Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 10:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Property System  (Read 81972 times)
BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »

Well what i have seen so far looks AWESOME.
Im really looking forward to this.
Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »

Well what i have seen so far looks AWESOME.
Im really looking forward to this.
Smiley

Cool, thanks!  It's funny, I almost pegged your account as a spambot or something but then I was like "A spambot wouldn't be so obvious." Smiley  (besides I don't spam-ban unless there is actual spam)

Welcome to the forums.
way2smrt

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »

If you claim a town or city you should be able to expand depending on the amount of people that have claimed property in it. For example possibly for every 50 or so people living in the town the town/city could be granted an extra 200x200 piece of land to expand on and as the town/city grows more populated it gets bigger.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »

If you claim a town or city you should be able to expand depending on the amount of people that have claimed property in it. For example possibly for every 50 or so people living in the town the town/city could be granted an extra 200x200 piece of land to expand on and as the town/city grows more populated it gets bigger.

We'll have to see how it works out.  Creating a town and city will be complicated and resource intensive.  If I do my job right then there should be a nice balance that keeps them from growing too quickly.  Also as towns and cities get more prosperous hopefully NPCs start to move in near the town.  (Which would make expanding the existing town more difficult.)

One thing is sure, if you already have a thriving town then it should be easy to secure what you need to build a second one.  The number of signatures you need is probably less and you could just get every NPC in the existing town to sign it.  If you are doing a good job then they would have no problem doing that.

Like in real life, trying to manage five towns will be quite tricky.  But if a player manages to set them up properly so that they mostly run themselves and has a real knack for it, then granting a city would be the next logical step.  Cities will be more complicated to manage.  They are larger, denser, and must provide taxes and services to the kingdom. (At least that's the plan.)  So, for example, while a town or village only needs to look out for itself and send a per-capita tax to the local lord, a city will have to provide a local militia, defense for the surrounding countryside, a fortified seat of government, and open access to any important land marks like ports and harbors.  Stuff like that.

...if I can make it all work.
renadi

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

Have you considered a decay system for unclaimed/unused construction?

Think it'd help minimize building spam all over and give you another reason to build a town.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

Have you considered a decay system for unclaimed/unused construction?

Think it'd help minimize building spam all over and give you another reason to build a town.

I don't know.  I think on the creative servers most people will protect their stuff and on a "game" server it will be harder to build stuff and so it seems unfair to decay it.

Still, I have a partially implemented algorithm for turning a building into ruins.  Maybe I should use that on more than just NPC structures some day. Smiley
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »

I just spent hours running around and there are freakin chairs everywhere.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »

I just spent hours running around and there are freakin chairs everywhere.

Yeah, I need to mass-delete unprotected chairs... and I need to make the default object tool do nothing so users will at least have to know to ctrl mouse wheel to an object.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »

The forest of chairs. Every chair represents one soul that died. Or one that turned evil. ~♪…

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »

Sounds amazing. I seriously can't wait to get on this. Griefers wind me up SO MUCH!
Few questions:
1) Will the same system be in place in NPC towns and will it be possible to get a plot in an NPC town or city? (I'd love to live among the NPCs)
2) Would it be possible to put a "For Sale" or "For Rent" sign up in a town or city if you own the plot to make sales easier?
3) What kind of government systems are you thinking of? Will it all be talk between mayors or will there be a built-in system for government.
4) Would you also set up a "key" system? E.G. I want to let someone have a wander in my place but don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry dropping in, could I give that person access without letting them alter my lovely home?
5) How is rent going to be collected? And if someone doesn't make it how's that going to go down?

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »

Sounds amazing. I seriously can't wait to get on this. Griefers wind me up SO MUCH!
Few questions:
1) Will the same system be in place in NPC towns and will it be possible to get a plot in an NPC town or city? (I'd love to live among the NPCs)
2) Would it be possible to put a "For Sale" or "For Rent" sign up in a town or city if you own the plot to make sales easier?
3) What kind of government systems are you thinking of? Will it all be talk between mayors or will there be a built-in system for government.
4) Would you also set up a "key" system? E.G. I want to let someone have a wander in my place but don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry dropping in, could I give that person access without letting them alter my lovely home?
5) How is rent going to be collected? And if someone doesn't make it how's that going to go down?

1) Yes.  This will be the most common thing, I think.
2) Sure.  Any kind of sign will be possible at some point.  I don't know if a "For Sale" sign will have special meaning to the game or not.
3) I believe this has been covered elsewhere in more detail.  Bottom line: the guilds keep every connected free-trading culture relatively standardized.
4) You can already give people badges that let them modify... but yes there will be keys and locks and stuff.
5) I don't know yet.
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »

1,3,4) Yay
2) I was actually thinking about a sign where you allow the house to be sold automatically by putting the price on and having people be able to buy or begin renting a location in your absence.
5) Any ideas?

I'm starting to feel like I'm asking too many questions about this game.... Am I?

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

1,3,4) Yay
2) I was actually thinking about a sign where you allow the house to be sold automatically by putting the price on and having people be able to buy or begin renting a location in your absence.
5) Any ideas?

I'm starting to feel like I'm asking too many questions about this game.... Am I?
No way. You're just enthusiastic. I'm sure Paul enjoys making people happy by answering their questions.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »

5) Any ideas?

So many different things will happen between now and then that it makes no sense to design yet.  It may just naturally fall out of some other system.  I know you will be able to sell your property eventually and the game will provide some mechanic for doing so.  I'll do whatever makes sense when more of the other systems are in place.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »

5) Any ideas?

So many different things will happen between now and then that it makes no sense to design yet.  It may just naturally fall out of some other system.  I know you will be able to sell your property eventually and the game will provide some mechanic for doing so.  I'll do whatever makes sense when more of the other systems are in place.
Basically like once you get to making that idea into the game, you have to change up your original idea if it doesn't work with how the game works.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: