Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 06:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Productive tangents...  (Read 78084 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

I honestly find it funny that the license only allows it to be used for commercial use. I might have to study at a later time about different licenses.

On the aesthetic side, in my opinion, it's a beautiful font.

Anyways, I'm ready to play that game some more. Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

I honestly find it funny that the license only allows it to be used for commercial use. I might have to study at a later time about different licenses.

On the aesthetic side, in my opinion, it's a beautiful font.

Anyways, I'm ready to play that game some more. Wink

I think you misunderstood.

I paid for a font pack that had that font in it.  So I know that I can use it in my commercial projects because I paid for the ability to use it.  I have no idea if I can also use it in "free" projects that anyone can download and modify because I don't know if the license allows for people to use it without paying for it.  ie: it would be really crappy of me to include a font in my open source game that no one could actually use because they hadn't paid for the ability to redistribute it.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »

So, how's the progress on this so far? :3

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2015, 06:12:10 PM »

So, how's the progress on this so far? :3

Ok.  I kept hoping to have something to talk about here but things drag slowly.  Work has been taking up a lot of my time and last weekend was my son's birthday party (8 or 9 ~twelve year olds in my house with a few staying the night) so I got noting done last weekend.

Yesterday was his actual birthday so there was a little bit of celebration just among us and I didn't get much work done yesterday.  Friday I got everything to the point where I have to start networking the physics, though.  I can login, set me user ID, chat with anyone else logged in, and 'enter the arena'... at which point I get a frozen of view of what's going on because no network messages are telling me how things move yet. Smiley

I wanted to be there before Friday so I could spend all weekend working on the networking but that didn't happen.  I hope to spend a few hours on it tonight but I don't know how far I will get.  I still have some day-job catch-up to do tonight also so we'll see.

Anyway, it's getting closer.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »

Ha cool, your son and I share the same birthday.  Smiley

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »

Happy belated birthday, Sean.

Paul, I'm glad to hear progress is now steering towards networking, sounds fun. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

Happy belated birthday, Sean.

Paul, I'm glad to hear progress is now steering towards networking, sounds fun. Smiley

Yeah, I look forward to having this one done.  It's like seeing the light at the end of a three year tunnel... which means "fear of failure" pressure is pretty distracting. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »

So, now I really do have everything hooked up except the real time messages... because if I hack some things a bit I can actually fly around on the remote server.

First, I discovered that I wasn't actually running the game loop on the server and I wasn't pushing entity updates.  Once I'd done that, even though my view was frozen, I could fly my ship around and hear the engines, see their animations, etc..  I could even fire my guns.

The way the physics engine works is that it happily does it's physics calculations every game loop and then calls whatever physics frame listeners are registered.  By default, I have two of these registered in single player. 

One pushes the positions as regular entity updates once per second.  This is to let things know the position of objects in the "regular" non-physics way and can be useful for things like maps or whatever that don't require real-time updates.  It also gives a 'reasonable' approximation of the object position when it is first loaded and hasn't yet received the buffered updates.

The second listener updates the time buffers that are used for real time interpolation.  In single player, these are updated directly and the visualization uses it to find the right position between two frames of 'good' position.  It's a convenient way to let the physics run in a completely separate thread and slightly ahead of what we see.  (necessary for networking anyway)

It's the time buffer updates that are not currently sent over the network and is why the client shows a frozen screen in multiplayer mode.  "But Paul, you just said you are updating the regular position once per second... wouldn't you see jerky motion?"  Well, no because the client is smart enough to know that it should be watching the time buffers instead.

However, by removing that second listener and upping the update frequence of the first (1/10th of a second), I can fly around... it's really jerky but it proves the networking is working, minus the unimplemented part that was the whole point of this project.

So, while I'd hoped to already be here at the end of April... at least I'm here.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »

So, while I'd hoped to already be here at the end of April... at least I'm here.

You'll get it out of alpha in six months either way, so no worries. :3.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »

You're not too far past the end of April, but deadlines are always nice to have.

Just the idea that you've got it hooked in now, and you're making sure things aren't going to be bad is a good thought. Maybe we can see a YouTube video sometime soon on progress? Wink
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »

Paul. That is every bit just... sick of copy-right laws.

"If you purchase this font, you may use it in your game! But only if you sell it. I don't care if I make money because of it, I just don't want you handing out the game for free with my font you paid for. I don't know why, I'm just a freak. And I like to make my copy-rights stupid crazy just to upset people like you. Ha. Ha. Ha."

Are you sure? I know nothing about it... but... that just sounds wrong if you can only use it IF you charge people. What the heck? Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

Paul. That is every bit just... sick of copy-right laws.

"If you purchase this font, you may use it in your game! But only if you sell it. I don't care if I make money because of it, I just don't want you handing out the game for free with my font you paid for. I don't know why, I'm just a freak. And I like to make my copy-rights stupid crazy just to upset people like you. Ha. Ha. Ha."

Are you sure? I know nothing about it... but... that just sounds wrong if you can only use it IF you charge people. What the heck? Tongue

Let me explain this again.

If I create a closed-source game it is ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO COPY ANY PART OF IT (without explicit permission).  So if I include some fonts I bought it would be ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO COPY AND USE THEM.  Thus it is safe for me to pay for a license that lets me simply use them in MY GAME... but not automatically allow everyone else to use them in their own game.  ie: if someone else wanted to use them then they would have to pay for them also.

However, if I open source a game then obviously I would want to use a font that DOES allow people to copy it.  So it has to be a MORE OPEN license... and there would be no point for them to have charged me for that because it would already have been free.  So I need to make sure to use fonts in the OPEN SOURCE version of the game that are also OPEN SOURCE... and by definition I'd have been stupid to buy those.

Did that help explain it better?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »

Note: upper case for emphasis... not shouting.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2015, 04:39:13 AM »

That makes more sense now. ;p
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »

That makes more sense now. ;p
I like to believe it was shouting.
"Gosh dang guys, I already told you"

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: