Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:47:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Property System  (Read 81979 times)
xXxGIBBZxXx

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

Sounds awesome. Will we be able to claim large areas of water too? like entirely water? or will the plots have a "minimum land" requirement? Also will those property boxes on the photoshop facebook pic appear on the regular in-game map or just the "property map?'
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »

You can place property claims anywhere.  A "player stronghold" is default 32x32 area but can be dragged to any size as long as the area does not exceed 1024.  They protect an area from bedrock to sky.

A town is 128x128 by default and can also be stretched as above, obviously with a larger max area.  Cities are the same but larger, I don't remember the number of the top of my head. Wink

The plots that are given out in a town or a city vary in size.  They also limit min/max elevation... and the size and heights are different for cities (smaller and taller).

The plan is to draw stronghold, town, and city names on the big map as well as borders if that layer is toggled on.  Both of those layers can be turned off.  When you are in a town/city, then the sub-plot borders will be drawn.  I haven't decided if there will be a way to turn them on all the time.

In the town view in that pictures, those drawn borders are the sub-plots for the town.  At some point, I hope that selection in the list at the bottom is reflected in that small map, and vice versa.  I don't know if I will have that done for this release.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:01 AM »

I have this much working for real in game now:

The groups in the tree on the left expand/collapse as they are selected.  So far, the panel on the right I just have the graphics setup but it's important to note that it's already built so that it can animate rolling up and rolling down.  Still at least two more nights of UI work but I think it will be worth it in the long run to have this feature nearly 100% complete.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »

That's really great looking. Can't wait to see it in action.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 12:03:32 AM »

what are these "town city plots"? Like Quests from a town? Or some story of the town, like how old, who has founded or stuff or even town rumors with hints where to find quests?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 12:13:23 AM »

Not that kind of plot... a "plot of land".

People who have cities or towns can give out small plots of land to allow people to build in their town.  It's the only way anyone else can build in a city/town.  This will also be how you get NPCs to move in and start businesses... by offering up plots for certain types of buildings.

That part of the tree lists the plots that you own in various towns and cities (including your own).

I hope that makes things clearer.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »

For example, I just snapped this "work in progress" screen.  Some parts are undone or still in test mode but hopefully it makes a little more sense:

To get that view, I expanded the "Towns" part of the tree and selected "Spawn Overlook" to get it to appear on the right.  Then I expanded my "Town/City Plots"... it just happens to be that all of my plots come from Spawn Overlook right now so the lists are similar.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:18:37 AM by pspeed » Logged
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »

oh, ok thanks a buch. Now I get the idea!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 04:17:59 AM »

Since I posted them to Facebook I shall post them here as well.

Slightly different version of the one before without the town/city plots open.

And how far I've gotten with displaying properties on the map before calling it a night:

Note: the little dots on the map was where I placed water blocks when I was determining what the size of the property areas was when I was initializing figuring out what their max sizes should be.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:41 AM »

Very nice, but one suggestion:
It could happen that the text overlaps with anotherone, so is it possible to make flags or pins or stuff and poping up the text while hovering with the mouse over them?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:14 AM »

The way things are scaled, it's not really easily possible to overlap unless you have two undersized areas near each other (ie: the property was placed but not expanded to its full size).  Also, the owner can move the label and rotate it within the plot.  So I guess if you move it really far to one edge you might overlap someone else right up next to you.

It will be possible to have pins like the spawn flag but I don't  know when I will do it.  As much as possible, I wanted it to look like a hand-drawn map with the places written on it... which is why I give the owner of a property the option to move and rotate the label as needed.

The town sub-plots will almost certainly be done this way, though... those plots are really quite tiny in comparison.  But I may also see about rendering the text if you are in maximum zoom.

See... the issue... and it was going to be a surprise... is that on the side I'm working on a live mini-map that you can leave open while walking around.  So map pins don't work so well for that.  The more info I can lay right on the map the better.
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:02 AM »

Fantastic ideas here. I'm really waiting for these to get implemented.

I really like the idea that you get to buy a piece of land, then build a house or farm on it. Sell crops, etc earn cash and buy more land.
Very engaging and fun experience.

Good luck Paul! Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »

Thanks.  As you've seen separately, and to help round out this thread: the bulk of the property system has been implemented or will be finished in the next release.  However, this is just the base system for marking, protecting, and managing sections of the world and/or towns.

The buying/selling/earning of property (ie: the actual 'game' part) will come later as more of the game itself takes shape.
ranger10700

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »

Expanding on the idea of protecting the world, perhaps in a plot you can only destroy grass, rock and what you place, That way the original owner can put stuff in there to designate or whatever, but the player cant take that down. Also, perhaps within a, say, 16 or so block boundary around a town or stronghold noone can build or destroy blocks. This could help maintain the look and feel of the world.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

I agree on the buffer zone around towns.  It becomes tricky to manage sometimes when things are butted right up next to each other but I definitely want it in the real game.  It's somewhat less important in a build-only world, I guess.

I'll think about the other one.  It may require some additions to the permission system and now is the time to think about that before it's too much further set in stone (pun intended). Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: