Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 01:20:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: WIP: Flame painting...  (Read 43459 times)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »

the right one looks best to me, just because it seems to have more defined flames than the left one. Though i may not really notice if the flames were moving...

Yes, well the left one is not done yet and as you can see from the above images the contrast is poor.  Anyway, the right one looks better but it also looks more real.  I'm going for more of a painting effect... think Frazetta camp fire style or something. Smiley  Or at least more along those lines.

Still, it's important to show that I _could_ have made real looking flames and that I just chose not to because they'd look out of place. Smiley

Edit: Actually more like if Frazetta painted a campfire.  Can't find a single decent campfire pic.  I should have picked a different fantasy artist. Smiley
I like the left one better because it doesn't look like a buffering video.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »

I like the left one better because it doesn't look like a buffering video.

Heheh... that is the other down side.  It is definitely not a video and not even a conventional animation.  Just those three flame textures (which are even the same one just rotated) and I cycle through them and do some funky tricks.  The fact that it looks like a streaming video is both good and bad at the same time. :-/

Maybe someday I will put together a video of all of the different effects that combine to make that.

Actually, here is a first video I made to show another one of the JME guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6peQKIuYo0
It's just a single static image with a heat effect.  That is one of the core animations in the full fire effect.  I did it as a test just to see what it would look like when I was going to remake my particle flames... and I liked it so much that I pursued it instead of particles.  The rest is history.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »

Here it is after a few hours of work tonight... other than tweaking, I think this is pretty close:
http://i.imgur.com/kIQQEET.png
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:49 AM »

In case this interests anyway... the steps it took to get there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Fxzw7lmhM
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

That effect would be very nice, could you implement it? (Not asking you to, this is a "Could you?" question)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »

That effect would be very nice, could you implement it? (Not asking you to, this is a "Could you?" question)

Which effect?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

And for any who may want to actually try it out in its current form.  I've uploaded another test build of my shader demo.
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-Linux.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-MacOSX.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-Windows.zip

This version includes a few variations on the hand-painted textures.  It only uses 3 of the 8 images I painted, though but that's enough for a good effect.  I think they look like a much better fit for Mythruna... even if they are less realistic overall.  They also look a bit more "alive" to me.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

Eheheh, I downloaded it and tried to use it then I remembered that my desktop doesn't have GLSL and OpenGL2 support Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »

Eheheh, I downloaded it and tried to use it then I remembered that my desktop doesn't have GLSL and OpenGL2 support Tongue

Yeah, it only works on machines that will run Mythruna, basically.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »

You already have the effect in so nevermind.

The 4th one on the download is my favourite. It fades into the air better than any of the other flames. Maybe add a heat effect above the fire like we discussed about how deserts will have a wavy effect in the air.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

The 4th one on the download is my favourite. It fades into the air better than any of the other flames. Maybe add a heat effect above the fire like we discussed about how deserts will have a wavy effect in the air.
The wavy heat in the air is referred to as a heat wave.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »

If they are the same order as in the picture above then the first and fourth should have identical "fading" but the center of the fourth one will be brighter.

The nice thing is that it's just a parameter tweak... so technically I could use different versions of the flame for different kinds of fire/combustion.  After all, it could turn out that "things on fire" would prefer the second/third versions since they are less intense and may look more like something burning than something with a fire laid on top of it.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »

If they are the same order as in the picture above then the first and fourth should have identical "fading" but the center of the fourth one will be brighter.

The nice thing is that it's just a parameter tweak... so technically I could use different versions of the flame for different kinds of fire/combustion.  After all, it could turn out that "things on fire" would prefer the second/third versions since they are less intense and may look more like something burning than something with a fire laid on top of it.
Maybe something like a house burning for 4th?

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »

cool, a house burning. Or maybe that campfire? I can't wait till theres enough features in for me to make a decent 2nd trailer  Grin Once almost everything is in i'm gonna make one killer of a fan trailer (made entirely of clips from my adventures).

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

cool, a house burning. Or maybe that campfire? I can't wait till theres enough features in for me to make a decent 2nd trailer  Grin Once almost everything is in i'm gonna make one killer of a fan trailer (made entirely of clips from my adventures).
Nice, you are going to use Player POV.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: