Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Property System  (Read 81960 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:20:10 AM »

(This is a planned feature slated for a near-term upcoming release.  Though some of the RP elements will come later.)

In a multiplayer game, there is a lot of freedom to build or modify where ever in the world one chooses.  Human nature is such that some people will use this as an opportunity to create great things while others will use it to randomly destroy.

The property system adds a layer of control to allow players to limit what can be done in certain parts of the world.

Claim Flags

The most fundamental element of the property system is the claim flag.  All players will start with a flag that they can plant anywhere in the world to mark their territory.  A claim flag gives the player exclusive edit rights over a small portion of the world.  The current default size will be a 32x32 area with unlimited elevation.

When a claim flag is placed, no other player can edit in that area without being issued a "builder's badge" by the owning player.  No blocks can be added or removed and no objects can be placed or deleted.  Non-static objects can be moved, e.g.: sliding chairs around, etc.

A player can place the claim flag anywhere not already claimed and can move it at any time if they want to relocate the protection to somewhere else.

There will be in-game opportunities to earn additional claims.

Cities and Towns

Certain areas of the world will be designated as towns or cities.  Similar to claimed property, players will not normally be allowed to build in these areas.  Unlike normal world-level claims, players can place objects and remove objects that were created by them.

A town is created by a player who has been granted a town charter.  This is a plaque that they can place to claim a larger portion of the world than is provided by normal claim flags.  In the full game, this also gives them the ability to manage the town's construction and resources.  A player can grant portions of the town to other players or non-player characters in the game.

Depending on server settings, towns may have a limit to the elevation range they support but will nearly always extend all the way into the ground.  For example, a town may not be able to protect building outside of a certain height above its average elevation.

The size, restrictions, and requirements for obtaining the charters will be different for towns and cities.  This is a settable option on the server but the defaults will probably be 200x200 for a town and 600x600 for a city.

To obtain a town charter, a player must gather signatures on a petition and show it to any governing seat.  The petition may be signed by other players or by non-player characters that the player convinces to sign the petition.  These levels can be set as part of the server settings.

To obtain a city charter, the player must have already built a certain number of towns as configured on the server.  The default will be five.

Being granted a town or city charter will generally come with additional benefits.  For example, towns and cities may provide additional monetary and resource income.  In addition, the server may configure additional grants given the player such as extra world-level claim flags or town plots in existing game-generated cities.

Town Plots

The owner of a town or city may grant a player town plots to allow them to build in a small area of the city.  This is the only way for a normal player to be able to build in a town without a special builder's badge for that town.

A town plot is generally a much smaller area than a normal claim flag.  The defaults may be closer to 8x8 or 10x10.  Since these can be bought or rented in some cases, it's possible to have more than one for a particular town.

A town plot will have elevation restrictions that are likely a sub-portion of the surrounding town's restriction.  For example, town plots will be depth limited and may have additional height restrictions depending on the local town ordinances.

Once a player has built in a town plot, it cannot be moved without permission from the town owner.

Builder Badges

Players that own any type of property as described above, can give builder badges to other players as they choose.  A builder badge for a property allows a player to edit the property just as if they owned it.  Through this mechanism, players can still help each other build even while protecting their portion of the world.

Builders badges will be issued from the Property tab.  Each property will have a button that when clicked will equip a new badge as the player's active item.  Once given to another player that player will show up on the description page for that property in the list of builders.

A player that has given away a builder badge can revoke it at any time by going to that property's info page and clicking the revoke button for the specific badge.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:59:56 PM by pspeed » Logged
gametoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »

Very interesting, I like the direction this is going.  Sort of like an MMO, I like it.  What would be really cool in this system would be to eventually have a portal, say some block you could place inside your property that could teleport your party or just you back to your own personal server/world.  An example: "hey come check out my world, I have a cool blueprint you can clone."
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:14:26 AM »

Server to server portals are something I want to support.  Though that kind of thing would have to be arranged between the server admins.
gametoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:18:47 AM »

Maybe when you place it, you could set the server ip and then only the player that placed it would be able to use it, anyone else would need permission. 
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »

The issue with cross server portaling is that you may have hacked your server to give yourself a ton of super items that cannot otherwise be achieved on the source server.  So if there is any real portaling then it has to be coordinate between two servers as far as what they share and what they don't.

It could be done if it's little more than a hot link that reloads your game for a different server, ie: you'd login as a different user/character and none of the stuff would transfer back and forth.  That functionality would be a subset of the more complicated portaling that I want to support where you really can bring your stuff around.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »

This sounds great. It will create much more interaction that what is normal in "some other crafting games". Wink
I really believe that Mythruna can have a brilliant future.

Anyway, about the feature itself. I'm wondering if it will be some kind of in-game currency, which means that we could buy some plots in towns and cities. The cities could have separate zones, the center zones would be more expensive that the periferic zones. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »

Yes, for the game-generated towns and cities plots will have to be purchased or granted.  For the player built towns and cities it is entirely up to that player.
Salsaar38

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:01 AM »

A money system would be SO amazing! Mythruna is going really good... Paul Speed > Notch.... only cause you will listen to most of our ideas and Agree and have fun with them Cheesy

Thanks
St.Scott
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »

I think this is a really good idea!
I agree with Salsaar, that Mythruna is going really good.
Ragor005

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »

its nice but I want more exact area protection setup than a flag, I want to see what area I have and what area is not mine, but I like the idea of infinite altitude.

Idea to use system like world edit:
http://www.youtube.com/v/yl1hTctucOc?version=3&autohide=1
Yes, i am talking about the red lines shown in the video.  Wink

It will be nice idea to give a flag to make personal spawn points...  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:22:37 AM by Ragor005 » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

It will show up on the map... and when people cross into your area they will get a message most likely.  The map is the key indicator on where protected areas are.

It's hard to do differently because with towns and cities areas can nest.
Ragor005

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »

It will show up on the map... and when people cross into your area they will get a message most likely.  The map is the key indicator on where protected areas are.

It's hard to do differently because with towns and cities areas can nest.
but my house is very near of the road and I need to specific my area!, maximum 35x35 yes but have a wand to select the 2 points plz Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:06:14 AM »

We'll see how it works out.  Maybe you will place the flags for the corners... though that does complicate things quite a bit. 

The single flag as center was so easy. Smiley  It may be what I implement first and we can see how rough it is in practice.  After all, if it's in the wrong place you can always pick it up and move it a little.

...though, in towns/cities, strange lot sizes may be more of a requirement.  I'll have to think about it some.  I'm already starting to have some ideas.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »

aaah yes... had to read your post different times before I understood what you mean Wink

Now a little brainstorm, hope you can use it:

What about builder levels? So lets say a noob-lvl1 builder can claim a ... dunno 10x10 area. Placing blocks adds builder-XP. Lvl 2 is 15x15 and so on.
To claim a area you have to get these 'claimflags'. These are quite expensive to get (e.g. by rare matierals etc.) After claiming 3 different areas and leveling up to builder lvl 10 e.g. you can claim quite big areas and invite others to build with you, so you can found a village. If your village has some specs (inhabitants, farms whatever) you can claim an additional district to your village, so its a town. After growing again you can claim district nr3 and the town becomes a city.
I would love to see some transport systems. Like if your village/town/city is connected to a street it gets bonuses, same for the sea and so on. You should be able to give certain buildings certain roles. Like a store, city hall, dock etc. These buildings have to fulfill certain specs, too. A dock has to be partly in the water and at least 5x10 blocks or whatever. Having more and more buildings with these roles you get bonuses again.

Now let the tourists come! What about a 'LikeBox' for a town? Every player gets one Award Coin every week or so. So the player can put that coin into a LikeBox of a settlement if he likes it, but NOT at his own village! So you ensure to get not only funktional but good looking and innovative settlements cause these coins give bonuses, too. And usually people do not like ugly stuff.

Settlements bigger then 3 districts, a metropolis, have to be unlocked by a admin of the server. That prevents the huge stuff being build without admin permission and spamming his server. These can have like 5 districts and have some special bonuses (inner-city transportation system or anything else whats cool Cheesy )

.... thats it for now, do what you want with my ideas Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »

These are good ideas but the net result is not too different than what I'm already implementing as described above.  The difference is that having to get a petition signed before you can have a town means that there is more opportunity for adventure, etc. as you try to get all of the signatures that you need.  Besides, requiring a vote of confidence from the players is not a bad thing and if you instead travel the world enough to get enough NPC signatures well then I don't mind giving you a town of your own either. Smiley

Once you have a town you can place sites down for specific types of buildings and NPCs will come and build that or move into whatever you've already built.  But if you've built it or placed it in a bad site for it (like a dock in the middle of a field) then no NPC would ever want to go there.

Also, something to remember... in general the property system doesn't keep you from building anywhere you want.  It just grants you protection from others wrecking your stuff.  Assuming there isn't already some bit of property somewhere then you can build whatever you want... it's just that the next guy might come tear it down again.  The property system gives you some assurance that your carefully collected resources don't walk away. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: