Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:24:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: How much?  (Read 7486 times)
ahmadsal

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »

So how much money do you expect (or want) to make? I know it isn't really a question to be asked but isn't about 75,000 a year (hopefully they keep coming) a good salary? Of course you'll have to make more some years in order to offset the developing years. Does a programmer expect to make a good salary or an amazing (100k + a year) salary.

Of course it will always be great to make a million bucks solo, then live life easy the rest of your life!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:51:24 PM by pspeed » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »

So how much money do you expect (or want) to make? I know it isn't really a question to be asked but isn't about 75,000 a year (hopefully they keep coming) a good salary? Of course you'll have to make more some years in order to offset the developing years. Does a programmer expect to make a good salary or an amazing (100k + a year) salary.

Of course it will always be great to make a million bucks solo, then live life easy the rest of your life!

I don't really want to talk raw numbers as that's sort of personal.  Suffice it to say that I currently make more than 75,000 a year and that wouldn't cover my life expenses.  (And by the way, for the work that I do 100k a year is not an "amazing" salary)

I'd probably apply contractor rate multipliers to any decision to quit my day job and that all depends on how steady the income is, too.  The steadier and more stable the income, the fewer "months' living expenses" I'd need to have in the bank.  It's a long way off and realistically may never happen.  But we'll see.  It's a good dream and not impossible.

In the in between time, I could technically change my day job arrangement to work part time if the extra income was there.  I don't know if they'd go for it, though.  And I don't know what it does to my health insurance rates, benefits, etc..

As it is, for family medical reasons I occasionally have to take leave-without-pay.  I could technically work nights and/or weekends to offset this and not take the pay cut.  So donations do have an impact even now.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

Note: I've split this off into a separate topic so that it isn't forever attached right to the bottom of a stickied semi-unrelated topic.  Plus, it makes the discussion a little too "forever public" for my comfort level.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »

I don't really want to talk raw numbers as that's sort of personal.  Suffice it to say that I currently make more than 75,000 a year and that wouldn't cover my life expenses.  (And by the way, for the work that I do 100k a year is not an "amazing" salary)

I'd probably apply contractor rate multipliers to any decision to quit my day job and that all depends on how steady the income is, too.  The steadier and more stable the income, the fewer "months' living expenses" I'd need to have in the bank.  It's a long way off and realistically may never happen.  But we'll see.  It's a good dream and not impossible.

In the in between time, I could technically change my day job arrangement to work part time if the extra income was there.  I don't know if they'd go for it, though.  And I don't know what it does to my health insurance rates, benefits, etc..

As it is, for family medical reasons I occasionally have to take leave-without-pay.  I could technically work nights and/or weekends to offset this and not take the pay cut.  So donations do have an impact even now.
Soon, I will know your life more than ever. Wink. Heh. In a financial bind, I'd think of "Donations" as "Life savers". Smiley

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:47:52 AM »

I'm sorry for intruding a little too much there. I knew it was a little sketchy to start with and that I didn't expect you to really give answers, just projections like you did. I'm just exposed to this now because I'm in college now and I came from a household where 75,000 would be an amazing salary, maybe too amazing. Anyway, I have lots of computer science friends and I was just curious what exactly one thinks on what type of leaving is to be made. The problem is that so much work goes in even before you start seeing a real salary.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:38:41 AM »

I'm sorry for intruding a little too much there. I knew it was a little sketchy to start with and that I didn't expect you to really give answers, just projections like you did. I'm just exposed to this now because I'm in college now and I came from a household where 75,000 would be an amazing salary, maybe too amazing. Anyway, I have lots of computer science friends and I was just curious what exactly one thinks on what type of leaving is to be made. The problem is that so much work goes in even before you start seeing a real salary.

I haven't really looked around recently but programming is still a pretty lucrative career, I think.  Especially in some industries.

It will depend on where you live, also.

This was the first hit off of google:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/software-developer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

...nothing there surprises me, really.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: