Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 05:06:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small progress update 2014-01-07...  (Read 8430 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »

Here is a quick video progress update of something I've been working on this past week.  Took me much longer than I wanted but the hard parts seem to be done.

It's kind of blurring the line between regular and diegetic UIs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8zE48CQB8A

Tricky to get right with all of the layers involved.  I had to rearchitect some of my Lemur GUI library internals to make this work.  In the end the design of how that level works is very clean, though.

The past few days I spent fixing the other paper UIs to use proper styling.  It's fairly painful to spend hours and hours tweaking something only to have to come back and reverse engineer it again a year or so later. Smiley

Lemur supports a pretty flexible "styling" system kind of like CSS for web pages.  It's really quite powerful for skinning a UI and/or just easily adopting settings across a bunch of UI controls.  But when I wrote the original desktop-paper based menu, I was still new to how best to use this power.  Fast forward to this week and I need some new user interfaces to make into book pages.  My house of cards became very unstable and I had to bite the bullet and redo all of the styling in a more organized way.

Here is a pic of before and after.  I don't even really want to say how much work it took to make these look almost identical. Smiley

The only difference is the size of the "Apply" button and I'm ok with that.  I could fix it but I decided I don't mind it.

Now I can finally get on with creating the multiplayer login screens, account creation, and so on.  Always something.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »

I'd like to be the first to give you praise over this. This is really amazing, and so awesome. I love the animation and stuffs.

Now for Multiplayer, I cannot wait to see what you bring.

Team Pspeed!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:29:45 PM by Shzylo » Logged
theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »

Yes I do so agree this is very awsome
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »

Holy bookworms. You're going to make me explode Paul!
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »

I love 3D interactive UI's.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »

I think the whole idea of your indirect game actions being done through a book (your "journal" in game) will also help reenforce the whole "write your own story" bit of the "What will your story be?" part.

Property, blueprints, maps, skills, etc. will all be sections of your journal, nicely bookmarked with bits of ribbon sticking out of the sides.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »

I don't know what this whole "What will your story be?" business is... but I'll be sure to run around and ask every NPC, "What will yo' rap be?"
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »

I don't know what this whole "What will your story be?" business is... but I'll be sure to run around and ask every NPC, "What will yo' rap be?"
Hahaha, I remember what that was from.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: