Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 06:31:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: If it's possible, would you like it if abandoned properties on the MP server were deleted to give active players more space?
Yes - 3 (42.9%)
No - 4 (57.1%)
Maybe, if.. (post reasons below) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delete abandoned properties?  (Read 9254 times)
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

As you have probably noticed, the multiplayer is just spammed with strongholds built in times long forgotten, and abandoned since then.
There are sometimes some incredibly strange (and IMO bad looking) constructions out there, built as experiments in time of boredom by 2-day accounts, now just sitting in the way of proper active players who want to expand.
So, would you like it if those properties would be deleted if it's possible?
I mean, properties would be deleted, but not what's built in them. That would be for the active players to do once  it gets in the way.
Also, some of these buildings, however forgotten, might just inspire new players to built a big city around them.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »

There is infinite space but it is impossible to tell which properties are abandoned forever. 

The only way I will delete a property is if you track down the original player and ask them if it's ok.  Otherwise, just walk a little farther.  After all, the spawn point will move someday and then all of this tight property won't mean very much anymore.

It's hard to justify the "I need more space" argument when the world is effectively infinite in all directions.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »

this would allow people to not have to go a 1000 blocks just to build stuff Tongue

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

There is infinite space but it is impossible to tell which properties are abandoned forever. 

The only way I will delete a property is if you track down the original player and ask them if it's ok.  Otherwise, just walk a little farther.  After all, the spawn point will move someday and then all of this tight property won't mean very much anymore.

It's hard to justify the "I need more space" argument when the world is effectively infinite in all directions.
With the current engine (20120627), doesn't the world only load to 1,000,000 as the highest coordinate in each direction (not including the y-axis)?
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »

Obviously I have no knowledge of how the game works, but I had an idea like this:

Every registered player gets some sort of extra flag, which they have to put in their property within (let's say about) two months, and after those two months, all properties that don't have the flag (there should be some way to do automatically find all flags to make this work though, like a beacon that sends a signal) get deleted.
If the player turns out to be inactive for a couple of months, there's still a big chance his buildings and stuff are still out there, so all he'll have to do is put down his stronghold again.

Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »

Obviously I have no knowledge of how the game works, but I had an idea like this:

Every registered player gets some sort of extra flag, which they have to put in their property within (let's say about) two months, and after those two months, all properties that don't have the flag (there should be some way to do automatically find all flags to make this work though, like a beacon that sends a signal) get deleted.
If the player turns out to be inactive for a couple of months, there's still a big chance his buildings and stuff are still out there, so all he'll have to do is put down his stronghold again.
And worry about having it stolen and griefed :3... we need a new work for Mythruna... He'll be Mythed!

Anyway, not a bad idea, but what about people that are FOR SURE super active? Perhaps an option for admins to do:
PlayerA = NoStrongholdDestruction
Player1 = NoStrongholdDestruction
Teknonick = NoStrongholdDestruction
Paul = NoStrongholdDestruction
RandomDude18542 = YesStrongholdDestruction

AKA, everyone EXCEPT that last guy doesn't have to worry about the auto-decay :3
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »

This is why for the new spawnpoint, I grabbed a huge property around the whole thing.
a) everyone will have to walk a while to find somewhere to build.
b) therefore the "nearby" areas to build will be a much larger selection (as the radius increases so does the circumference).
c) once you are already walking then why not find somewhere actually _good_ instead of just plopping blocks down in the first place you see.
d) the spawn point won't be a laggy mess.

Anyway, I can't give people property just to arbitrarily take it away again.  At best any new scheme could only apply to new property because I never told the other players they would have to login to refresh it.  I can't just steal it back from them.  So it still won't help with the current spawn area.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »

I've been gone for a very long time, due to school family and work. But I would be upset if all the work that was put into my contributions would be gone, and OK like you said things may still be there but. Properties are gone. But that doesn't stop another from laying claim on my work and making me fin somewhere new lol

Oh and I will be back, semester is about over...which means more fun for me
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »

I've been gone for a very long time, due to school family and work. But I would be upset if all the work that was put into my contributions would be gone, and OK like you said things may still be there but. Properties are gone. But that doesn't stop another from laying claim on my work and making me fin somewhere new lol

I hope that you had fun in your school, I hope that going was a great choice.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »

Like I always say. Nothing stays forever. We just have to take a picture, and move on. *snap snap*

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »

Yes this semester was a lot of fun, I'm about 95% done with my game, and traits has bugs but eh it's fun.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: