Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 05:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Discussion #6 (1/15/15)  (Read 16293 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Also my character would refuse to eat meat and would probably be in terrible health.
OMG, you are a true hypocrite reptilian. Tongue

Well, it's how far I would go to feel civilized if I had to irl.

Basically, he's  paranoid about decaying to little more than an animal. He goes out of his way to make sure he's a significant part of society and would even go so far as to manage entire communities if it came to it. He's also big on dishing out favors and constaly keeps his temper and eemotions in check.He's not crazy; he has very good reasons for his actions. Those reasons will not be divulged here, though.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Being able to create tinctures that temporarily change the chemistry of your digestive tract if you're a carnivorous race would eally cool. I'm still working on the specifics, but an herbal remedy to allow for herbivorism in carnivores is possible irl. It wouldn't be perfect because it would end up slowing down digestion and meat sticking around in the digestive tract for too long is... problematic. I'm still working on surrogate enzymes, but odds are, the poultice would only be able to facilitate the digestion of an extremely slim range of plant proteins. Biochemistry is a pain. :\

I like being debilitated in games. I guess being weakenwd by my own diet counts.

On the note of reptile digestion, I only eat one meal a day and I'm satisfied all day. More than one irl and I get nauseous.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:42:34 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »

This is a rough guess of what an herbivore tincture would be. It's foul... ._.

Watercress tincture(raises ph)

Distilled Vinegar(mixed with watercress, balances ph and helps overcome gastric buffer.)(red vinegar is made by allowing open air red wine to ferment a second time. Distilled by freezing for 24 hours, then removing all unfrozen, red elements from the frozen vinegar.)

Palm wax emulsion(seals mucos lining of stomach to prevent correction of ph change[ph must be changed to ~4-5 from 1 but the body would normally attempt to correct a change like that; This prevents that.]) OR use additional watercress to the same effect.

Ground charcoal(slows digestion in general to compensate for stort tract and low surface area)

Yogurt(contains bacteria that can help digest plant proteins, kind of the main attraction) (made by allowing milk to ferment, assuming the organism milked for it has been exposed to the bacteria needed to make yogurt)

Cacao powder(causes stomach to hold food longer, gives lactose in the yogurt time to be broken down by the cultures, since the lactose would otherwise kill you)

This is the best tincture you'd be able to make without a magic herb and the bioavailability for carnivores is still pretty bad, but it shouldn't kill you either. :p

Like I said before, this tincture will make meat stick around for way longer than their digestive tract is designed for so meat must be carefully prepared or simply avoided. Nothing's worse than your own food rotting after you ate it. x.x

Guh, I'm getting nauseous just thinking about this damn thing. Ahh well, it was fun to do the research. Now I know. :3
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:13:31 AM by Rayblon » Logged

BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »

I wil most likely play as human mage. Tearing sh1t up.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »

Human mage never fails to remind me of Gandalf. Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »

...and this is why I need to let beards grow. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »

...and this is why I need to let beards grow. Smiley

Or beard hats.it'd be funny to rip them off.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »

...do remember that they are cold blooded, though.  Except in the tropics, deep ocean may not be easily accessible... at least not quickly.

I just remembered that hot beverages can significantly raise one's body temperature. With insulating clothing and a thermos, you could feasibly keep your temperature up with hot tea or coffee. The only downside is that you'd have to make more coffee/tea every few hours in game.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »

So I did some math and here is what I came up with.

Body
Avg weight: 90 kg
Avg water to solid ratio: 65%
Avg water weight: 58.5 kg
Ideal temperature: 80-85f

Beverage
Avg size: ~2 cups
Avg size in ml: 475 ml
Avg water weight: .475 kg
Ideal temperature: 150 - 175 f

Change
Temperature difference: 70 - 90 f
Mass ratio: beverage 1 to 27.75 body mass
Temp increase: 2.5 to 3.25 f

One thermos of a hot beverage can bring the body temperature up by at most 3.25 degrees depending on the ideal temperature and age of the beverage. On average, your kidneys can excrete a maximum of .8 liters of fluids per hour, so 1 thermos of a hot beverage can be consumed per hour.

Regularly consuming hot beverages can sustain someone easily in warm and moderate climates, but as stated before, insulating clothing would be a must in colder climates. Overall heat loss must not exceed 3 f/hour for hot beverages to be effective. I'm not good with someone that hates differential equations with every fiber of my soul, so ambient heat loss is something you'll have to figure out on your own.

And yeah, for some reason carnivores can process tea and coffee. Don't try feeding your cats coffee or something because they'll OD on caffeine. :\

Chamomile tea is safe for small animals.

Reptilians would be fine drinkng coffee... Teehee, that reminds me of tokyo ghoul.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:03:09 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 06:49:31 PM »

Also, hot beverages do nothing to people that are warm blooded. Your body will just expell the heat to maintain the core temperature(and if it's warm out already, it may cause you to cool off more than if you drank a cold beverage). In retrospect, that's probably obvious, but nevertheless, I thought that was kind of cool. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:53:02 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

Updating some information here: Coffee and tea in reptiles is fine... in moderation. Tannin poisoning is a thing.

Malt beverages, red wines, and black tea/dark roast coffees are all bad for reptiles. That means no beer, mead, ale, gin, etc.

Short brewed green teas are fine, as well as pour over coffee brews. Hard ciders are acceptable, but are acidic and may cause digestive issues en masse.

Pure white wines are alright, but green wines seem to be preferable. Green wine is exceptionally rare, and isn't actually green; rather, it references the fact that the beverage is intended to be consumed within 1 to 2 years of being made. Acidity is still an issue, but the alcohol content is substantial, and the amount of sugar is quite favorable compared to hard ciders.

Oh and avacados are toxic to all reptiles, as well as pretty much every fruit seed on the planet and most berries. Tomatoes, especially tomato leaves, are toxic, and are highly acidic.

Tobacco is also toxic. Go figure.

There are others, alot of others, but those were the toxic things that stood out for me.

To add on, another important piece is calcium:phosphorus ratio in the diet. An imbalance causes bone disease. Things that have a high sugar content or are highly acidic contribute against calcium.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:23:27 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: