Mythruna
April 17, 2024, 10:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Races  (Read 141748 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »

Yeah, it can be tough to imagine how a high level description will actually manifest in real game systems.  Hopefully I'll be able to do something cool. Smiley  ...but even I'm not exactly sure.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »

I suggest you add a Golem race, that would be pretty sweet.
Anyone else agree?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »

I wonder, though, if you really mean something else.  Traditionally, golems are constructs made by wizards, ie: stone golem, flesh golem, iron golem, etc.  Glorified zombie robots, sort of.

Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »

I wonder, though, if you really mean something else.  Traditionally, golems are constructs made by wizards, ie: stone golem, flesh golem, iron golem, etc.  Glorified zombie robots, sort of.

I was sorta thinking of more of a tank-ish race that can take a lot of hits, while fighting, and that's the best I could think of. =/
Or maybe an Atlantean race, a sub-race of the Reptillians.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

We'll have to see.   I can imagine tank-ish style physiques for almost all of the races except Avian.  For example, it's pretty easy to imagine a large-cat version of the Pantherians... and some kind of think-skinned or armor-played reptilian, or simians that more resemble large gorillas than monkeys.

There needs to be some "tanking" opportunities... but given how the races are all distinct and isolated, I'd think it might be strange to have a single tank-race.  They'd have just taken over everything a long time ago.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

What will the Pantherians' best skills be? They don't seem to have much going for them.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

Strong melee fighters, excellent hunters/trackers.  Any woodsmen/nature skills there might be, they will have in abundance, I think.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

Which (if any) race will have stealth abilities? The pantherians?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

Yeah, and probably the reptillians even more so.  Both will be similar races except where the pantherians have strength and living flexibility, the reptillians will have stealth, poison, and the cold bloodedness down side... but that's also what gives them a slight edge on the stealth thing.

...but I wouldn't want to have either of them hunting me.  As a bumbling human, I'd probably never hear them coming. Wink
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »

Thanks. Is there some place where you keep track of some of the smaller details on here? Like what will the AI do? will they mine or just operate stores and run from dragons? That sort of thing. There is much I _could_ say, but I'm sure you've thought of most of them. Just wanting to be helpful and not annoying.  Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 02:44:30 AM »

I haven't posted much about the AI yet except in these threads.

The plan is for all AI-based NPCs to have real lives.  Eat, sleep, go to work, build their houses, etc..  So there will miners, hunters, bakers, blacksmiths, architects/builders, etc. all going about their daily lives.  The only issue that may require scaling this back at all is how efficiently the "level of detail" system for the AI will handle whole towns and areas.  Since that's only designed on paper so far, I won't know until I actually see it work.

Still, people in limited ways were already doing similar things with nwnscript in Neverwinter Nights 10 years ago.  And that setup made it overly difficult and not very efficient.

And it may just be about balancing how frequently cities and towns appear in the world... which is a whole different subject.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »

i just got around to reading this and it sounds great :] i would be a simian or a avian XD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
RadioActiveFrog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 07:17:21 AM »

i would be a Reptilian or a Dwarf Cheesy both are epic Cheesy
pspeed