Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 08:19:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux and passwords and stuff  (Read 40327 times)
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

Already posted this as a reply to another topic on connection issues, but I figured I'd better make a brand new topic, so here goes:

After getting disconnected from the server today, I can't get back on.
Whenever I try to login, it gives me the following message:

"Login failed

Client is not recieving UDP messages from the server.
Please make sure that UDP port 4234 is not blocked
[OK] "

I've made sure that I have the right port open in the firewall setting, but the problem still occurs.
Have there been any updates?

Sorry you are having trouble.

The real issue is that MS Windows sucks and so I must kill and restart the process every so often to reset the networking, apparently.
MS Windows sucks
^Dis.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »

A note: Dell computers are extra reliable. My dad leaves his on 24/7 and never has a problem. We were able to afford a touch-screen screen computer. (no tower). The resolution is ginormous, and it's processor is phenomenal. (The res is around 3000x2000 and the processor is either an i3 or an i5 at around 3.0 ghz.) It's fun to use the touch-screen on. We even tried windows 8 on it since 8 supports touch screen. Fuuun

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

A note: Dell computers are extra reliable. My dad leaves his on 24/7 and never has a problem. We were able to afford a touch-screen screen computer. (no tower). The resolution is ginormous, and it's processor is phenomenal. (The res is around 3000x2000 and the processor is either an i3 or an i5 at around 3.0 ghz.) It's fun to use the touch-screen on. We even tried windows 8 on it since 8 supports touch screen. Fuuun

I build my own computers.  This is not a hardware issue but a "Windows Sucks" issue.  The hardware is cranking away like a champ running a horrible operating system.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »

I build my own computers.  This is not a hardware issue but a "Windows Sucks" issue.  The hardware is cranking away like a champ running a horrible operating system.
So, it's the OS designer's problem, not the fantastic hardware designer's problem?
Edit: It's the Window's update designer's problem* hahaha

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

So, it's the OS designer's problem, not the fantastic hardware designer's problem?
Edit: It's the Window's update designer's problem* hahaha

Having built in excess of 30 computers in my lifetime, I have trouble seeing how the hardware could be responsible for the windows desktop crashing while everything else works fine.  Meanwhile, I have other computers that I've built that run Linux and measure up time in years.  The last time I had to reboot my main server was when the power went out from a hurricane.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »

I thought linux was going to look different than Windows but it just reminds me of Windows XP/2000.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

I thought linux was going to look different than Windows but it just reminds me of Windows XP/2000.

My server looks like this:

Code:
Login User:
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

And I can almost guess the desktop you were using, too.  Smiley

Linux doesn't "look" a particular way since you can put any number of window managers on it that significantly change how it works.  KDE is like Windows.  Gnome is like a Mac... etc.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »

And I can almost guess the desktop you were using, too.  Smiley

Linux doesn't "look" a particular way since you can put any number of window managers on it that significantly change how it works.  KDE is like Windows.  Gnome is like a Mac... etc.
I am actually a recent convert to Linux, from Windows. I realized my silliness when I read "In The Beginning... Was The Command Line" by Neal Stephenson. Fascinating read, if a bit outdated.

...Yeah, off-topic...
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

im scared to switch to Linux..
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »

I haven't switched yet, I just really want to.

I'll probably go with a dual-boot for a while so I can pick my way through the textbook I got from the library, then fully switch once I know my way around.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

I don't want too... you can't play every game on Linux can you? D:... Plus, I'm used to Windows. Windows are for gamers, that's who I am. I invented gaming, so Paul, give credit where credit is due.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »

I'll probably go with a dual-boot for a while so I can pick my way through the textbook I got from the library, then fully switch once I know my way around.

Maybe start with a VM in VirtualBox or something.  Then you can wipe it and start over, roll  back to previous versions, try out different distors in parallel, whatever...
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »

I don't want to... you can't play every game on Linux can you? D:... Plus, I'm used to Windows. Windows are for gamers, that's who I am. I invented gaming, so Paul, give credit where credit is due.
Windows is an unreliable operating system, sold on an outdated concept that only survives because of peer pressure, branding, and fear. Linux is more reliable, has more options, etc.

Rumor has it you can run any .exe on Linux using programs like Wine (Windows emulator, basically). I haven't had such luck yet, though.

If you use your OS as a way to relate to your computer; a way to control it, Linux is better. If you use your computer to show you pictures of a controllable world (games), there's no especial need to switch from Windows.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »

Maybe start with a VM in VirtualBox or something.  Then you can wipe it and start over, roll  back to previous versions, try out different distros in parallel, whatever...
I'm actually using VirtualBox to run the really old version of Red Hat that came with the textbook, but I haven't yet succeeded in running a Debian ISO.
Soon I'll have more free time to mess around with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: