how to" books on creating fantasy art, etc..  Much of this is rehashing old ground but it's ground I need to rehash and I pick up the strangest "new" stuff also.  (Some sillier than others, for example, I learned a better way to clean art brushes that makes me feel stupid for never having thought of it before.)  Anyway, all of that has been inspiring and productive in its own way.

One thing that resonates deeply through my own experience and is reiterated in nearly every how-to book is the need to practice.  The common recommendation is to carry your sketchbook with you everywhere and just draw all the time.  One issue is that I spend almost 18 hours a day in my office and there is only so much inspiration/sketchable material here.  The days I'm out with the kids, I'm sitting in the lobby of the gymnastics place, etc. and the other parents will only let you draw them for so long before they get suspicious and creeped out. Smiley

So... I got the wild idea to resurrect one of my older DLP projectors.  A ceiling mount and a hung up screen later and now I can have any inspirational material on my wall that I choose.  I can easily sketch figures, creatures, landscapes, whatever my imagination desires at a given moment.  And it's pretty cool to have up anyway... if the bulbs weren't so expensive then I'd keep it up all the time, I think.

Here are some sample pics.  (The monitor in the lower right of these screens is the one showing the Mythruna server console and logs.  It sits at my left side when I'm working.)

http://i.imgur.com/gxkia.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/diQ9k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/V6g2P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0bfjY.jpg

If this doesn't get my artistic side more productive then nothing will.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

Why does it look like you're spying on people from cameras? Also, tiny screen scrolling with logs annoyingly seems fun.

Edit: I just noticed the doors you have are the doors we have now. Smiley

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »

Cool set up paul, im keen for the next release because it has been a while Tongue i loved that picture of the river with trees on either side, i can only guess that its a driveway to some rich pallace and it flooded in a big storm?

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »

Cool set up paul, im keen for the next release because it has been a while Tongue i loved that picture of the river with trees on either side, i can only guess that its a driveway to some rich pallace and it flooded in a big storm?

I don't know.  I pick this pictures up off of google+ and elsewhere.  If someone posts a picture that looks cool or inspiring then I snag it.  All but the lizard were from my "general" folder.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »

Thanks for the update on Mythruna Paul.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

I don't know.  I pick this pictures up off of google+ and elsewhere.  If someone posts a picture that looks cool or inspiring then I snag it.  All but the lizard were from my "general" folder.

*cough* My time to shine Smiley
**Looks up images for Paul's inspiration (in about 10 mins)**
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

It's been 10 hours. You must be more complicated than I thought.  Roll Eyes

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »

It's been 10 hours. You must be more complicated than I thought.  Roll Eyes

That's ok, really.  I have no problem finding my own images. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

Nah, I had to spend the night at my friend's house  Undecided
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »

Nah, I had to spend the night at my friend's house  Undecided
What's with the Undecided? Disappointing night? xD

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »

maybe he means....'i was forced to spend time without my computer  Undecided'

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »

With living humans
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »

I forgot anyways xD
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »

i love updates like this. it reminds me Paul is alive Smiley

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »

Maybe he's a ghost. Floating around and coding.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: