Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 01:06:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Inventory Progress, part 2...  (Read 17857 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:49:10 AM »

Yay, I finally have inventory management working.  At least the basics.

Here is a demo of the UI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vsIWSABSI&feature=youtu.be

I still need to hook up pop-up menus and stuff... but the results are encouraging I think.  It's also nice that I was able to push forward progress a little bit every day.  Being able to work on Mythruna every day and also being motivated to do the work every day hasn't happened in a long time, really.

Hopefully, I can keep up the progress.

I've been doing a lot side-reading lately.  Among the normal technical books, I've been reading some fiction for the first time in a while and it helps as a nice offset to work without resorting to fishing through the internet in a never-ending cycle of "who has the new content next".  In addition, I picked up this book called "The 7 Secrets of the Prolific".  I'm not very far in but it's already been tremendously helpful.

Anyway.  Real progress... yay.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:05 AM »

Haha Smiley No comment, but great job!
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

Gotta love progress

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Rex

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »

Rex approves it. Lol.
Good job Cheesy

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

Wow... amazing! I'd say more, but my spacebar thumb is hurting, so it's weird to use my right hand's index finger to hit the spacebar....

Anyway, I loved the box inside a box concept! Does it take up a little extra room, AKA, you can't fit an infinite number of boxes inside of each other? That would be good to think of :3
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

Hah, that's awesome progress. I noticed you have become pretty famous? You've already got so many comments even though you just posted it today.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

OMG inventory update!!!!! you are awesome Paul when mythruna gets far enough for custom sword (weapon) design i will make a sword with your face or something on the blade base as a tribute to you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:58:58 PM by ebag51 » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »

Wow... amazing! I'd say more, but my spacebar thumb is hurting, so it's weird to use my right hand's index finger to hit the spacebar....

Anyway, I loved the box inside a box concept! Does it take up a little extra room, AKA, you can't fit an infinite number of boxes inside of each other? That would be good to think of :3

You can see that it does take up more room than it holds.  I use the 3D models for the sizing... I made these in the blueprint editor and imported them just like objects in the old engine.  They are not otherwise "specially designed".
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »

hmmm..

Still 6 months away, or is it finally 5 months and 29 days?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »

At this point, I'm not even sure I will have the next pre-alpha release of the new engine out in six months. :-/
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »

With this update... I dub.. the game... IS NOW THREE MONTHS AWAY (Starting in one month from now)! WOO! Anyway, that's great Cheesy. So, if you make a really long object... like a long chest that's flat, will it hold more than a chest that has more symmetry? IDK.

Anyway, I'm just sooo pumped! If you've seen Blockscape, they've come out with a hax that makes it so you can see THOUSANDS of blocks far. I can only imagine how... how amazing Mythruna would be with that technology! Oh, and the round-ish stuff they have too. That would be neat (At least when you mine, so you don't mine blocks)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

With this update... I dub.. the game... IS NOW THREE MONTHS AWAY (Starting in one month from now)! WOO! Anyway, that's great Cheesy. So, if you make a really long object... like a long chest that's flat, will it hold more than a chest that has more symmetry? IDK.

Anyway, I'm just sooo pumped! If you've seen Blockscape, they've come out with a hax that makes it so you can see THOUSANDS of blocks far. I can only imagine how... how amazing Mythruna would be with that technology! Oh, and the round-ish stuff they have too. That would be neat (At least when you mine, so you don't mine blocks)

Interesting because the last time I looked at Blockscape's screen shots, the clip was ridiculously short.

With the low-res terrain Mythruna has in the background, I render out about 1.5 km.  I leave my default clip at 96 meters now just because I don't normally feel the need to have the extra detail when testing stuff.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

Yeah. If you look at the news section, they're advancing pretty fast... well, in generation mainly. Everything else is horrid. You fall one meter, and you implode! It makes the free version terrible because your world is deleted upon death... with no saving either. They've also added in a few randomized structures that work OK... the basement is a little buggy, and the stairs are a pain! There's also a ton of invisible blocks everywhere.... Hard as heck to move around without glitching into a wall, then not being able to free yourself without taking another 30 minutes to start another endless map with no trees anywhere....

Anyway, I think Blockscape is going to focus on 'gamemodes', like TD, Hordes, Attack and Defend... basic stuff like that. Also visuals, they're pretty amazing sometimes if you get to see multiple biomes at once. Mythruna is taking another goal: The more humble one. Style! Blockscape will succeed because it will look amazing... but will have little gameplay. Mythruna is the opposite. It will totally vanquish it's competitors (No need to comment there... we all know you'd say there's no 'competition') through sheer gameplay. Combat. Physics. Ships. Story. NPCS (The biggest of them all)!

Yeah, there's a lot more to say about Mythruna than others that focus on simple space exploration, or grand beauty... seriously, that's all I can say about those games. "Hey look at that game, you can go into space! What, you want more? Uh......... ask... later?" or "The visuals are amazing! Sadly, I can't do anything but look around." Mythruna gets "Sure, the graphics aren't great... but who cares? Minecraft was a big hit, and it said GOODBYE to graphics forever. Mythruna will have massive customizable stories, that will be nothing like 'different gameplay, every time!'... it will turn those words into dust. Mythruna will make you think about every swing you make... if you want to make it. Swords will clash against hammers, shields will spark with fire from dragons, arrows will soar through mud golems.... Chairs are cool and all, but can you move them in other games? Okay, yes.... But, can you make a SHIP that moves? Can your ship sink, can it EXPLODE or flood with water!? Yeah, right. Nice try Generic Brand Block Game."

Little bit of a rant there... probably the wrong section for this....

Anyway, love the inventory! I should have ranted about that. I actually didn't even see anything like that in the other games. Only game I've liked good inventory was UO, pretty cool. This, takes it to a knew level.

Oh, that brings me to a new question: Will there be weight to objects? So, even if a chest can 'hold' all the items in it's grid... that doesn't mean it can hold super compact bricks of gold like it's nothing... can it? (Unless it has gem enhancers to it. OOOOH Magic storage!!!)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

Yeah. If you look at the news section, they're advancing pretty fast... well, in generation mainly. Everything else is horrid. You fall one meter, and you implode! It makes the free version terrible because your world is deleted upon death... with no saving either. They've also added in a few randomized structures that work OK... the basement is a little buggy, and the stairs are a pain! There's also a ton of invisible blocks everywhere.... Hard as heck to move around without glitching into a wall, then not being able to free yourself without taking another 30 minutes to start another endless map with no trees anywhere....

Anyway, I think Blockscape is going to focus on 'gamemodes', like TD, Hordes, Attack and Defend... basic stuff like that. Also visuals, they're pretty amazing sometimes if you get to see multiple biomes at once. Mythruna is taking another goal: The more humble one. Style! Blockscape will succeed because it will look amazing... but will have little gameplay. Mythruna is the opposite. It will totally vanquish it's competitors (No need to comment there... we all know you'd say there's no 'competition') through sheer gameplay. Combat. Physics. Ships. Story. NPCS (The biggest of them all)!

Yeah, there's a lot more to say about Mythruna than others that focus on simple space exploration, or grand beauty... seriously, that's all I can say about those games. "Hey look at that game, you can go into space! What, you want more? Uh......... ask... later?" or "The visuals are amazing! Sadly, I can't do anything but look around." Mythruna gets "Sure, the graphics aren't great... but who cares? Minecraft was a big hit, and it said GOODBYE to graphics forever. Mythruna will have massive customizable stories, that will be nothing like 'different gameplay, every time!'... it will turn those words into dust. Mythruna will make you think about every swing you make... if you want to make it. Swords will clash against hammers, shields will spark with fire from dragons, arrows will soar through mud golems.... Chairs are cool and all, but can you move them in other games? Okay, yes.... But, can you make a SHIP that moves? Can your ship sink, can it EXPLODE or flood with water!? Yeah, right. Nice try Generic Brand Block Game."

Little bit of a rant there... probably the wrong section for this....

Anyway, love the inventory! I should have ranted about that. I actually didn't even see anything like that in the other games. Only game I've liked good inventory was UO, pretty cool. This, takes it to a knew level.

Oh, that brings me to a new question: Will there be weight to objects? So, even if a chest can 'hold' all the items in it's grid... that doesn't mean it can hold super compact bricks of gold like it's nothing... can it? (Unless it has gem enhancers to it. OOOOH Magic storage!!!)

"Minecraft was a big hit, and it said GOODBYE to graphics forever." ~ Teknonick 8.5/10 stars

Picture uncopyrighted by Moonkey -2013-
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:35:53 PM by Moonkey » Logged

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »

Yes, objects already have weight... believe it or not, working out the design for how containers would track their weight was surprisingly tricky at first.  It pointed to a small, but critical, missing piece of the architecture that ultimately produces a really elegant solution with a ton of useful (architectural level) side benefits.

That's worthy of a longer developer-focused post sometime.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: