Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 10:11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Networking progress...  (Read 23781 times)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »

So how significant is this milestone, relative to the big scheme? It sure sounds like great progress, but I can't tell how great.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:14 AM »

So how significant is this milestone, relative to the big scheme? It sure sounds like great progress, but I can't tell how great.

This is a major step for getting the real physics engine integrated into the engine.  It's one of the big things holding back more progress.  Code-size-wise, Physics and AI are a couple of the single biggest pieces.  And Physics is especially hard because it takes so long to re-wrap my brain around it every time I have to do something major.  So progress of any kind is pretty monumental already.

I'm really pushing hard to get the physics engine integrated.  Ships, proper water, lava, fire, falling trees, and even character animation are sort of all depending on this.  Even things like crafting and the magic system depend on how well this goes.  It's kind of a cornerstone of lots of things.

Tonight's update: (actually cut and pasted from the JME forum so may be a little more technical than even normal)

Just added some support for adjusting the up and down channel packet loss rates. I can move a slider from 0 to 100% loss and so packets are randomly dropped within the threshold. This is good because sometimes Math.random() is bursty and you’ll lose a whole bunch of packets in a row… just like in a real high-drop connection.

At 50% drop rate with a minimal amount of objects moving, the simulation is still playable. There is some jerkiness when there is a stream of drops but for the most part the protocol handles it. I will note that there is no latency built in yet… that will make things much worse because the latency will eat up most of the view-delay window that currently allows non-visible recovery for a few lost packets.

At 15% drop rate, it’s hardly noticeable at all.

At 75% drop rate, you can still play but it’s very frustrating as there is a lot of teleporting. I certainly wouldn’t want to do any combat that way. Wink It will be worse with latency.

After I add simulated latency adjustment (and requisite view delay sensing) then I may post a video.

Tomorrow I hope to add the latency tests with GUI controls for playing with different latency.  I will also add the connection stats support so that the server and client know how well a particular connection is doing (or not) hopefully with some kind of nice visual.  This is also necessary to figure out how far to lag the visuals to keep things looking relatively smooth.  Assuming I get all of that done tomorrow night then I will probably make and post a video and also post a new release of the prototype up to the donators group.

Then I could actually make a client server version for testing but after all of the above, I'll consider networking basically done... at least enough to really integrate.  So I'm not sure yet if I'll bother creating a true multiplayer version of this prototype unless I see some inconsistency in my tests that I think only a real network connection will properly test.  Though there is a part of me that wants to do it anyway so that we can shove each other around. Wink
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:41 AM »

math.random loses packets sometimes?? i'll have to remember that.

in any case, this is very good news! hope to see that video soon, and maybe start shoving you in multiplayer (don't forget the balls)

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »

No.  I use it to determine when to drop packets in the simulator.  If Math.random() returns a value under the drop packet percentage then I drop the packet.  But Math.random() will frequently return several low values in a row, etc..
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »

i feel like there will be an update soon Tongue

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »

For various definitions of soon. Smiley

I'm off from work all next week for the holidays and hope to put some time into getting closer to a release.  No idea what it will contain yet but I'm going to try and redo the menuing system from scratch using my new UI library and stuff... add mythruna.com login, maybe some more formal plugin support, etc..  We'll see.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »

I'm off from work all next week for the holidays and hope to put some time into getting closer to a release.  No idea what it will contain yet but I'm going to try and redo the menuing system from scratch using my new UI library and stuff... add mythruna.com login, maybe some more formal plugin support, etc..  We'll see.
The new main-menu will also seem alot more easier to use than the current buggy and sometimes confusing one. (Not exactly buggy but un-responsive at times)

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

No.  I use it to determine when to drop packets in the simulator.  If Math.random() returns a value under the drop packet percentage then I drop the packet.  But Math.random() will frequently return several low values in a row, etc..
ah ok. i wondered if i read that wrong. hope the definition of "soon" is soon  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Network prototype as it stands now:

Working simulated network connection quality and real stats tracking based on the messages.  I think I will also include average message size next.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

Cant wait to see how this looks in the game.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »

The other interesting thing is that those stats panels and controls are using my new GUI library... obviously with a different style than I'd use for Mythruna but they are functional enough to use now.  That's what I'll mostly be concentrating on over the beginning of holidays... the new menuing system, better plugin management, etc.... foundations.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »

The other interesting thing is that those stats panels and controls are using my new GUI library... obviously with a different style than I'd use for Mythruna but they are functional enough to use now.  That's what I'll mostly be concentrating on over the beginning of holidays... the new menuing system, better plugin management, etc.... foundations.
its all about a good foundation.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »

Is that going to be during pre-alpha too?
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Alpha is still six months away, Unn. Or did it change to five?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »

Yes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: