Mythruna
May 12, 2024, 06:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux and passwords and stuff  (Read 40840 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

im scared to switch to Linux..

I don't want too... you can't play every game on Linux can you? D:... Plus, I'm used to Windows. Windows are for gamers, that's who I am. I invented gaming, so Paul, give credit where credit is due.

Windows _was_ for gamers.  It remains to be seen if developers will actually flock to Windows 8.  Seems pretty dismal.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

I don't want too... you can't play every game on Linux can you? D:... Plus, I'm used to Windows. Windows are for gamers, that's who I am. I invented gaming, so Paul, give credit where credit is due.

Windows _was_ for gamers.  It remains to be seen if developers will actually flock to Windows 8.  Seems pretty dismal.

Also, many Steam games are converting to Linux (that weren't already) and the Steam Console will be a linux console.  Linux may become a serious gaming contender... and it's about time, really.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »

Also, many Steam games are converting to Linux (that weren't already) and the Steam Console will be a linux console.  Linux may become a serious gaming contender... and it's about time, really.
Linux is a low memory usage system also, correct?
Like it isn't a hog like MS Windows.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

Linux is a low memory usage system also, correct?
Like it isn't a hog like MS Windows.

Honestly, it kind of depends... but it _does_ do many things more efficiently.  Thread/process management, file handling, networking, etc. are all a little peppier.

Half the reason I run the public server on a Windows box is because I expect to have problems there that I won't have on Linux... and I figure most (or at least a good number of) Mythruna server runners will be doing it from Windows.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »

I wouldn't say Windows OS is a memory hog, but it has a bunch of unnecessary services that run in the background. Besides, memory isn't that expensive.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Rexirl
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »

This felt like a good point to pitch in at, even though the topic seems to have gone, eh, slightly off topic...

Wine has worked like a charm for me, many times over - games like Warcraft 3, Half Life 2, Portal 2, and Anno 1404, just to name a few, ran just fine without me even having to tweak any settings specifically for them (on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit). Though very old ones, or very demanding ones - for example Crysis - sometimes don't work at all. Then again, in my experience that particular game seems to run poorly even on its platform of choice, which would be Windows.

Having said that, I'm obligated to caution against trusting too much in Wine compatibility - far from everything'll work well with Wine, at least "out of the box". If one wants to have a closer look, winehq.org tries to maintain a comprehensive list of programs that can or cannot be run with Wine, as well as instructions for how to get them working better.

Also, my pedantic side compels me to point out that Wine Is Not an Emulator, at least not in the strictest sense - in fact, that's what the name purportedly stands for. "True" emulation might have greatly impaired Wine's performance; ironically, as it is now some programs or parts of programs can actually sometimes perform better under Wine than on Windows.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:29:09 AM by Rexirl » Logged
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

This felt like a good point to pitch in at, even though the topic seems to have gone, eh, slightly off topic...

Wine has worked like a charm for me, many times over - games like Warcraft 3, Half Life 2, Portal 2, and Anno 1404, just to name a few, ran just fine without me even having to tweak any settings specifically for them (on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit). Though very old ones, or very demanding ones - for example Crysis - sometimes don't work at all. Then again, in my experience that particular game seems to run poorly even on its platform of choice, which would be Windows.

Having said that, I'm obligated to caution against trusting too much in Wine compatibility - far from everything'll work well with Wine, at least "out of the box". If one wants to have a closer look, winehq.org tries to maintain a comprehensive list of programs that can or cannot be run with Wine, as well as instructions for how to get them working better.

Also, my pedantic side compels me to point out that Wine Is Not an Emulator, at least not in the strictest sense - in fact, that's what the name purportedly stands for. "True" emulation might have greatly impaired Wine's performance; ironically, as it is now some programs or parts of programs can actually sometimes perform better under Wine than on Windows.
I've had good luck with Wine as long as the games aren't only DirectX 11 compatible.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »

I've had good luck with Wine as long as the games aren't only DirectX 11 compatible.

...and these games have severely limited their potential market anyway.  Though I guess XP is reaching end-of-life soon and I will cry a little bit.  Though maybe Linux will be a good enough gaming platform by then that I can still play games and keep my work crappy Win7 laptop for the other stuff that's windows-only.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »

Have you worked with windows 7 Paul?

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »

I wish they made an 'enhanced' version of XP to bring it back.., that was one of my favorite OS's and in fact my first Smiley
I loved the easy design, it runs smoothly, it is amazing. (2003 version.)
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

This forum deserves an Off Topic Award.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

No, I do..
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »

I wish they made an 'enhanced' version of XP to bring it back.., that was one of my favorite OS's and in fact my first Smiley
I loved the easy design, it runs smoothly, it is amazing. (2003 version.)
There kind of are 'enhanced versions of XP' with updated software and what not... But I can't say how legal they are huehuehueh.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

Imagine the old XP design, but with better fonts and stuff like you see on windows 7 (drag window to top or side, it enlarges.)
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »

That's what happens with login troubles.
Speaking of I cant remember my dang forum password but I dont want to rest it.
What is the best/most secure way of keeping track of passwords now-a-days.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: