Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 11:59:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Hand drawn" shader...  (Read 35693 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »

Had this rolling around in the back of my mind for some time and I will need it soon-ish for... things.

It needs some tweaking but in general, I think it works:

I will eventually give the "ink" a more brownish tone and weather the background paper a little.  Also, the lines need some anti-aliasing and I'll probably spend my life tweaking the edge detection thresholds.  The hard lines have a texture too but you can't tell... so I may tweak that in the future also.

...but I think it's an interesting effect anyway.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:18:42 AM »

...in the end, I will probably have to setup a set of parameters that I tweak based on time of day.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »

Amazing Paul! And by "hand drawn" I assume digitally hand drawn Wink
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:44:23 AM »

I think you outdid yourself on the shader. Fading will be cool too.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

Amazing Paul! And by "hand drawn" I assume digitally hand drawn Wink

Yes, it's a digital effect that is meant to look like the picture is hand drawn.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »

awesome shader great job paul  Cheesy

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

I couldn't resist tweaking it some more after a good night's sleep...

(This was originally posted to the JME forums so may be a little developer-oriented, not sure.)

I updated the shader to have two tones of crosshatch.  I think it helps make things look less like an old photograph and a bit more like a sketch.  I tried to take some of the same vantage points.  Let's see how we do...

It doesn't always do a great job but Mythruna is kind of a hard world to sketch because of the blocks.

Here we see two shots of the same view.  The underlying fractal noise prevents them from being exactly the same...

Indoor scenes are 10x better.  I didn't even show any last time because they were "meh"... but this is nice, I think:

The water gets a little weird but I think the overall composition is still nice:

And most of the world just looks pretty great:

Back to the little farm...

Two of the same view with different lighting...

I think in real life I actually have pencil sketched sunsets like this at one time or another:

I kind of need to stop messing with it for a while, though. Smiley  Get some real work done or something.  It was a fun few hour diversion, though.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

First off...
OH MY GOODNESS!! I looked at those pictures while listening to your Mythruna Menu song and it just embraces the theme of the artistry, made it highly intense.. ♥lol

Secondly,
Paul, I think it is time to put down the pencil (or close down the program) because you don't want to overwork your masterpieces, at that point they aren't as great..
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »

Oh, those look nice. The reason why water looks meh is because: No reflections to draw!

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

First off...
OH MY GOODNESS!! I looked at those pictures while listening to your Mythruna Menu song and it just embraces the theme of the artistry, made it highly intense.. ♥lol

Secondly,
Paul, I think it is time to put down the pencil (or close down the program) because you don't want to overwork your masterpieces, at that point they aren't as great..

Yeah, the thing is, I had an idea so I had to see where it would go.  And it worked out better.

I need this ability for a few reasons, some sooner rather than later.  Eventually, I would like in-game drawing to be a skill.  So not only did I need something that looked hand-drawn but I also needed to be able to adjust the relative quality of the different parts.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »

Oh, those look nice. The reason why water looks meh is because: No reflections to draw!

Well, the uniform bumps do funny things to the edge detection, also.  Pencil drawings don't always bother with reflections either.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »

Well, the uniform bumps do funny things to the edge detection, also.  Pencil drawings don't always bother with reflections either.
Yea, I was about to say, due to the fact that reflections aren't really an edge.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »

Yea, I was about to say, due to the fact that reflections aren't really an edge.

This is an image based technique... so it would actually work on a photograph.  I had to do it this way because I would miss texture details otherwise.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »

I snapped this pic when I was testing the third person camera and I've kept it open in a corner of my desktop because I find it kind of inspiring:

So, earlier I had to go back and take a hand-sketched version just for fun:

fun stuff.
kindland

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:15:08 AM »

I snapped this pic when I was testing the third person camera and I've kept it open in a corner of my desktop because I find it kind of inspiring
So, earlier I had to go back and take a hand-sketched version just for fun
fun stuff.

Nice effect, i believe it's applied in game right?

ps. If u need help with photshop stuff's i can help you ( interface, textures, etc)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: