Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 05:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerning the forum.  (Read 10388 times)
Atlas

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

Seems like this forum is dieing down a bit. :/
I think we need to promote this game a bit more.
I may be able to livestream this game, and we a certain amount of us could be on a time, playing on the server, making awesome creations.
Anyone in?
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »

You have to keep in mind that Mythruna is in a very early stage of development.
So it has a load of awesome features but there is a lot to come.
I don't know what Paul plans to attract a greater audience and when he wants to do that.
ATM a very lot of people think of Mythruna as 'just another Minecraft clone' and don't realise that Mythruna is different and will be more and more different. I fear that videos/livetreams etc will attract more MCfanboys spamming the forum and griefing the server, that would suck.

Lets wait if Paul wants to promote now or later
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:55 AM »

agree with Caesar let's keep Brutus out for now................ Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:35 AM »

There is some truth to all of this.  The forum and community activity sort of comes in waves right now as different people hear about it.  I've done absolutely no marketing on my own and yet the community still grows in little fits and spurts.  The lack of any marketing on my part has been on purpose.

Mythruna is in a precarious place at the moment.  I have a ton of ideas and a pretty clear vision of where I want to go.  I could probably spend a good deal of time posting about my vision and the upcoming features but there is a double edge sword there.  It could turn out that some of my ideas are just impossible and have to be scaled back drastically.  It's one thing to give you guys a cool feature that you don't know is less than it was supposed to be.  Another thing entirely to have built up a high expectation only to disappoint.

The other side of it is that there is competition out there.  I'm pretty sure I'm mostly invisible on the radar but you never know.  The more I write about stuff way in advance the more likely it is that some other MC-like game gets an idea it didn't have before.  I think this is sort of unlikely but I'm still stinging a little from all of the new features MC gets in the next update that were items directly on my roadmap.  And while I will do them differently and in my opinion better, it still makes a bullet to bullet comparison seem a little "samey".

So all of this leads to a problem.  I can tell new users that things will be different and some will see where I'm going and understand (like you guys).  But since I can't really write about too much of it in detail yet, many others will just see "Minecraft with different textures" and in the best case just dismiss the game and in the worst case actively grief the game.  Which is all sort of par for the course especially given the few comparison videos that have generated all kinds of hate.  But I will be unlikely to encourage that myself until I have a stronger platform to stand on.

When physics and town generation is in, with the beginnings of AI started, and maybe one or two more small features are in, I will probably be just as likely to promote things as anyone.

Another thing to consider is that it was 6 weeks since my last update.  That creates a pretty sizable lull.  I hope not to be in a position to do that again.  There were extenuating circumstances in this case since I switched gears after having worked on the most major feature of the engine.

Bottom line: I don't mind people promoting the game on their own.  It's how I've met a lot of great players after all.  And I really enjoy chatting with all of you.  However, promoting it just to keep the forums churning may not be the best motivation depending on how that promotion is done.

Thanks for the interest.  It's clear a lot of you really care about the success of the game and that means a lot to me.
deadering

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »

I really do care about it's development even though I don't get on the forums much. I realize it is in early development and I am impressed what it is now, let alone what it could become. Many ideas you are already implementing set you apart from the rest of these types of games, and anyone who matters can see that. I believe it will become quite an awesome game if you stick with it :3

On that note I think it is best not to start promoting it yet, as many would not realize it was early stages, no matter how much you put it >.> I have seen it all too many times; It can do more harm then good.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »

Although, I never said soon, but just anytime Paul thinks we should start promoting it. ^^
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

Although, I never said soon, but just anytime Paul thinks we should start promoting it. ^^

Gotcha! Smiley 

BTW, love the sig line. Smiley
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:21 AM »

Well... Like Caeser said "ATM a very lot of people think of Mythruna as 'just another Minecraft clone'" For now I believe the main point of development should be spent on making more RPG elements like NPC's, Towns, ect. Since Minecraft is mostly (My Point of view) aways leaning on the creative side which, I do not find interest to. Therefor development should be spent on more RPG elements or... I forgot what the game was gonna be based on Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »

Yeah, and it's hard when the "adventure update" seeks to hit a lot of the features on my roadmap (in a much lesser way, fortunately).

I've still got a few more tweaks to the Property System before I could release a minimal version without the management UI.  However, last night I was doing a final mock-up of the management UI screen and I may reassess how long that will take.  If it's only going to be another two days then I may just wait.  It will be easier to make tutorials on how to use it if all of the UI elements are there.

...and as it turns out, some of the property system features are the first steps to town/city generation.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

I can see Mythruna in two years...
People riding dragons around like no tomorrow, and others protecting their bases from NPCs, and me continuing to build Atlantis...
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »

Heheheh.  Well, hopefully you'll be letting NPCs build some things by that point so you can earn some gold from your townspeople.  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: