Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 04:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I'd like to share with you  (Read 16536 times)
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

I haven't checked on this thread everyday for a while. I still check anytime Paul posts outside of here and I return at least once a month to see what the community is doing. In the mean time I have learned many things about video games I thought I would share with this community for comment.
I am still a big VR enthusiast. I would love to play a exploring and crafting voxel game like mythruna in true 3d.
I have played many games in the past few months.
Antichamber, Arma 3, Batman:AC, Bioshock Infinite, devil may cry, from dust, GTA 5, just cause, kenshi, Rogue legacy, state of decay, the walking dead,under the ocean, and surgeon simulator.

I am currently playing DAYZ and Kerbel space program. I just finished Saints Row 4.

Not important but thought I would share.

If you haven't seen the latest VR news check the subreddit- reddit.com/r/oculus
This is something I have been thinking about allot www.smarcade.net

Let me know what you think.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »

I really (really) want Mythruna to be Rift-compatible.  I have some VR gear from the olden days (VFX1) and it was lots of fun even back then.

When I imagine the RPG that I want to play, it's always been VR or better.  There are a couple people working to get JME integrated with the Rift and I hope to piggy back on their hard work and get most of it for free. Smiley

In fact, the recent engine separating "eye position" from "player position" and having the first be directly tied to the model relative to the second was at least partially motivated by free-look style VR support down the road.
nh_99
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »

I really (really) want Mythruna to be Rift-compatible.  I have some VR gear from the olden days (VFX1) and it was lots of fun even back then.

When I imagine the RPG that I want to play, it's always been VR or better.  There are a couple people working to get JME integrated with the Rift and I hope to piggy back on their hard work and get most of it for free. Smiley

In fact, the recent engine separating "eye position" from "player position" and having the first be directly tied to the model relative to the second was at least partially motivated by free-look style VR support down the road.
Heheh, I had an opportunity to get an early dev version of the Leap Motion, which I declined due to not having enough time to do any dev with it, but I bought one soon after they came out and I would LOVE to see Mythruna work with that!
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »

Antichamber, Arma 3, Batman:AC, Bioshock Infinite, devil may cry, from dust, GTA 5, just cause, kenshi, Rogue legacy, state of decay, the walking dead,under the ocean, and surgeon simulator.

I am currently playing DAYZ and Kerbel space program. I just finished Saints Row 4.

I am currently playing SR4 and have almost all of the games you just mentioned  Smiley good taste

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »

Just saw this: http://imgur.com/gallery/abC1VAE

Add some sword controllers and we're there! Smiley
Zadkiel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:22 AM »

OMG... I want one of these!!
BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »

The omni is very cool. I think id need a larger version considering im a big and tall guy. They recently ditched the kinect tracking due to latency but it is neat. The head mounted display will need to lose the teather to make this work well. Im glade you show interest. Also you may look at steam dev days slides pertaining to designing for VR. You could port mythruna over but there are some aspects that need to be considered in the design.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Abrash%20Dev%20Days%202014.pdf
http://static.oculusvr.com/sdk-downloads/documents/OculusBestPractices.pdf
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Steam%20Dev%20Days%202014%20-%20VR%20and%20Steam.pdf

For more VR controls see;
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/89577853/stem-system-the-best-way-to-interact-with-virtual
http://www.roadtovr.com/reactive-grip-kickstarter-tactical-haptics-haptic-feedback-vr-controller/

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »

Yeah, it's all pretty neat.  These guys are kind of late to the game, though, as far as I'm concerned.

I had one of these: http://vrtifacts.com/hmds/retrospective-photo-review-of-forte-vfx1-virtual-reality-system/

...back in 1996 or so and it was a lot of fun to play with and write some software for.  Descent was still the best implementation of VR at the time.

So, I've been thinking about VR and AR for a long time now.  Some of what these guys are saying these days seems a little obvious.  They are nice references, though.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »

Note: it is nice to see that they are serious about optics.  That has always been the biggest single issue.

The office full of AR-style fiducial marks is awesome.  Somewhere I have a white paper where I suggested exactly such a thing for cheap head tracking.
BigredRm
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »

I ran across a video showing the Forte VFX1 and its motion puck a while back. It looks like they had the right idea. I would have creamed my pants for one of those in the day. Better late than never. Strangely AR doesn't set my mind on fire like VR does. It will still be neat but to immerse myself in something like Mythruna makes me hyper. With games where they are now and the hardware available I am suspect of any naysayers.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »

I ran across a video showing the Forte VFX1 and its motion puck a while back. It looks like they had the right idea. I would have creamed my pants for one of those in the day. Better late than never. Strangely AR doesn't set my mind on fire like VR does. It will still be neat but to immerse myself in something like Mythruna makes me hyper. With games where they are now and the hardware available I am suspect of any naysayers.

Yeah, my ideas for AR applications were to use as head tracking, motion tracking, and player input.  It gets a little ridiculous after a while but it's still the cheapest way to get all of that.

I imagined sticking some marks on your hand or a fake gun and then hanging big mark posters around an office building.  The game could then repaint the world however it wanted even to include dark illumination (even if the hallways are fully lit) and stuff.  The marks on your hand+gun would be to position your in-game hands and weapons in your field of view properly.  AR+VR head gear, a laptop in your backpack, and you'd be all set for some great 'real life' FPS games.

Not really appropriate for Mythruna, though.  Straight VR works better there.

For data visualization applications, AR would have been a big deal.  You could have your data floating right above your desk, turn it around with objects on the desk, etc.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »

BTW, did I say to Paul about the HP vs. HP thing? (Health points versus hit points.) I know this is the wrong thread to post this... but I wanna ask before I start a new thread asking about it in case I hadn't asked.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »

BTW, did I say to Paul about the HP vs. HP thing? (Health points versus hit points.) I know this is the wrong thread to post this... but I wanna ask before I start a new thread asking about it in case I hadn't asked.

I don't even really understand the question.  A lot of games seem to use those interchangeably.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »

I don't even really understand the question.  A lot of games seem to use those interchangeably.
Ah, so I haven't told you yet. That's why I asked. I have a whole system I want to share with you, because I think it might fit Mythruna and would be AWESOME if it could become part of Mythruna! I'm going to post what I mean by the differences (In said system) on another thread to keep this thread consistent... sorry for the interruption normal people! *Starts working on other thread*
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »

Ah, so I haven't told you yet. That's why I asked. I have a whole system I want to share with you, because I think it might fit Mythruna and would be AWESOME if it could become part of Mythruna! I'm going to post what I mean by the differences (In said system) on another thread to keep this thread consistent... sorry for the interruption normal people! *Starts working on other thread*

Well, there was this thread:
http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=1684.msg15496#msg15496
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: