Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 06:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: An odd error with the startup menu...  (Read 15003 times)
jdlsmith

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »

First, all on Win7...  and java has been updated recently.  On my primary pc, Mythruna runs fine.  But on the two laptops, from the menu, if I choose single player, the "Launch Game" button does not work.  It appears to click, but does nothing.  Multiplayer loads/runs fine.  Have tried copying the files from the computer that works correctly... makes no difference.

Any ideas?  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

JS

Btw, the world looks great, and I love the idea of being able to actually build/craft.  Looking forward to seeing more of what you have planned.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »

Just in case, wiggle the mouse before you click on the "Launch Game".  The GUI library that I used for the menus is riddled with bugs and that one in particular is one of them.  I just haven't had a chance to replace it with something better yet.

That's probably not your issue but it was worth checking.

If the game fails to launch then it probably generates an error log.  This will look like error-12345678.log where 12345678 is a random number.

Also, each time the game is run it backs up the existing client.log files (to client1.log, client2.log up to 5) and creates a new client.log.  If there is no error log then sometimes I can figure things out from the client.log from the run where single player launching failed.

jdlsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

No errors in the error log.  It doesn't look like it actually registers that I've clicked the Launch button/text. This is only for the Launch in Single Player and for the main Exit button.

The error logs go in the same directory as the Mythruna executable, right?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »

No errors in the error log.  It doesn't look like it actually registers that I've clicked the Launch button/text. This is only for the Launch in Single Player and for the main Exit button.

The error logs go in the same directory as the Mythruna executable, right?

Odd.  If wiggling the mouse doesn't work then you can also try using the cursor keys to switch from one option to another. "enter" should select an option.

If the cursor keys work on the main menu but not that menu then it says to me that something (probably out of my control) is locked hard. Sad
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

I have had this problem 3 times when trying to login to the server. I click the button and nothing happens so I have to restart.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »

I have had this problem 3 times when trying to login to the server. I click the button and nothing happens so I have to restart.

In multiplayer it's a different issue.  When you click the connect button, all kinds of stuff happens (connects to server, transfers some messages, etc.)... and the UI isn't always good about reporting the errors... or more likely if it's a random connection problem it can take a long time to timeout.

But in single player, clicking launch should just launch the game... or error out.  There really isn't any in between.
jdlsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:31:07 AM »

nothing at all happens...

of course, as for the exit button, hitting escape closes the game window.

I'm probably in need of reinstalling something, or updating something... but I've redone the Java install, and OpenGL works fine, as is seen when playing multiplayer.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »

nothing at all happens...

of course, as for the exit button, hitting escape closes the game window.

I'm probably in need of reinstalling something, or updating something... but I've redone the Java install, and OpenGL works fine, as is seen when playing multiplayer.

I'm trying to understand what "nothing" means in this case.  Moving the cursor keys does nothing?  Hitting "enter" does nothing?  These things also do nothing on the main menu? (before going to single player game)
Evtal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »

they can't click the launch button? i can't even go into the game. it stops after the first settings menu appears. i use Ubuntu 10.10.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »

they can't click the launch button? i can't even go into the game. it stops after the first settings menu appears. i use Ubuntu 10.10.
I have a suggestion for you, instead of using Open JDK, use Sun Java 6.
Also can you run a java program in Wine? If it's possible you might just get lucky.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Evtal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »

i already am using Sun Java 6. i am using the launcher meant for Linux. unless there is a certain one for Ubuntu?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »

i already am using Sun Java 6. i am using the launcher meant for Linux. unless there is a certain one for Ubuntu?

If you got as far as the menus then the launcher worked ok.

I'm still waiting to hear from you if the cursor keys and enter key allow you to navigate the main menu... and if it still doesn't let you launch that way.

For this next release I will try to add some more debugging to that path.  The UI library I use tends to swallow errors if I don't specifically watch for them (can't wait to replace it).  It's just strange, though.
Evtal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »

i still can't reach the main menu. i will get the logs when i can.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »

i still can't reach the main menu. i will get the logs when i can.

Oh, sorry... I got confused between your problem and the original poster's problem.  been a long couple of days. Smiley
Evtal

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

okay. i understand. i guess it was a little confusing posting in a thread mainly about a previously posted problem.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: