Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:09:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: WIP: Flame painting...  (Read 43453 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »

Sometimes you guys are interested in the "magic" behind the scenes.  Here is the work in progress of the flame texture painting I did last night.  Still lots to do to it as flames are a pain to paint.

http://i.imgur.com/rfXjgUj.jpg
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

I think a style like this will fit Mythruna better than the other ones.
Even if it were a realistic-graphics game, those flames were too yellow for most fires.

Edit: after watching the stock videos of fire on the jmonkey forums, I think what bothers me is that the flames were too clean wnd well-defined.
But then I haven't been spending hours slaving over the appearance of fire, so suffice it to say that the samples you have here look more like I would expect fire to be in Mythruna that the other ones.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:53:16 PM by BenKenobiWan » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »

I think a style like this will fit Mythruna better than the other ones.
Even if it were a realistic-graphics game, those flames were too yellow for most fires.

Edit: after watching the stock videos of fire on the jmonkey forums, I think what bothers me is that the flames were too clean wnd well-defined.
But then I haven't been spending hours slaving over the appearance of fire, so suffice it to say that the samples you have here look more like I would expect fire to be in Mythruna that the other ones.

Yeah... though regarding the "too yellow" thing, I think the left/new fire in the latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivqGrs0IDsc

...is pretty darn close to something I'd be proud to have in a photorealistic game.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »

Note: for those wondering... my process may not be 100% apparent from this screen shot.

Those small really bright flames in the lower right are the photo-flames that the current videos were using.  I left them there for reference.  On the left you can see one of the flame tutorials I read and I loaded it to have more reference points.

To finish, I need to clean up some of the lines and brighten up the bright places.  Some of the shading needs some more layering, too.  It's kind of one of these "keep doing it until it's done" sort of things... with no idea when "done" will arrive.

that said, I loaded three of these into my flame effect and they didn't look bad already.  So... I'm hopeful.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »

Yes I love this flame! Agreed BenKenobiWan, it just seemed too realistic and yellow.

To finish, I need to clean up some of the lines and brighten up the bright places.  Some of the shading needs some more layering, too.  It's kind of one of these "keep doing it until it's done" sort of things... with no idea when "done" will arrive.

Heh, at some point, you will know when to put down the brush Smiley

Mind me asking if that is a torrented Photoshop version?
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

Yes I love this flame! Agreed BenKenobiWan, it just seemed too realistic and yellow.

Heh, at some point, you will know when to put down the brush Smiley

Mind me asking if that is a torrented Photoshop version?
It's best not to question where people obtain their Adobe products.  Grin

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »

Well, not everything is 'torrented'. And by that I mean not everything uses a torrent.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

I have two legal copies of Photoshop.  One is this old version that I'm used to and one is the newer one that came with my tablet that is fancier but not as comfortable.  Somewhere I have an even more ancient version but I don't know what I did with it.

When you want to make a game for commercial purposes it is best not to undermine your foundation by using unlicensed tools.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »

I have two legal copies of Photoshop.  One is this old version that I'm used to and one is the newer one that came with my tablet that is fancier but not as comfortable.  Somewhere I have an even more ancient version but I don't know what I did with it.

When you want to make a game for commercial purposes it is best not to undermine your foundation by using unlicensed tools.
Besides, if you are making a game for commercial purposes, I'm sure you have the money to at least buy something anyways.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »

ehh.. you've gotta spend money to make money.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »

ehh.. you've gotta spend money to make money.

...or use the free tools.  (GIMP in this case.)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »

So, I mentioned that last night I took the unfinished hand-painted flames and put them in my demo just to see what they looked like.  Even unfinished, I think they look ok... at least encouraging.  The flame on the right is the one with the old photo-flame textures using what I feel is the best configuration.  The one on the left is using three of the hand-painted flame images from above.

So when I improve the contrast and stuff I think it will look fine.  I can't really tweak any of the fire settings until the flames are fully complete.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »

The flames look like lightning. So magical!

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »

the right one looks best to me, just because it seems to have more defined flames than the left one. Though i may not really notice if the flames were moving...

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »

the right one looks best to me, just because it seems to have more defined flames than the left one. Though i may not really notice if the flames were moving...

Yes, well the left one is not done yet and as you can see from the above images the contrast is poor.  Anyway, the right one looks better but it also looks more real.  I'm going for more of a painting effect... think Frazetta camp fire style or something. Smiley  Or at least more along those lines.

Still, it's important to show that I _could_ have made real looking flames and that I just chose not to because they'd look out of place. Smiley

Edit: Actually more like if Frazetta painted a campfire.  Can't find a single decent campfire pic.  I should have picked a different fantasy artist. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: