Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 11:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your whole world is off by one block in each direction...  (Read 34637 times)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »

I think he was wondering if, without smooth lighting, blocks would increase their brightness gradually or in steps. When you place a light currently, the light looks like:

As a light source moved, would the "numbers" go through fractions/decimals or simply jump from number to number?
Yup, you got what I said. Thank goodness. I felt stupid.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

I think he was wondering if, without smooth lighting, blocks would increase their brightness gradually or in steps. When you place a light currently, the light looks like:

As a light source moved, would the "numbers" go through fractions/decimals or simply jump from number to number?

I understood what you said, also.  It was pretty clear to me. Smiley
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »

I understood what you said, also.  It was pretty clear to me. Smiley
*gives award* Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 05:26:34 AM »

After a few days of false starts, I now have a working version of client-side lighting propagation.  It works at least as well as before but doesn't yet deal with block changes (efficiently)... and it's not as efficient as it could be in other ways.

But it's easier to optimize something that works than to optimize a work in progress that isn't even working yet.  And for now it's "fast enough" to move on to other problems for the time being.

I think the reason I hate lighting like this is because you take an idea so elegant and for performance reasons have to twist it into something so complicated and grotesque.  I can't even use the "it's hard to debug problems" excuse anymore because I now have a couple of nice ways to debug problems when they crop up.  Well, nice is relative in this case but I still have techniques I know will work to solve problems... which is more than I can say for when I wrote the first version almost two years ago.

Anyway, this is one to-do item that I'm really happy to have checked off.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »

Thats great news. Are you starting to see a specific date when we can hopefully expect an alpha release, or is that still past the horizon?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

Thats great news. Are you starting to see a specific date when we can hopefully expect an alpha release, or is that still past the horizon?
That's as far away as pluto..
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

I'm still not sure when I'll have the next pre-alpha ready. Sad  It's been too long.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

I'm still not sure when I'll have the next pre-alpha ready. Sad  It's been too long.
Cry It's all my fault..
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

Cry It's all my fault..
Okay then. *Pats you on the back* At least Paul doesn't have himself to blame... *Cough* Actual paid full-time job *Cough*
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

I don't understand how you blame yourself for something you haven't even tampered with.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »

I don't understand how you blame yourself for something you haven't even tampered with.
xD
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »

Ding. +1 for post understanding.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: