Mythruna
May 11, 2024, 12:41:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Music goofing...  (Read 24070 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »

Paul, any location that you have where I am allowed legally to download your mythruna themes? i love songs w/out words Smiley and I would use them in youtube videos (of course the credit of the songs go to you Smiley)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »

He let me just download the mp3 files. Fiddle is now my ringtone.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

....i want a mythruna ringtone
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

Paul, any location that you have where I am allowed legally to download your mythruna themes? i love songs w/out words Smiley and I would use them in youtube videos (of course the credit of the songs go to you Smiley)

Use the links in the posts.  Just right click and say "Save as..."

I'll put putting up an official page someday when they are actually finished.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »

lol i love that tone, Don't see a problem except looping. I have it set to looping forever Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 02:35:54 AM »

I was playing with a new version tonight:
http://mythruna.com/temp/main-battle-theme.mp3

I need to put it aside for a while because I'm getting tired of it and some things just aren't working right in my head... needs a middle part, etc..  It was fine for playing around with the new sounds but I need to tear it down and start over after it's sunk in a while. 

It's loopable now, at least.

I also uploaded the main Mythruna theme music... variation on what I might use for a soundtrack for a game trailer or something.  I've used it in one of the videos but I'm not sure I've posted it here before.  It uses crappy sound patches (I need to update it to me latest sounds libraries) but I still like it.  It's the closest thing to "real orchestra" music that I've ever written.  And it's only got a third of what it's supposed to have anyway.

http://mythruna.com/temp/mythruna-main-theme.mp3
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »

I need to put it aside for a while because I'm getting tired of it and some things just aren't working right in my head... needs a middle part, etc..  It was fine for playing around with the new sounds but I need to tear it down and start over after it's sunk in a while. 
thats what happens when you mess around too much with one song at one time. Do you plan on having a lot of music in the game? or will it mostly be ambience sounds? i know you've mentioned both but i don't think you said which one there will be more of.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:54 AM »

The song is amazing! ^.^
Thanos

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »

Really cool score it really captures the essence of the game! May I add a couple of suggestions that would make it even cooler (to my ears at least)

1) Needs better orchestration. Like a bed of strings-pads behind the main melody and/or some extra melody harmonies over the main melody like a second voice repeating the main melody but up an octave or a 3rd higher (to give a more middle/trebble feel) I feel theres some space between the current layer of strings and the main melody
2) Needs better mixing the timpanies and percussion seems to be burried in the mix
3) Needs better more realistic string plugins

Really cool composition as it is though Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:25:10 AM by Thanos » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »

Really cool score it really captures the essence of the game! May I add a couple of suggestions that would make it even cooler (to my ears at least)

1) Needs better orchestration. Like a bed of strings-pads behind the main melody and/or some extra melody harmonies over the main melody like a second voice repeating the main melody but up an octave or a 3rd higher (to give a more middle/trebble feel) I feel theres some space between the current layer of strings and the main melody
2) Needs better mixing the timpanies and percussion seems to be burried in the mix
3) Needs better more realistic string plugins

Really cool composition as it is though Smiley

I'm not sure which song you are referring to.  If it's the battle music... that is already using a very expensive set of sounds.  If there's a problem with a string sound then it's in the phrasing/composition.  The second song (the main theme) is using a bunch of crappy free sounds.

For final mix-down, I will be handing the music over to a real sound engineer... he will probably also use his set of orchestra sounds, though I'd expect them to be similar.  I used to think I knew how to mix down until I heard his work.  Now I don't try very hard at it since I know it will sound better later. Smiley

I worry most about the composition... so all other points noted.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

thats what happens when you mess around too much with one song at one time. Do you plan on having a lot of music in the game? or will it mostly be ambience sounds? i know you've mentioned both but i don't think you said which one there will be more of.

Yeah, you can only hear the same tune so many times before it gets old.  And I've listened to that battle music 100 times now.  It's too repetitive for that.

Mythruna is supposed to have context sensitive music throughout.  Some of that I have to wait for until the game is farther along.  For example, it may turn out that this battle music is completely useless when real combat is implemented.  If sound turns out to be important and the music is drowning it out then it will  have to be greatly toned down.  For other things, it will wait until I see what I can detect.  If you come over a ridge and suddenly see a town you've never seen before, there should be some short "new town" music that plays.  When you enter the town, maybe there is a light theme that plays that kind of sets the mood for what kind of town/village/city it is.  For example, if you walk into a town and no one lives there anymore then the music can be darker or sadder, etc..  Synching it properly to easily identifiable information should be interesting.  Context should provide depth to your senses without being too overt about providing hints.  If you enter a town and spooky music starts playing it will put you on your guard instantly... but there should have been some clue that something is wrong aside from the music.

Once the various contextual triggers are setup then there will be a modding API added for registering songs with triggers so modders can write additional music packs.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »

Music language, harder to understand than binary
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

Yeah, you can only hear the same tune so many times before it gets old.  And I've listened to that battle music 100 times now.  It's too repetitive for that.

Mythruna is supposed to have context sensitive music throughout.  Some of that I have to wait for until the game is farther along.  For example, it may turn out that this battle music is completely useless when real combat is implemented.  If sound turns out to be important and the music is drowning it out then it will  have to be greatly toned down.  For other things, it will wait until I see what I can detect.  If you come over a ridge and suddenly see a town you've never seen before, there should be some short "new town" music that plays.  When you enter the town, maybe there is a light theme that plays that kind of sets the mood for what kind of town/village/city it is.  For example, if you walk into a town and no one lives there anymore then the music can be darker or sadder, etc..  Synching it properly to easily identifiable information should be interesting.  Context should provide depth to your senses without being too overt about providing hints.  If you enter a town and spooky music starts playing it will put you on your guard instantly... but there should have been some clue that something is wrong aside from the music.

Once the various contextual triggers are setup then there will be a modding API added for registering songs with triggers so modders can write additional music packs.
sounds good to me! i hate it when games seem like they just play random tunes.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »

if you play http://mythruna.com/temp/m-audio-goofing.mp3 and play this directly after that, it gives sort of a nice tune Smiley I have both downloaded and listen to them in a loop with Windows Media Player (WMP)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »

and do i mind to ask what program you use to make your audio?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: