Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:41:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a few questions...  (Read 10222 times)
rickywsf

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »

Hello. So I've come across a few things that I seem to be having a problem with.
1. I crafted a streetlamp, because the nights are sooo dark, and when I placed it I was quite surprised. It was so dim. It hardly gave off any light whatsoever. Is there a way to set the brightness of the lights in the blueprint maker? When I place a magic light in the game world it is much brighter.
2. I'm also trying to make a street. I like the diagonal pieces. I know this sounds stupid but I assume only one block can fill a space. I'm trying to get the sidewalk to line up with the road in a diagonal line but I keep getting little empty triangles where the other half of the block should be. I have a feeling this is just the way it is.
3. I tried multiplayer. It seems like a wasteland of ruins. Everything looks torn apart. I was under the impression that other players couldn't alter your property, but it looks like swiss cheese out there. Which brings me to question...
4. Are there going to be other maps available. If it's randomly generated Why are multiplayer and single player on the same map? If in single player I explore and expand the map will it be the same map as the multiplayer map?
Ok. I think those are my initial questions. When I have more I will definitely be back.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »

Hello, and welcome to Mythruna first of all!

Now, I'll start answering your questions as best as I can:

1. Light 'blocks' inside of objects currently DO NOT emit light, despite the obvious fact they glow. This is an upcoming project of Paul, and will be use so you can carry torches around that light up the world around you.

2. Yes, only one block may occupy an air block at one particular time. I found a way to get around this (Sort of) by using objects (Blueprints)! You can make a diagonal 'block' out of objects (The ratio is 1:4) so it looks like a full block, and then you can place as many combinations together! It does take awhile to get them lined up, and the textures will be stretched.

3. Yes, ruins! I'm sorry about that, but that server has been there since the start of Mythruna (Or so I hear) and people have massively griefed it since.... Only recently are there 'properties' that can protect land. Paul is working on a new spawn point in the same world, and is quiet far away from all the mess (It also has a ton of his naturally generating buildings that are coming in a later update! Early viieeewwwingggg!!!).

4. Ahaha! I said the same thing. You are correct, the world can be randomly generated. When you download the game, however, the default world is downloaded as well, so you are forced to use the same world as everyone else. To get around this, you have to open the folder you downloaded and delete the world so it may randomly generate (As opposed to using the default world). You will be able to select multiple worlds in (Yet again) another upcoming update. I don't quiet remember what the folder you have to delete is... but it might be lib or mythruna.db. I would attempt moving one out, testing, and then moving it back if it didn't work. Keep trying moving folders out of the main folder until you get a brand new fresh world.

I hope I answered your questions sufficiently! If you have any more (As you had already told us you did), just ask!!!

-Teknonick,
The Awesome
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

Hi, Teknonick answered many of your questions correctly.

Regarding the random world, the default seed is 0 and the regular single player game doesn't give you a way to change this without diving into files.

There are two ways you can go if you want to try a different seed:
1) edit the world.info file in the mythruna.db directory and then remove any existing node* directories.

2) or, download the stand-alone server, run it to setup a world with a different seed and then just copy its mythruna.db to where you run the single player client.

None of these worlds will have any default buildings in them (yet) because the ones in seed=0 are hand planted for now.
rickywsf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

Hi Paul. Ok got the game seed down. No problems there. I did think of something else though. I find it hard to pick land for property. I am assuming that is what all those tall towers are for. I found the higher up I went the easier it was to see the boundaries of the other properties around me. But it was still hard. Is there an easier way to see available property. Maybe when you have the property object selected you are given the ability to float vertical (only) so you could look straight down and see boundaries. Maybe you could see boundaries when you zoom into the map close enough. I think some of the properties are abandoned because I've accidentally deleted things on properties and I didn't think you could do that. Maybe on the map there could be a toggle that allows you to see the normal map and then an overlay of the available and taken areas. But perhaps only on the closest map zoom. I have OCD so when I walked around the multiplayer world all I wanted to do was clean it up and give more order to the world! Haha. It's so hard to get to the outskirts.
Thanks Teknonick for the advice on the blueprint idea. I'll give it a try. You said it takes four blueprint squares to one in game square?
Thanks again all.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »

Hi Paul. Ok got the game seed down. No problems there. I did think of something else though. I find it hard to pick land for property. I am assuming that is what all those tall towers are for. I found the higher up I went the easier it was to see the boundaries of the other properties around me. But it was still hard. Is there an easier way to see available property. Maybe when you have the property object selected you are given the ability to float vertical (only) so you could look straight down and see boundaries. Maybe you could see boundaries when you zoom into the map close enough. I think some of the properties are abandoned because I've accidentally deleted things on properties and I didn't think you could do that. Maybe on the map there could be a toggle that allows you to see the normal map and then an overlay of the available and taken areas. But perhaps only on the closest map zoom. I have OCD so when I walked around the multiplayer world all I wanted to do was clean it up and give more order to the world! Haha. It's so hard to get to the outskirts.
Thanks Teknonick for the advice on the blueprint idea. I'll give it a try. You said it takes four blueprint squares to one in game square?
Thanks again all.
Hehehe... OCD really kills us all (Specifically when you have the actual disorder. :O). I've been known to do that! I actually went over to a dojo somewhere near the spawn and fixed it up. I haven't finished it yet of course.... Another tip, try to get far away from the spawn. Your'll have plenty of room out there for building properties! I had to. And if you want me to show you what I meant (I actually have a hard time following what I said before), I can get into the server and show you what I meant. There's a few techniques that you can do to make it a lot easier IG, but I haven't been on in awhile so I'd have to get in and test for a few minutes before I said anything to you.
rickywsf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »

Sure let's go!
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

Alright! I'm currently logged into the official server if you want to join now.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »

You can't delete blocks in properties.  If you were able to delete blocks then you weren't in a property, I guess.
rickywsf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

Unless they moved their property, right? Or abandoned it? I don't even know if those are options. Now for a different subject. Are you making any more shapes for blocks? I ask because I was making a dock with the wood half depth block and the dock ran diagonal but there was no half depth diagonal piece to make it a smooth edge. Just wondering.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »

Unless they moved their property, right? Or abandoned it? I don't even know if those are options. Now for a different subject. Are you making any more shapes for blocks? I ask because I was making a dock with the wood half depth block and the dock ran diagonal but there was no half depth diagonal piece to make it a smooth edge. Just wondering.
As I said before, for now you can use objects to scale things better. It's a pain for quiet awhile (I'm not going to say 'at first'), but your'll get the hang of it. I'm planning on pulling my whole road out and replacing it with objects to make them consistent, and so I can add 'corner' things that I want.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »

They can pick up there properties but there is no concept of "abandoned" otherwise.  Most people leave them there and then the area is protected forever unless I have cause to move it.

Since I never gave anyone a time limit I have trouble removing properties just because someone hasn't been on in a while.

I don't plan to add any blocks for diagonal docks, really.  To make enough blocks it would take up 8 slots or more for relatively little gain.  I'm more likely to add multi-use shapes than such "single use" ones.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »

They can pick up there properties but there is no concept of "abandoned" otherwise.  Most people leave them there and then the area is protected forever unless I have cause to move it.

Since I never gave anyone a time limit I have trouble removing properties just because someone hasn't been on in a while.

I don't plan to add any blocks for diagonal docks, really.  To make enough blocks it would take up 8 slots or more for relatively little gain.  I'm more likely to add multi-use shapes than such "single use" ones.
Okay... here's a question.

You have played Minecraft, that is a given. (OOPS, I SAID IT! lol) You remember when they first came out with multiple types of slabs? My first instinct was to go make a new world, cut down a tree, dig up some cobble, and make both types of slabs. I placed the first on the ground, then the other on top... but it was hovering over it, as only one block can occupy a space at one time (Including the AirBlock, WaterBlock, TallGrass... ETC).

My question is, would it be too hard to make it so you could, say, place one slab of one block, and another of another block on the other so they occupy the same spot (Without having to make them objects, as that can make placing take a LOT longer, and the texture is... smaller)?

I know that question is kind of boring and not a very cool thing to add... but it can make constructions WAAAY better. Just adding a single extra corner block can change the look of an entire city to look COMPLETELY different.

Also: I don't think this counts, as water isn't going to be a block in the future... but it would also help for water being able to occupy a corner block that is touching water (Though, you might not have to do this as if water isn't a block, it would actually just flow into the opening).
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »

one block type per cell... it cannot be otherwise.  Just like I can't assign two different numbers to the variable 'i'.

When water isn't a block anymore then water won't be a block anymore.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

one block type per cell... it cannot be otherwise.  Just like I can't assign two different numbers to the variable 'i'.

When water isn't a block anymore then water won't be a block anymore.
Oh.... I remember a mod in Minecraft (COMPARING CHILDREN!!!) that actually could do this. Called Red Power (Now it's Project Red, as it died and was recently revived) that could let you combine blocks and hide wires inside of them too and such.... Really amazing mod, actually.

I thought so. XD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: