Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 10:22:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crafting discussion - split from other topic  (Read 5241 times)
scorch

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:18:57 AM »

There are still one or two feasibility questions I have to answer for myself before I can really be too much more specific.  For example, even the question "How will item crafting work?" depends on a few things.
Well, I know the topic isn't about this, but I wanted to give my opinion about this. i think crafting should be done by actually build stuff, in the blueprints editor or in the real world. This would really give the sensation of crafting and building the stuff. It would also be a chalange for us, you could say: "Now you can craft a sleeping bed" and people would have to find what is the right build, based on what a bed is in real life. Of course, the crafting wouldn't require us to build a "high-poly" version of the bed, because if we would want to make two o three, it would be boring, but a simple version of a bed. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »

Yes, you are on the right track.  And for the most part, you can already craft these objects and I'm pretty confident that I will be able to make them appropriately useable.  You won't have to discover the exact recipe for a chair... just make something about the right height with enough of a flat surface to sit on and people can sit on it.  Likewise, if a big flat soft thing is big enough for a person then they will be able to sleep on it... maybe even sleep better or worse depending on how soft or whatever.  These things are pretty easy to detect and deal with so I'm reasonably confident that I can make that work.

I'd like to extend this to items and tools, too... if I extend physics far enough and use it to calculate certain properties about an item then maybe I can tell that the long sharp metal thing you've made makes a pretty good weapon when used a certain way.  Or that the small sharp pointy thing you've made will make a good chisel but probably take a lot of damage as you use it on certain materials because it's made of stone.  The only thing I know for sure is that if I extend object crafting type of building to item crafting that the scale will be much much smaller... but I'm 75% sure it will be more about building up the parts then just placing blocks that sort of look right.  I just have to see how much abuse the engine can take in that regard or see if some of the tricks I've designed on paper will work.

Much of that could turn out to be impossible... but it will be fun to see.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »

I have to spend my 2 cents here.

Crafting should be a leveling ability. So you have to spend your experience to be able to make better things like certain materials, adding gems, repair at higher %...
E.g. a high level warrior travels around and starts a adventure quest or whatever. Weapons will wear off of break eventually so the warrior has to have a teammate being able to repair the highlevel euqipment. So you could implement teamplaying and clans quite easily simply by the fact that you need them. That adds tons of variety.
Just imagine a team of some warriors, a blacksmith, a medic, a salesman being able to put all the loot on the wagon his horse is pulling etc. wandering around, exploring random dungeons/forests/abandoned villages/haunted houses and stuff.
Would be awesome =)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: