Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 07:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny pictures...  (Read 15256 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »

When making the backpack that some of you have seen elsewhere, I tried to have the textures stretch over the whole object.  My first attempt didn't succeed and I didn't have time to work out the math.  Today the proper math popped into my head so I added it to the world mesh generator just to test it.  Basically, instead of a single texture covering a single block, I stretch them over 8x8 blocks for testing.  A real inventory item will probably be 10x10 or 16x16 or something.

I've wanted to do this for a long time for other reasons, too.  Back when I added the fractal "dirt" noise that you guys can play with in the last public version, I used a similar concept to stretch the fractal over a 32x32 area.  So the fractal noise doesn't repeat until 32 blocks away.  So, similarly, this technique could be used to provide large scale textures for far away with a detail texture overlay coming into view when you get closer.  Lots of games do this, technically I can now too.  You'll see...

So let's see what these silly things look like while I still have the engine temporarily hacked.

The familiar spawn town castle:

Looks kind of funny.

The trees and some non-repeating textures don't like it much but that's not the point.

The dirt texture actually looks kind of cool stretched.  I could imagine layering in a higher res texture on top or something.

Even the water looks particularly nice without such much repeating:

Even though the texture would need to be higher res to support something like this, the cobble magnified 8x really has a nice scale to it:

There's just no way to create that kind of impact with block-constrained textures.  Sometime in the future, I may have to play with this further for some new materials. Smiley

The real reason this is important is because for small items, the repeating textures just look really horrible.  Especially when I get into metal and stuff, having a solid texture like these will let me do some cooler things.

For now they just look a bit silly.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:12:18 AM »

That is so funny..
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:42:17 AM »

Wow, The cobble actually does look nice at that scale.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »

nice new textures paul

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »

I guess Mythruna is now compatible with the Nintendo64.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »

NOW THAT IS FUNNY
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »

Heheh.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »

The last picture reminded me of Super Mario 64 Smiley

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »

This will be awesome once it gets properly tweaked! I hadn't been expecting a fix for the boring repetitive texture thing.
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »

This makes the world look huge, some sort of Alice in Wonderland feel.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 06:11:28 AM »

Heheh... true.  If I used a really strong depth of field filter then it would look like you are walking around in a model world. Smiley  (Not going to... just saying.)
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »

Heheh... true.  If I used a really strong depth of field filter then it would look like you are walking around in a model world. Smiley  (Not going to... just saying.)
"Paul: So hey guys, I decided to add this really strong depth of field filter to see what it would look like and it looks very nice." This always happens when you suggest something yourself.  Cool

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »

"Paul: So hey guys, I decided to add this really strong depth of field filter to see what it would look like and it looks very nice." This always happens when you suggest something yourself.  Cool

Depth of field is already there and I've already played with it.  Some of the drop shadow scenes had blurring backgrounds...

I use it for the water now and I will use it for "things" in the future... but likely not for general view.  It makes the sky and sun and stuff blurry too (rightfully so) but that doesn't make for very good scenes in general.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

See what I mean. You already had done that.  Grin

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

See what I mean. You already had done that.  Grin

Heheh... yeah.  But it's been there as long as there has been "underwater".  So for a while now. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: