Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 10:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a time table for implementation with in Mythruna?  (Read 7047 times)
Freejack

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »

Was wondering, looking forward to mobs and property implementations. Have server up and running testing on now.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

Every time I seem to promise something then life takes a good strong whack at my free time. Wink

There will be a release tonight or tomorrow that gives server admins some tools to help clean up griefing.  Also the foundation is then in place for general scripting of admin tools as well as player tools.

Then the plan is to finish up the property user interface and roll that out.  I'd like to say it would be another week... I'll keep my fingers crossed.  The custom tool ability above actually may help out with this since there is no player inventory yet.

Next I go back to trying to get physics stable enough to include (turned on) in a release.  There may be a few iterations of that as I add big objects and ropes, hinges, etc..

Then the plan is to get to Mobs... to include animation, AI, etc..  I may do AI first with no animation and the swing back around for animation.  Somewhere during this process, I will add NPCs that the player can interact with.  It's possible that player inventory gets rolled in with these changes, too... depending on how well things go.

Somewhere in the midst of all of that there will be enhancements to the world generator, too to finally include caves, dungeons, towns, and cities.

My super-extra-aggressive schedule is to try to get all major systems implemented by December... but life has a way of making me eat those kinds of plans.  Especially since that's already a lot later than I originally wanted anyway.  (For example, physics was supposed to be done in July and I'd be almost done with AI by now.)  Oh, well.
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

Also is there a listing of the specs to run the client? I get varying results from different machines. I have 2 pretty high end systems that should run it no problem but only get about 20fps on one and 8-12 on the other. All other games run great on those machines @ 30FPS. Also if you need help with scripting or anything let me know I can volunteer my time.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »

It definitely runs better on hardware with decent OpenGL shader support.  At a default clip of 128m, my nVidia GTX460 runs it close to 200 FPS except around spawn town on the server... that's pretty overbuilt and so slows to 100 FPS or so.  If I increase clip (F12) to 192, that drops to around 60 in town, 120 or so away from town.

My old GeForce 9800 ran most of the regular world at around 72 FPS.

Mostly it seems like the two year old cards get less than 20 right now if they run at all.... newer beefier cards do better.  On board RAM may also be a factor.

It's tough to say what the final specs will be.  On the one hand, I haven't really optimized anything yet.  On the other, there are a few more things I plan to cram in as well. Smiley
deadering

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »

Wow, that's some really cool stuff you plan on getting to. It actually clears up a few questions I had about the game. Speaking of which, is there any good place to find a list of planned features? Thanks in advance.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »

Wow, that's some really cool stuff you plan on getting to. It actually clears up a few questions I had about the game. Speaking of which, is there any good place to find a list of planned features? Thanks in advance.

No, not yet.  I've been pretty tight lipped... partially because I'm not yet sure what is impossible.  I'm trying to do all of the "impossible" stuff first to make decisions about that stuff.  Once I have a better handle on what I really think I can do then I will start opening up more about specifics.

In general, I'm trying to make a role playing game that I can play myself.  I come from the Neverwinter Nights modding community where there were quite a few really good persistent world servers.  Like MMO-RPGs without the first M.  The problems of building that type of constantly living world were often more of a challenge than any quests that were added, etc... I'm trying to implement the systems in Mythruna so that those sorts of persistent world servers are much easier to create because all of the base systems of a living, functioning, persistent world are already in place.  (In fact, in the simplest cases the towns and cities may already be there, too.)

Combine those systems with pretty aggressive random generation and I believe that I can make a game that even I can play because it will still surprise me.  Layer some add-on or community-developed quests on top of that and I may never log out. Wink

There are still one or two feasibility questions I have to answer for myself before I can really be too much more specific.  For example, even the question "How will item crafting work?" depends on a few things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: