Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 04:48:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 7758 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

Mirrors would be an awesome addition to the game, mainly after player modelling is created. They would be good as thinner surface plates (similar space usage to minecraft's slabs) that can be placed on walls, floors and ceilings/rooftops giving off a reflection from the mirrors point of view. I've seen it done before on map mods for games, but not in Battlefield 3 by EA. I have no clue how to create it, except for the fact that the mirror model is assigned a texture, then the reflective property is assigned by a shader.

TL;DR: Mirrors would be a good addition as a slab feature. Wink

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »

Every mirror plane requires the whole scene to be rendered again from that perspective.  Even worse, things that were clipped from the regular camera may not be clipped from the point of view of the mirrored camera and so you end up even rendering lots of different stuff.

ie: it's very expensive, performance-wise.
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »

Worst case scenario: some wise guy puts two mirrors together and crashes the game. I see the problem now

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »

Worst case scenario: some wise guy puts two mirrors together and crashes the game. I see the problem now
Portal can do it though.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »

Portal can do it though.

If you put a portal in front of you and behind you then how many portals can you see through before it stops?

How many portals can you place in Portal?  I thought it was just two.  That's a few less than thousands and thousands. Wink
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

Portal can do it though.

If you put a portal in front of you and behind you then how many portals can you see through before it stops?

How many portals can you place in Portal?  I thought it was just two.  That's a few less than thousands and thousands. Wink
I believe it stops around seven layers, and you can only have two in Portal 1. It kinda fades out into fogginess, so the transition isn't to obvious.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

Portal can do it though.

How many portals can you place in Portal?  I thought it was just two.  That's a few less than thousands and thousands. Wink
I believe it stops around seven layers, and you can only have two in Portal 1. It kinda fades out into fogginess, so the transition isn't to obvious.
I have a mirror on two of my walls that are parallel to each other, the amount of "portals" I see is quite infinite.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:20 AM »

Portal can do it though.

How many portals can you place in Portal?  I thought it was just two.  That's a few less than thousands and thousands. Wink
I have a mirror on two of my walls that are parallel to each other, the amount of "portals" I see is quite infinite.
In the video game Portal?
Or were you not trying to correct me?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: