Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 09:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat Lounge  (Read 197289 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »

Testing some BBCode for indexing and table of contents purposes. Mouse-over the top two for fun stuff. Quote this post for some of that dank secret bbcode

SOH-CAH-TOA
Found a glitch! heh heh.

etc

Monospace fonts!

Hey bbcode. Wink

oh
dearie
me.

Let's
   make
      some
         lovely
            lovely
               staircase
                  upside
                     down

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:28:56 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »

If you don't mind my asking, what are these potentially impossible things?

It's lots of things but mostly all of the things relying on a really flexible physics engine.  From the top down, "Can players make their own objects?" and all of the things needed to support that.

Will we be able to have ships we can ride on?  Trees that fall over? Etc.

Can I properly distribute the multi-tiered of AI that I plan to have?  How many 'live' cities/towns can I support at once?  Many?  None?

Flowing water/smoke/fog/energy?  Beyond just cheesy cellular automata.

There are lots of these sort of open questions that are fundamental to the eventual final design and no amount of dorking around with textures and fancy 3D menus is going to get us any closer to solving.

If the answers to any of those questions are "no" then sometimes things start to cascade and I end up back to a more classically scripted RPG with random encounters, etc..  Not as much fun but at least the content creation path is clear in that case.

You might be surprised how many things are ultimately contingent on being able to properly and efficiently network the physics engine across a whole infinite really large world.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »

I think we should rename this forum "Rayblon and pspeed have a chat"  Grin

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »

I think we should rename this forum "Rayblon and pspeed have a chat"  Grin

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2016, 02:30:54 AM »

More abbr testing...

Lorem Ipsum

EDIT: PERFECT!

Edit2: I'd delete this but the illusion of more activity is too alluring.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:36:10 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »

So far I've reached november of 2012.

Codermusgrove was quite the character. Erm.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »

Was?
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2016, 07:24:47 PM »

Was?

Would you rather I say you haven't changed at all since 2012? Tongue

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »

Finally reached the point when I joined. It's a little gratifying seeing my first post at around the midpoint of the forum's long list of topics. It was 2 1/2 years ago, but it feels like I've known Mythruna my whole life at this point. Ah, but I've said that before. Probably too many times, at that. Doesn't make it any less true, of course.

... Looking at it now, it feels like I was a suck up even though I was legitimately just completely done with Mojang's crap.

Also this.

Oh and this is a great opportunity for me to purge all the cringe. Looks like I'm about to lose half my postcount as a result.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:12:12 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2016, 04:14:54 AM »

Okay, I finished up my work on the idea index for now. I'm sure I missed some things, but it was good enough to incorporate it into the thread.

The idea index as well as the list of discussions that Paul participated in on the general forum have been added to the table of contents. Oh, and feel free to pm me with anything I might have missed. I had to forego skimming every single post in favor of skimming topic titles for the important tidbits.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:20:47 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »

So far I've reached november of 2012.

Codermusgrove was quite the character. Erm.
I interpreted it as if you thought I was gone.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »

I interpreted it as if you thought I was gone.

Pfft. You'll probably be an old man before you leave this game, at this rate. Tongue

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »

Didn't think this was worth its own thread(it's definitely not worth its own thread) but whenever I thought about reptilians/argonians/etc that had actual reptilian facial features, I thought that they adapted a form of syrinx, which allows for a fairly expansive range of vocalization... including human-like speech. The syrinx has the dual benefit of usually being able to conceal illnesses, whereas mammalian vocalization is generally hampered. It may be less of an issue in this world, but seeming ill can be a death sentence if there are others eager to exploit it -- iirc, reptilians are distrustful, and this adaptation would add to it perfectly. On top of that,, it allows for mimickry... further making trust an issue(because that could be your friends voice, or...).

Although the syrinx is observed(and observable) in modern birds only, if we're honoring our own fossil record, it's not entirely implausible (In terms of theoreticals) that modern birds and reptilians share a common ancestor that had a developed syrinx. Though, a syrinx that's appropriately sized for a reptilian would produce very baritone vocalizations. Then again, perhaps they could be host to syrinx bundles, or a split airway.

I know, I know, itza viddy o'gaym, but it's worth considering. I quite like more bestial traits for races that are distinctly nonhuman, personally, so I might have a bit of a bias. Just wanted to get this idea out there, though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:36:05 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »

I always love how you can somehow find reasons in the real world for features of fantasy creatures within the game.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »

I always love how you can somehow find reasons in the real world for features of fantasy creatures within the game.

Without revealing too much, it's kind of my job. Wink

Actually, it's the other way around, really. I have to justify how I can make fantasy work in the real world, then follow through, for lack of a less revealing explanation.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:59:41 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: