Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 11:21:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna Health Bar Design  (Read 22727 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

I just got bored.. so I went ahead and made 2 different designs, one is classic, one is kinda gorish?

Left: The Classic,

Right-Top: Regular heath,
Right-Bottom: Poisoned health bar.

It roughly took me 5-10 minutes  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:40:43 PM by unnaturallife » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »

Mythruna will have (currently designed) fatique, health, and energy.  I will try not to display these very often, probably only when they are changing.  I'm not even sure I will use health bars for it.  I like HUDs to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Health is a hard one in general because I doubt the bar itself will be as concerning to people as which limb they are about to lose.  I have a few ideas for this but nothing I'm 100% happy with.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

You know what you are 100% doing for mythruna (just about) I am just bored xD

I am an artist, I just kinda want to help w/ development..
OH! I can go try to learn groovy, home alone w/ my brother Wink
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

Do you still think alpha is 6 months away?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

It's always 6 months away... until it's 5 months away.  It was 6 months away last month and it's still 6 months away this month. Wink
ap0r

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »

It's always 6 months away... until it's 5 months away.  It was 6 months away last month and it's still 6 months away this month. Wink

ap0r

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

And, if you don't like intrusive HUD's, how about using sounds?

like,

100% health = no sound
75% health = play a sound of a bone snapping
50% health = play a loop of coughing and wheezing, and insert random grunts and whines
25% health = over the whimpering, add a rushing heartbeat sound
0% health = i don't knopw how to say "requiem" in english, so i'll just post a vid of one, see if you get my concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

Some sort of sad music.

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

oh god having bones snapping constantly as you walk along sounds like a amazing idea *pukes*

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »

What about a lighting/color change. The further towards death the less color in the world. Until all is black and white, thats when you find yourself in spirit world
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »

And, if you don't like intrusive HUD's, how about using sounds?

like,

100% health = no sound
75% health = play a sound of a bone snapping
50% health = play a loop of coughing and wheezing, and insert random grunts and whines
25% health = over the whimpering, add a rushing heartbeat sound
0% health = i don't knopw how to say "requiem" in english, so i'll just post a vid of one, see if you get my concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

Some sort of sad music.

Sound will definitely come into it but some people turn off their sound.  When you are tired you will hear yourself panting, etc..  When you are very injured you will hear your heartbeat.  When your legs are wounded you will walk/run slower.  When your sword arm is injured it will become sluggish, etc..  But people still like indicators and I think something will fade in and out on the screen as it changes.  Since I have orbs on the bottom of the screen for left and right, I will probably use those to signify taking damage to your hands/arms... like they will flash red when you take weapon damage, blue with magic damage, white when you were struck but blocked it without damage to yourself (weapon may have been damaged or not).

And if you lose a limb (if I get that working) then the orb will go away.

I think I can keep left/right damage indicated in this way and have it be more useful than a bar... but I will have to play with things when the game systems are actually working.  As it is, I have at least two different designs for how health+energy+fatigue will actually work in code.  And health already means something weird here since it's really just "life force" and not necessarily directly "how damaged am I?"  You could be missing all of your limbs and be in 100% health, for example, if the bleeding has stopped and your wounds have otherwise healed.  The game wouldn't be very fun at that point, but you'd be healthy. Smiley  (Note: presuming limbs can be lost there will be a way to grow them back or reattach them.)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »

What about a lighting/color change. The further towards death the less color in the world. Until all is black and white, thats when you find yourself in spirit world

Yeah, I want to think about it.  My original designs all had "red tinged screen", color fading, etc... but those things have been done to death (pun intended) by now so I want to mull it over a while.  Maybe something more original pops into my head.

Material world -> spirit world will be a more serious transition... like entering a portal after you are a detached ghost.
ap0r

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »

Hheeehehe, leaving ectoplasm stuck in other people's houses sounds like fun
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »

when at 25% health, how about a slight colored red tint on the screen or around the edges? and death=SPLAT!
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »

when at 25% health, how about a slight colored red tint on the screen or around the edges? and death=SPLAT!
Or, how about you plug your brain into the computer and let the pain help you guess. Cheesy Just like the Matrix.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »

Didn't I already say "red tinged screen" just two posts up?  And why I try to think of different things?

These are well known and well used (over used?) effects.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: