Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 05:36:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Mode User Interface  (Read 94038 times)
tj866

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »

how much does it cost to buy a team to help you make the game?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »

how much does it cost to buy a team to help you make the game?

Heheh... a lot.
tj866

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »

what like 1,000 an hour
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »

what like 1,000 an hour
I think 12 USD an hour at max.. unless they are willing to work for free, then the price turns into time. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »

what like 1,000 an hour

No, but there are a lot of factors.  Caveat: this level of frankness may get me in trouble but we'll see.

First of all, a team worth having probably won't work by the hour.  They would need some guarantee of getting paid or they would want to take a cut of the final game, etc..  Usually the latter is a situation where a developer already has friends who can help and ropes them in.  Spontaneously creating such a productive environment is nearly impossible.

A general rule is that an employee will cost about 140% of their salary.  This is due to the required (by law) benefits and various state and federal stuff that must be paid (unemployment insurance, etc.).  Contractors are no better as their multiplier is usually 2x.

Moreover, I do not have time to manage a team without quitting my current job.  Given my situation with family and so on, I would need a solid health insurance package and sustainability for at least a year.  Even cutting my expenses to the bone, this is a decent sum that I don't want to discuss here.

Good developers that would really carry the project would at minimum command salaries around $100k a year.  Junior level developers of decent quality might go for half of that but then I would need more of them.

So you start to see that even trying to fund a small team starts to look like $500k to $1 million.  There is no way that I could even fund that much with Kickstarter given the current state of the game... and Kickstarter comes with some long term downsides that independent organic funding doesn't.  And anyway, even if I went that route to fund the game development I have many months of development ahead of me first.

On the other hand, if the game would be even moderately successful as a Kickstarter then it would also be moderately successful as self-funded through regular donations... which I already accept. 

It's extremely frustrating but every time I work out the math and the long term goals of the game... and believe me I do this about once a week lately... it still works out better for me to continue to try to grow organically as I am now.  I will reserve the option to use kickstarter to fund certain more specific milestones like the mod store and such.  Or maybe down the line to hire artists for specific blocks of work or something.

In the mean time, I will work around my wife's illness and the demands of my day job and try to push the next release out.  Since I have to take a lot of time off from work lately, every donated dollar really does affect how much time I can devote to the game.  My wife and I often refer to life expenses these days in how many "mythruna hours" they cost.  So it's a pervasive theme of direct trade-offs these days.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »

what like 1,000 an hour
I think 12 USD an hour at max.. unless they are willing to work for free, then the price turns into time. Smiley

I wish I lived in a world where I could make the salary I'm making while still being able to find decent software developers for $12 an hour.  I could conquer the world.  The reality is that even data-entry guys make more than that.

Mid level developers will need $45 to $50 an hour as a salaried employee.  $90 and above for contractors.  And these are folks who would be gambles just like any new employee.  The guys I already know are good would need much more than that... but I know 100% that they would push Mythruna forward.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »

Oh god, lets get back on-topic..
The newest build-mode game mode interface is amazing Cheesy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

Oh god, lets get back on-topic..
The newest build-mode game mode interface is amazing Cheesy

Heheh... if I didn't already spend an hour+ a week strategizing about money, I might have just said "Eh, it's hard." and left it. Smiley
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »

what like 1,000 an hour

No, but there are a lot of factors.  Caveat: this level of frankness may get me in trouble but we'll see.

First of all, a team worth having probably won't work by the hour.  They would need some guarantee of getting paid or they would want to take a cut of the final game, etc..  Usually the latter is a situation where a developer already has friends who can help and ropes them in.  Spontaneously creating such a productive environment is nearly impossible.

A general rule is that an employee will cost about 140% of their salary.  This is due to the required (by law) benefits and various state and federal stuff that must be paid (unemployment insurance, etc.).  Contractors are no better as their multiplier is usually 2x.

Moreover, I do not have time to manage a team without quitting my current job.  Given my situation with family and so on, I would need a solid health insurance package and sustainability for at least a year.  Even cutting my expenses to the bone, this is a decent sum that I don't want to discuss here.

Good developers that would really carry the project would at minimum command salaries around $100k a year.  Junior level developers of decent quality might go for half of that but then I would need more of them.

So you start to see that even trying to fund a small team starts to look like $500k to $1 million.  There is no way that I could even fund that much with Kickstarter given the current state of the game... and Kickstarter comes with some long term downsides that independent organic funding doesn't.  And anyway, even if I went that route to fund the game development I have many months of development ahead of me first.

On the other hand, if the game would be even moderately successful as a Kickstarter then it would also be moderately successful as self-funded through regular donations... which I already accept. 

It's extremely frustrating but every time I work out the math and the long term goals of the game... and believe me I do this about once a week lately... it still works out better for me to continue to try to grow organically as I am now.  I will reserve the option to use kickstarter to fund certain more specific milestones like the mod store and such.  Or maybe down the line to hire artists for specific blocks of work or something.

In the mean time, I will work around my wife's illness and the demands of my day job and try to push the next release out.  Since I have to take a lot of time off from work lately, every donated dollar really does affect how much time I can devote to the game.  My wife and I often refer to life expenses these days in how many "mythruna hours" they cost.  So it's a pervasive theme of direct trade-offs these days.
you should do a kickstarter when mythruna hits alpha that way there is more of the game done to be enticed by mythruna's awesomeness so you can get lots of money to move faster hrough alpha then you are now in prealpha just a suggestion

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »

you should do a kickstarter when mythruna hits alpha that way there is more of the game done to be enticed by mythruna's awesomeness so you can get lots of money to move faster hrough alpha then you are now in prealpha just a suggestion

It's always an option.  On the other hand, Mythruna by then should be earning decent income since donations get turned off and cycle over to real purchases.  ...and if it's not, then a Kickstarter may not help.

I guess we'll see.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »

It's always an option.  On the other hand, Mythruna by then should be earning decent income since donations get turned off and cycle over to real purchases.  ...and if it's not, then a Kickstarter may not help.

I guess we'll see.
i already bght a server and the game mythruna via donating  Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »

I guess we'll see.

Yep... and that's what makes you and the other donators "rock the awesome sauce".
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

I guess we'll see.

Yep... and that's what makes you and the other donators "rock the awesome sauce".
hmm i wonder when i invite people to my mythruna server whether it will be more like having a minecraft or or cubeworld server?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »

hmm i wonder when i invite people to my mythruna server whether it will be more like having a minecraft or or cubeworld server?

Would depend on what plugins you leave active, I suppose.  The full multiplayer game is likely to be more like Cubeworld, I guess.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Would depend on what plugins you leave active, I suppose.  The full multiplayer game is likely to be more like Cubeworld, I guess.
ya cubeworld with way better npcs by the way can i work my way to becoming king of  a group of npcs?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: