Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 08:58:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: High Level Roadmap  (Read 101125 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

I throw around statements like "game is only 15% done" sometimes without explanation.  Since the game has been sitting at 15% done for some time now, I thought I could at least enumerate the high-level systems/parts as I see them.

These are in no particular order, though I will maybe try to group them by relevance.  I'm also working from a few different sources of my notes so something may slip through the cracks and I will come back and add it later.  I will provide more detail on the physics integration because I've been working on that for months now and have a pretty good idea of what major steps are left to do.

-Physics (a broad category under which is..)
    -rigid body "integration" (motion) [done, not in game]
    -collision detection (player->world) [done, in game]
    -collision detection (player->objects) [done, in game]
    -collision resolution (player->world, static objects) [done, in game]
    -collision detection (objects->world) [in prototype phase]
    -collision detection (objects->objects)
    -collision resolution (objects)
    -collision resolution (player->objects)
    -simulation stability
    -physics networking (more efficient than what has been prototyped)
    -joints (hinges, hooks, glue)
    -links (ropes, springs)
    -pulleys
    -flowing water (water falls, etc.)
    -local effects (non-networked client-side physics for explosions, cloth, etc.)
    -flying/floating
    [Automatically included in the above are full-scale objects like boats because the engine doesn't care about size.]
-AI for creatures and NPCs
-NPC conversation system
-creaturee/NPC/player animation
-player race/model/stats selection
-create some creatures and NPCs
-item crafting
-containers
-clothes/armor crafting
-combat
-magic system
-food/drink -> hunger/thirst/fatigue
-mining
-pipes (for water or steam)
-seasons
-weather/wind
-documented modding API
-Mythruna.com store integration
-music (thematic and context sensitive)
-sound effects
-player history tracking
-mountains, deserts, tundras (including temperate-specific flora and fauna)
-random town, city, road/path generation (including support for controlling from a mods)
-random dungeon generation (including support for controlling from a mods)

As said, those are in no particular order.  My current plan is to get the physics system to the next working state which would include objects that behave physically... and hopefully object->object collisions if I can get them stable.

The next thing I will work on is the combat system prototype to nail down some ideas that I have about combat.  If I come to some conclusions then we'll at least see some PvP combat in the game just for fun and testing (no hitpoints yet).

The next major thing to go in will be AI.  AI and Physics are constant CPU drains more than any other feature.  I'm trying to tackle those types of things first because then I can get an idea of what the minimum system requirements will be for the final game.  There are any number of performance improvements I can make after that but it will give us all a pretty conservative guess at how the final game will run.

Along those lines, animation will be the next thing.  Properly done, this will tap into physics and potentially be a small CPU drain on both single player and multiplayer.  I don't know yet for sure.  And it will be easier to test once AI is in place because I won't have to log in twice just to test. Smiley

There are lots of things crammed in the cracks and crevices of that list.  My to-do list and whiteboard are filled with items that don't directly appear on that list at all.

...but the list is the basic idea.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:55:16 PM by pspeed » Logged
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

Mhmm... if you use "templates", perhaps you could get some assistance in some of the more... menial tasks.

-NPC conversation system
-create/NPC/player animation

I imagine this would be something like Civ3 for some reason. And it's good that you have a list here, for others to view.
Now that I know what's going to be in the game, I can plan my changes accordingly!

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »

Mhmm... if you use "templates", perhaps you could get some assistance in some of the more... menial tasks.

When there are more menial tasks to be done there will be an easier way to do them. Smiley

-NPC conversation system
-creature/NPC/player animation

I imagine this would be something like Civ3 for some reason. And it's good that you have a list here, for others to view.
Now that I know what's going to be in the game, I can plan my changes accordingly!

Are you referring to the conversation system or the animation?

The conversation system is kind of complicated.  In order to have NPCs act semi-intelligently in a randomly generated world, knowledge of the world and its inhabitants needs to be encoded in such a way that the NPCs can access it.  So if you enter a town, most of the town citizens will probably know about some encampment half a km away but only a few might know about the wizard's tower 2 km away in the mountains.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

Are you referring to the conversation system or the animation?

Both, actually. Except instead of a window popping up to show you the NPC, the conversation options will show. Kinda like Skyrim. But you could see their facial expressions like in Civ.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »

Both, actually. Except instead of a window popping up to show you the NPC, the conversation options will show. Kinda like Skyrim. But you could see their facial expressions like in Civ.

As the UI is designed, (and it's a super-loose design) when in conversation mode you will have a series of keywords you can click on at the bottom.  These keywords will be filtered for you based on a few factors.

NPC text will appear like chat bubbles on the screen (not like the current chat, more like text messaging)... scrolling up as the conversation goes on.  Other than that, it will be a normal view.  If more than one NPC is chatting with you then the chat bubbles will be in multiple columns but still vertically sorted by time.  Your ability to initiate a conversation in the first place will be based on proximity and where you are looking... so you will have that character in view while chatting with them.

And when the rest of "game mode" is done, I could find that all too ugly and redo it. Smiley  But I'm trying to keep the interface and controls to a minimum.
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Shocked

Mythruna will be really SU-PER !
Seriously, If Mythruna contains all these things. It will be interesting for many players.
I'm so excited to test the final version.
Good Adventure !

BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Here here for more  [done, in game]s

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »

Here here for more  [done, in game]s
If you mean "give us an update, please!", then I second that!
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »

When I look at the list, half the stuff are done, or are very simple to integrate. The problem is that the few left are the hardest. Take your time with it so it can be perfect. Great job so far.

Also, are you going to make your own music? That would be pretty interesting what you come up with.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

When I look at the list, half the stuff are done, or are very simple to integrate. The problem is that the few left are the hardest. Take your time with it so it can be perfect. Great job so far.

Also, are you going to make your own music? That would be pretty interesting what you come up with.

I have been so far making my own music.  The idea is to have some set of pieces with common themes to set the tone for the whole game and then incorporate music from other musicians (one or two of which I already have on tap)... who can create new "themes" or continue those core themes.

The music produced so far is still pretty rough (you can hear it in the youtube videos) and only one of the songs has been through the guy who will be doing the final mixing/producing for me.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:50:04 AM »

Ohoho, so someone is working with you. I want a picture of this "Guy" and verification of working. xD

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »

Ohoho, so someone is working with you. I want a picture of this "Guy" and verification of working. xD

It's normen from the JME team.  He kindly offered to do his "sound engineer" magic on my tunes for a game credit.  The early-pro level composer who offered to write music (for a yet to be discussed fee), I haven't talked to in probably a year so I'm not sure he's still into it.  Plenty of time for that.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »

That reminds me:

Will there be different music depending on season/biome? Winter-darkage-steampunk music sounds interesting. Smiley Desert steampunk is even more interesting.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »

That reminds me:

Will there be different music depending on season/biome? Winter-darkage-steampunk music sounds interesting. Smiley Desert steampunk is even more interesting.

Yeah.  I want to rely heavily on contextual music whenever I can.  I even have some experiments I want to try to make the music change more cinematically with view.  So if a town comes into view from across the valley maybe the music swells or if you leave sight of the road at night some creepy music will start playing or something.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:35 AM »

Cool! Can't wait!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: